Led Zeppelin - The Seasons

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7299
    JPJ the did the orchestration on Automatic For The People and bass with Them Crooked Vultures. 

Those alone put him WAY above Page for post-Zep output. 
    In terms of quantity, or quality?

The first is at least measurable.  Neither Pagey nor Jonesy really kept active post-Zeppelin; Page did two albums with The Firm, one solo album, one soundtrack, Coverversion/Page, two Page/Plant albums (one full of excellent rearrangements of Zeppelin songs, and one which frankly sounded just like a Robert Plant solo album), the Live at Greek collaboration with the Black Crowes, and guested on a Roy Harper album.

Jonesy did the Diamanda Galas album, a couple of solo albums, Them Crooked Vultures and a soundtrack album.

Page did more recorded work, but neither of them can be regarded as having an impressive work rate over the past 4 decades. 

If it’s the quality of output, that’s subjective.  But I think we can all agree that none of the surviving members managed to record anything which was better than Led Zeppelin.  Although for my money the version of Kashmir on Unledded is the best I’ve heard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Page needs to stop wasting time. He’ll be 80 next January (born the same day as my mom, so it sticks in my head). Plenty of guys from his era have checked out way before 80 - you’d think a guy who laid Bonham to rest over 40 years ago would realise how precious time is.

He could have his choice of, literally, thousands and thousands of musicians who are up to the job of realising his musical ideas.

I suspect for him it is the sheer weight of history bearing down on him. He clearly still dearly loves  the works he created in Zeppelin, but….how do you follow being in Led Zeppelin?

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Page needs to stop wasting time. He’ll be 80 next January (born the same day as my mom, so it sticks in my head). Plenty of guys from his era have checked out way before 80 - you’d think a guy who laid Bonham to rest over 40 years ago would realise how precious time is.

He could have his choice of, literally, thousands and thousands of musicians who are up to the job of realising his musical ideas.

I suspect for him it is the sheer weight of history bearing down on him. He clearly still dearly loves  the works he created in Zeppelin, but….how do you follow being in Led Zeppelin?
    I don't know if there's any truth in the rumours but I think his hands may be arthritic nowadays and he's unable to play easily. I've seen him a few times in recent years pop up on stage to do a quick guest appearance and what he's playing doesn't look particularly involved. However, that said, he could still get somebody to realise his musical ideas like you say. Maybe he cba though. The royalties continue to roll in so I guess there is little incentive to drag him out of tower house and his ongoing spat with Robbie Williams. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Cols said:
    JPJ the did the orchestration on Automatic For The People and bass with Them Crooked Vultures. 

Those alone put him WAY above Page for post-Zep output. 
    In terms of quantity, or quality? 
    Quality is the only important thing. Always. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4070
    JPJ has also played with Seasick Steve, and I think he’s on one of his albums.

But yeah, I wish Page would do something.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    Cols said:
    Pagey just posted the embryonic version of what would become The Rain Song on his YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/_n1Bxp-YfTs 

Beautiful song.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything else which uses this tuning.

It’s in 
    a different tuning? I tried to learn it in standard tuning from a Led Zep Complete (pre-tab) book many years ago, no wonder I struggled with it. Apart from being a crap player of course. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    boogieman said:
    Cols said:
    Pagey just posted the embryonic version of what would become The Rain Song on his YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/_n1Bxp-YfTs 

Beautiful song.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything else which uses this tuning.

It’s in a different tuning? I tried to learn it in standard tuning from a Led Zep Complete (pre-tab) book many years ago, no wonder I struggled with it. Apart from being a crap player of course. 
    Yep; it’s in DGCGCD; Gsus4 tuning, a variation on DADGAD.  Really nice.
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 174
    JPJ has also played with Seasick Steve, and I think he’s on one of his albums.

And plenty more than that, if you look at his wikipedia page. Not a great deal of which I've heard, I must admit, but it mostly sounds interesting.