Led Zeppelin - The Seasons

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 7299
Pagey just posted the embryonic version of what would become The Rain Song on his YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/_n1Bxp-YfTs 

Beautiful song.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything else which uses this tuning.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    Cols said:
    Pagey just posted the embryonic version of what would become The Rain Song on his YouTube channel.

Beautiful song.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything else which uses this tuning.
    I learned most of it in standard tuning as a teenager from the cursed official Zep book, clearly transcribed by a pianist

More recently I learned to play it in the correct tuning, sounds lovely.

I have a guitar I keep in this tuning, it's very nice to improvise in it, can sound a bit like Page/Plant when they visited Morocco  
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    In their top 3 songs in terms of composing alongside Ten Years Gone and Kashmir.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    Cols said:

I learned most of it in standard tuning as a teenager from the cursed official Zep book, clearly transcribed by a pianist

I have a guitar I keep in this tuning, it's very nice to improvise in it, can sound a bit like Page/Plant when they visited Morocco  
    I also learned it in standard tuning from a really terrible tab book that had loads of bits missing. For example it didn't have the Stairway solo - never mind, it's not like it's iconic or anything.

So I can play a massively wonky version of The Rain Song. The outro is one of my favourite guitar compositions. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    Cols said:

My fave Zep tune ever , and agree about 'that ' book lol  i remember it being awkward in standard and sounding wrong and in the tuning  years later perfect and a piece of piss ....  ;)

• ColsCols Frets: 7299
    Cols said:

The acoustic/orchestral version of The Rain Song which they did on Unledded is particularly nice.  Didn’t make it onto the album, but it was on the DVD.

https://youtu.be/BeDylD8dV7U 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    Jimmy Page:-
    Session Musician ~1960-1966
    Rock Star 1966-1980
    Curator, Led Zeppelin museum  1980-present

Only John Bonham has made less music since Led Zeppelin disbanded, and his excuse is considerably better than Page's.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seven studio albums, two live albums, and two soundtrack albums since 1980.

And fuck all since 2000, unless you count issuing an album of stuff he recorded for a film that was made in 1972.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    That's a great little quiz: naming them all. I can't come up with the seventh studio album even if I count that Roy Harper record he's on @Grumpyrocker - very infuriating! 

Studio
    The Firm
    Mean Business
    Jugula (w/Roy Harper)
    Outrider
    CP
    Clarksdale

Live
    No Quarter
    Live at the Greek w/TBC.

Soundtracks
    DWII
    Lucifer Rising.

As much as I love the guy his playing hasn't been the best since 1980 either - hopefully he's woodshedding like crazy to prove me wrong at the upcoming Beck tribute show.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Honeydrippers

To be fair, it’s not just Page - JPJ has also been largely confined to light duties since 1980.  Only Robert Plant has kept momentum on a solo career.
    That's a great little quiz: naming them all. I can't come up with the seventh studio album even if I count that Roy Harper record he's on @Grumpyrocker - very infuriating! 

Honeydrippers Vol.1 I think.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110

Honeydrippers Vol.1 I think.
    Well, he's on it but I always thought of it as an EP. We could count Now and Zen too if a couple of tracks is enough!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    JPJ did the Diamanda Galas album, and the thing with Josh from QOTSA, so pretty prolific really.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    andy_k said:
    JPJ did the Diamanda Galas album, and the thing with Josh from QOTSA, so pretty prolific really.
    He also did that Zooma album around 98/99. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    andy_k said:
    Man, Zooma was a great album.  And the live performances supporting it were absolutely monstrous.

He did a second solo album as well.  Still, I wouldn’t exactly call 4 albums in 43 years prolific.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424

As much as I love the guy his playing hasn't been the best since 1980 either - hopefully he's woodshedding like crazy to prove me wrong at the upcoming Beck tribute show.
    I wouldn't count on it - he's 79 now.

I would expect a bit of rhythm guitar backing up someone else, like he did here with JB back in 2009:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    JPJ the did the orchestration on Automatic For The People and bass with Them Crooked Vultures. 

Those alone put him WAY above Page for post-Zep output. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Page was a good fit with The Black Crowes.
    live at the Greek is a great album.

They could have gone on to write some interesting stuff together, but…well, Steve Gorman’s book tells the story of how that panned out better than I could.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Cols said:
    Devil#20 said:
    andy_k said:
    Man, Zooma was a great album.  And the live performances supporting it were absolutely monstrous.

He did a second solo album as well.  Still, I wouldn’t exactly call 4 albums in 43 years prolific.
    I know. I was living and working in Fort Worth Texas when that album came out. He did a not very heavily advertised gig at a small  club above a restaurant in downtown FW at the time. I managed to get in and I guess the audience numbered about 50 or 60 people at most. It was a tremendous evening. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.