Road Tax Mess

What's Hot
OK been reported in the press. There is one point that seems to be missed.

I actually transferred the owner /registered keep on Tuesday so beat the change....but

If I had taken a secondhand card as of today , the tax is refunded to the seller and the buyer has to tax immediately..... but how ?   You have to fill in the the form V5C and post it off and until they process it the registered keeper has not changed , so the car will show as taxed . At some point the DVLA will change the status to not taxed when they refund the seller. The buyer has nothing to use to tax the vehicle or any reference to go online.

As far as I can see there is no online way of changing the registered keeper. Do you go to a post office (if you can find one) , and what will they do ?

I am sure someone on here will have the magic answer , but searching the DVLA site I can't see how. I just says you have to tax it , but not how !!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 778
    edited October 2014
    The Tax disc online website problems are due to badly tested software, they should have simulated huge amounts of simultaneous hits and transactions, but obviously they didn't test the software enough. I worked on the older, now defunct Tax Disc software development, which had few teething problems too.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited October 2014
    I believe that you can now tax the car online using the number from 'New Vehicle Supplement' from the V5C/2 which cuts out the weeks of waiting for the post. Guess you need to take a laptop with you if you want to drive it away there and then if it's a private sale.

Changing registered keeper doesn't really matter as the date the seller and the buyer write on the V5C will correspond.

But can you tax a car without being the registered keeper...???

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited October 2014

The whole new system seems to be half-thought at best.

The old system 10 minutes to tax the car, the other night it took me nearly 2 hours. And, according to the press, there was people who suffered much worse than that.

Maybe the whole thing is badly designed so as to make people default and not pay/struggle to pay, and then catch a bunch at £1000 a pop over the next month....

Edit, sorry, a bit of a rant.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    The DVLA won't refund on partial months.. so the existing tax should be at least valid to the end of the month..shouldn't it?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    2 mins this afternoon to tax my car online......don't see what all the fuss is about :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 778
    edited October 2014
    1nten5e said:
    2 mins this afternoon to tax my car online......don't see what all the fuss is about :)
    That's because the Software Development team will have probably worked day and night to fix it, I wish I was one of the software contractors, because they will have got a huge payout for the extra hours worked.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    My partner and I each sat at our computers and tried to tax one of our cars. I couldn't get on the site at all, she had no problem and it was taxed with confirmation email within a couple of minutes.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    The whole Gov website is a useless crock of Sh*te. I know that as we (at work) are part of it!  Tory idiots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

So can I now take my tax disc off the car?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Yes. And you can burn it. Or shove it upi your ass, Whichever you like.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I'm going to make mine into Xmas decorations, I seem to have accidentally collected all the ones I've had with my current car...11 off.

• KarlosSantos;367704" said:

But can you tax a car without being the registered keeper...???
    My main point exactly....
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited October 2014
    I believe that you can now tax the car online using the number from 'New Vehicle Supplement' from the V5C/2 which cuts out the weeks of waiting for the post. 
    Annoyingly you couldn't use the new keeper supplement online two flipping days ago, as that's what I was trying to do!  It would only accept either the number from the reminder or the one from the full V5, neither of which I have, as I only bought the car last week.  Had to trudge to the Post Office in the end, and I think the girl behind the counter was more confused about the new rules than I was. I see the website now accepts the V5/C.

Felt reeeaaaally odd to walk out of there with nothing but a receipt - I'm used to spending several minutes carefully tearing the perforations until one finally rips across the face of the disc, then a few more minutes struggling to get my damn tax disc holder to stick back on the windscreen properly. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I think most people are missing the point.  I mean do you really think the police are going to catch you without any tax, even if the ANPR camera does ring up your number?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Yes.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Your car is tracked constantly by cameras what do you think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I'II just say that someone must have cloned my 1996 Transit tipper, with a very specific rusty tipper body on it.  It's my word against theirs.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3109
    edited October 2014
    Utter bolocks this new system, the Gov collect revenue from Fuel, they could have put a penny or two onto fuel cost and the tax becomes fair, proportional and pay as you go.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought a van last week and walked into post office and taxed it, no problem, took all docs with me, and they kept the part of new owner stamped it and sent it off, so no charge to me! Lovely.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512

paulnb57 said:
    Utter bolocks this new system, the Gov collect revenue from Fuel, they could have put a penny or two onto fuel cost and the tax becomes fair, proportional and pay as you go.......
    Some would argue that that is in fact a less fair way of charging car tax.
    Tax is based on CO2 emission, engine size and fuel type (petrol/diesel). 

It's a shit system as it is, I agree but I don't know how it could be improved.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)