Perception of sound

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8957
    There was one occasion way back around 1984 when I was doing a short folky "concert" in the small communal hall of a sheltered housing complex with my aunt on autoharp, my cousin on flute, and me on guitar.  My aunt, who was an opera singer, was going to sing a few opera songs solo and we were all going to do a few celtic and folk songs together.  I just took my dreadnought that I felt would be loud enough without an amp for the 20-odd people there and the size of the hall.  It was loud enough, but it was a really flat dead sound because of all the heavy curtains, soft furnishings, carpeted floor, etc.  I had one of those old Aspri Reverb gizmos in my case.  You placed it over the bridge and contacts touched the strings and created a mechanical spring reverb effect.  It saved the evening and gave the guitar a bit more lively ambience.  I don't know if you can still get those Aspri Reverb units now.  I would guess that the various devices along the lines of the Yamaha Trans-Acoustic's internal transducer has superseded such an old fashioned mechanical reverb.

I was going to find and post a photo of an Aspri Reverb after hunting for an ancient guitar magazine article or a used one for sale, but I'm really surprised to see that they still make and sell them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    The plain answer above re face the bay I found funny. Same as the room woods being certified tonewoods as extension to soundboard lol
    yeah but the latter "was" a joke........   the "bay window" thing came from reflection testing sound alone. at home  not to an audience,  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom