Perception of sound

What's Hot
A couple of months ago, I bought a Faith Neptune in all solid mango wood at the Guitar Show. I really liked how it played and how it sounded.

When I got it home, I fully expected it to sound different to how it did in a honking great room full of other people playing guitars.

And, sure enough, it did.

In fact, it sounded even better. It's been a long time since I was as happy with something I've bought. Even chocolate.

So last night I gave it it's first public airing at a singaround thing I like to go to. This takes place in a room about 30ft x 25ft, something like that. It's an old place, wooden floors, lots of other wooden things, and it had about 30-odd people in it.

And it sounded shit. Really disappointing.

Genuinely baffled.

Still, if nothing else, it shows how little you can really trust your ears when you're playing an acoustic, rather than listening to someone else play one - the difference in what you're hearing is colossal.
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 644
    No, you know it is not the guitar otherwise it would not have made you so happy when you got it home. I would think the people listening thought it sounded great. The sound would have been going out to them and you are basically sat behind that,and maybe the room was all wrong. You know playing at home playing in different rooms or different areas of a room can change the sound,so don't bin it yet. Try some other venues Dennis,you know how good it can sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    edited April 2023
    When I listen to someone else play my guitar, I am usually blown away by how good it sounds without the mistakes!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 644
    That is fantastic Tannin,that should put Dennis's mind at rest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited April 2023
    Tannin said:
    When I listen to someone else play my guitar, I am usually blown away by how good it sounds without the mistakes!

Me too! That was the first time I believed it when I was told the acoustic I made myself sounded great - I heard someone else playing it, and it really does!! D

'Baffled' was the wrong word to have used in my OP. I should have said surprised. I know exactly why guitars sound differently in different rooms, that was a silly thing to say.

Anyway, I only meant to give it as a good example of how different the same thing can sound in different circs, really.

And don't worry, @bluecat, I have no intention of binning it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    Acoustic guitars sound very different to the player than they do out in front of them.  My Martin doesn't sound that loud to me when I'm playing it.  I used to have another guitar that sounded louder to me as a player, but a dB meter in front of them both read about 3dB louder with the Martin.  3dB is about double the perceived volume, which is not what I was feeling as a player.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Yeah, they do project a lot of the sound forward which kinda makes sense since they were designed to project to an audience. And it definitely does make the experience of playing them not always representative of what they actually sound like out front.

Probably in your regular size room at home, that extra sound projecting forward is bouncing off the nearby walls and coming back at you. I find that even cheap acoustics sound massive when I play them facing into my bay window, because the whole bay acts like a parabolic dish focusing the sound back at me.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    What Cirrus said rings true - mine all sound quite different played in small rooms at home compared to big spaces or outdoors. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    I habitually sit in front of glass doors or windows for that very reason, @Cirrus - I love that blast of trebly goodness washing back of the glass. :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    sit on the stairs and play facing the wall as much as is poss  - its one of the best places for "self tone" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited April 2023
    bertie said:
    sit on the stairs and play facing the wall as much as is poss  - its one of the best places for "self tone" 
    In which case I doubt I'll ever hear it then - I live in a bungalow

But otherwise, excellent advice. I've done that just facing the wall, generally, and it does make a difference.

Having said that, I've always wanted a home with a bay window (@Cirrus), I grew up in one (the home, that is, not the bay window; then again, the amount of time I spent as a kid staring out at the rain...). Now I really want a home with a bay window.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Damn, bay windows actually are awesome. 
    Defo don't bin it yet and well done on getting out to play acoustic!
    When in shop and seriously going to buy, I always get the sales guy to play the guitar to me for similar reason.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    But how do you sit and play guitar in a bay window without having to face into the room ? 
    sev112 said:
    But how do you sit and play guitar in a bay window without having to face into the room ? 
    face the bay ?  
  • MellishMellish Frets: 951
    Facing this way, facing that; halfway up the stairs with one foot on the bannister......

The ingenuity of man, eh?

:) 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8957
    .... a room about 30ft x 25ft, something like that. It's an old place, wooden floors, lots of other wooden things, and it had about 30-odd people in it.
     I would hazard a bet that the floor and chairs were not made from decent tone wood.  Next time insist on furniture and flooring made from recognised tonewoods that are able to resonate sympathetically with acoustic guitar sounds, and even sit on one of them so the floor can act as an extension of your soundboard  ;)  Perhaps the 30 x "odd people" had something to do with the acoustics of the room.  Find a venue with normal people and see how it sounds.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20517
    ^ Spot on. It is pretty well established that the average random audience is far more dense & non reflective than a collection of enlightened guitar aficionados.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lol
    ??
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    The plain answer above re face the bay I found funny. Same as the room woods being certified tonewoods as extension to soundboard lol
  • BillDL said:
    .... a room about 30ft x 25ft, something like that. It's an old place, wooden floors, lots of other wooden things, and it had about 30-odd people in it.
     I would hazard a bet that the floor and chairs were not made from decent tone wood.  Next time insist on furniture and flooring made from recognised tonewoods that are able to resonate sympathetically with acoustic guitar sounds, and even sit on one of them so the floor can act as an extension of your soundboard  ;)  Perhaps the 30 x "odd people" had something to do with the acoustics of the room.  Find a venue with normal people and see how it sounds.
    This one of those times when, frankly, it's simply impossible to deny that I thoroughly deserved that.