Ed Sheeran in court again for alleged plagiarism

What's Hot

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1429
    edited April 2023
    When I first heard Sheeran's song my immediate reaction was... that's a pretty audacious lift of the Gaye classic.

Same chord progression / same rhythm and the way he sings it. He and his co-writer (Amy Wadge) MUST have been aware of Let's Get It On.

Both are based (sort of ) on the same I IIIm IV V progression.
    In Sheeran's case it's D -> D/F# -> G -> A and the Gaye version is in the piano friendly key of Ebm -> Gm -> Ab -> Bb7.

He's got previous - the why oh why thing from Shape of You and perhaps most glaringly the note for note copy he settled out of court for the Tim McGraw / Faith Hill hit The Rest Of Our Life.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13039

Ed Sheeran is one of the very few artists whose work I find so deplorable that it makes me a little bit annoyed that it exists. I'm a bit embarrassed at just how much I hate it, to be honest. I'm a grown man ffs. 

This song (and others he has written) is a blatant rip-off of someone elses song. 

Even with those two in mind, I would be worried about the ramifications if this is found to be illegal rather than just shameless. That would not be a good thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • My question would be:

What could possibly by gained by bringing this case?

There is only one answer: money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 500
    I wonder if there is a song that it suitably similar but predates LGIO and what that would do to the prosecutions case.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    joeW said:
    I wonder if there is a song that it suitably similar but predates LGIO and what that would do to the prosecutions case.   
    Radiohead had to give a load of money to the Hollies for similarities to their song Creep. Then later Lana Del Ray had to give moneymto Radiohead because of similarities between Creep and a song of her own

https://youtu.be/oaXFc4Zb78s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    I did a mash up once of those 3 -only one person in the (admittedly very small) audience worked it out 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    If I had access to a time machine I'd go back and make sure that I invented 12-bar blues.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2453
    Even if it was a direct rip off, have you seen how much the songwriter’s family are suing for? 

$100m FFS. I know they won’t get a fraction of that, if anything at all, but who dreams these numbers up?

Marvin Gaye’s entire catalogue record sales probably haven’t even reached $100m, so in what world is one alleged borrow in one song worth damages that high?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    StefB said:
    Even if it was a direct rip off, have you seen how much the songwriter’s family are suing for? 

$100m FFS. I know they won’t get a fraction of that, if anything at all, but who dreams these numbers up?

Marvin Gaye’s entire catalogue record sales probably haven’t even reached $100m, so in what world is one alleged borrow in one song worth damages that high?
    The plaintiffs aren't Marvin Gaye's family but that of his co-writer, Ed Townsend. Gaye's entire catalogue sales aren't relevant.

As far as the case goes, it's pretty weak. If anything, the claim flatters the Ed Sheeran song. Let's Get it On is a stone cold classic – a great song (as is the album). The Sheeran number is pretty forgettable stuff.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2453
    StefB said:

The plaintiffs aren't Marvin Gaye's family but that of his co-writer, Ed Townsend. Gaye's entire catalogue sales aren't relevant.
    Yeah I realise that, which is why I referred to the songwriter. 

I was trying to get my head around how a US prosecutor calculates $100m damages are appropriate compensation for alleged plagiarism of one song. 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    Had a dig for this article I remembered reading:

https://completemusicupdate.com/article/judge-declines-to-dismiss-new-ed-sheeran-song-theft-litigation-that-relies-on-newly-registered-marvin-gaye-copyright/

Technicalities seem to matter more than the music in many cases.

Also, must be absolutely maddening to keep finding yourself back in court over the same thing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    I was going to try to compare the two songs, but after 10 seconds of Sheeran I couldn't stand it any more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Philly_Q said:
    I was going to try to compare the two songs, but after 10 seconds of Sheeran I couldn't stand it any more.
    I actually felt a bit sick

Jazz professor Ricky B is on the case now

• Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    It worries me that a chord progression could potentially be copyrighted. Maybe an 8th note root note bassline is next, or a rock shuffle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    This is why Jazz is the only true form of individual expression in music…….. it’s Just a shame most of it is horrible to listen to. 

When do we think Kellogg’s will file a case against Ed for copying the Honey Monsters look? 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19372
    I wonder if it's too late to sue Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood for ripping off the James Bond opening horn signature from Thunderball?

Go to 3m 44s  ;)

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 356
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    You can still steal stuff in music, we all do as soak up what we hear whether we like it or not. Once you realize though it's a good idea to change it a little bit... there's a lot he could have done that would kept it as a good song but avoided a lawsuit. 

Apparently he said in court he writes upto 9 songs a day ... I'm beginning to see why I can't stand his music.. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I actually felt a bit sick

Jazz professor Ricky B is on the case now

That seems to set it out pretty clearly. 

Danny1969 said:
    You can still steal stuff in music, we all do as soak up what we hear whether we like it or not. Once you realize though it's a good idea to change it a little bit... there's a lot he could have done that would kept it as a good song but avoided a lawsuit. 

Apparently he said in court he writes upto 9 songs a day ... I'm beginning to see why I can't stand his music.. 
    IIRC Ed said he videos his songwriting sessions with his partner in order to have evidence that they are original creations. May have been since the Marvin Gaye case first came up, I can’t quite remember. Although I never understood how it would show he hadn’t just listened to Gaye or The Beatles or whoever in the car just before walking into the studio. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    CaseOfAce said:
    When I first heard Sheeran's song my immediate reaction was... that's a pretty audacious lift of the Gaye classic.

Same chord progression / same rhythm and the way he sings it. He and his co-writer (Amy Wadge) MUST have been aware of Let's Get It On.

Both are based (sort of ) on the same I IIIm IV V progression.
    In Sheeran's case it's D -> D/F# -> G -> A and the Gaye version is in the piano friendly key of Ebm -> Gm -> Ab -> Bb7.

He's got previous - the why oh why thing from Shape of You and perhaps most glaringly the note for note copy he settled out of court for the Tim McGraw / Faith Hill hit The Rest Of Our Life.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Ed has got an explanation.

Towards the end of his evidence session, Sheeran was asked by his lawyer why an expert called by the plaintiffs had demonstrated how the chords in Thinking Out Loud are similar to Let's Get It On.

He replied: "He was saying that because it helps his argument."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/ed-sheeran-plays-guitar-in-court-as-he-tries-to-prove-he-didn-t-copy-marvin-gaye-track/ar-AA1asbti?ocid=BingHPC

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom