Road Tax Mess

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3109
    Emissions based tax is bollocks, because it doesnt take into account annual mileage, say for example I own a Fiat 500 which I use for repping up and down the countries arteries, say 30k miles a year. I pay £30 RFL,  then on the weekend I burble to the pub in my Bentlet Continental W12 engined behemoth and do 2k miles a year and have to pay £500 a year RFL, not fair or proportionate....The Fiat pollutes more than the Bentley due to higher mileage but pays less RFL.........utter bollocks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    paulnb57 said:
    Emissions based tax is bollocks, because it doesnt take into account annual mileage, say for example I own a Fiat 500 which I use for repping up and down the countries arteries, say 30k miles a year. I pay £30 RFL,  then on the weekend I burble to the pub in my Bentlet Continental W12 engined behemoth and do 2k miles a year and have to pay £500 a year RFL, not fair or proportionate....The Fiat pollutes more than the Bentley due to higher mileage but pays less RFL.........utter bollocks!
    In reality, how often does that happen?
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    paulnb57 said:
    You have a Bentley Continental? Cool!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    paulnb57 said:
    You have a Bentley Continental? Cool!

He also has a Fiat, less cool.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I've spotted a quite a few cars without tax discs so far.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I've spotted a quite a few cars without tax discs so far.
    I took mine out, as it expired exactly when they stopped issuing new ones, so no choice!

It feels really odd, to be honest - I've yet to see another car around here with no disc, and I still feel like I'm going to get pulled over by every passing fuzzmobile.  @-)
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Me too!

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mine's out. Nice (but a bit weird) to have a clear windscreen.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    Bolloxed up tax disc holder manufacturers too hasn't it ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    paulnb57 said:
    Utter bolocks this new system, the Gov collect revenue from Fuel, they could have put a penny or two onto fuel cost and the tax becomes fair, proportional and pay as you go.......
    I think this sounds fairer to me than the current system. I only use my van for giging, maybe doing 2k miles a year yet I gotta pay the same road tax as somone doing 50K miles a year. 

Some quick sums, 10K miles at 35mpg means about 50p on the galleon to recoup £150,  Doing 2k miles at 30 mpg I would pay about £33 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Plus there's the weight saving from not having a tax disc to carry around.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^
    D'you know I thought my KA felt faster !
    :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Plus there's the weight saving from not having a tax disc to carry around.
    That's where I'm going wrong, I just took mine off the windscreen and dropped it in the door pocket.

I shall look forward to the increased MPG when I finally dispose of them (in an environmentally responsible way of course).

Eco-warriors unite 

3:-O
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Alnico said:
    ^
    D'you know I thought my KA felt faster !
    :)
    By similar reasoning the same could be said of having a dump at home before morning commute rather than in work time?

This stuff really needs to go into Emp's Handy Tips thread!

• Danny1969 said:
    about 50p on the galleon to recoup £150
    Yarr that be a right economical vessel matey
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

Google 'Spate of number plate thefts'  It's happening in every town in every county. Place is going crazy. 

New system is a major PITA,  If I pick up a used Transit, not only do I have to travel there, which might be some 180 miles or so and check the thing over and arrange temporary insurance for it, but I also have to tax it by phone if I am to legally drive it, which probably won't happen gthe same day as the insurer will not update the database the same day, thus the DVLA will think I am uninsured and won't allow me to tax it.

So I'II have to chance a deposit and probably lose it and travel 360 miles each way instead.

Now I'm stuck to buying local vehicles, or getting them delivered on the back of a transporter.  What a load of total crap.

I reckon the whole thing is a con to get people to buy new and stimulate the economy and tax the consumer twice for the same month.

You know what?  I will be driving untaxed with a tazer, a pickaxe, a spade and a shovel and a length of rope.  Sod 'em.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock

Order a set of show plates with the registration number the reg number off one of the brand new Mercs driven by the local pikeys.

Stick them on your next Tranny, and Bob's yer uncle.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom