BT Engineer coming to fit a new line

What's Hot

For broadband (Not fibre)

Stupidly agreed to digging it underground on his last visit as he was a Kiwi so got chatting about NZ and Oz.  Before I knew it I'd agreed to putting it underground and he'd gone.

Anyway, the BT duct is all in with the drawcord, 2 feet down, right up to the splitter on the pole and the wall I've put another drawcord up into the loft.

Distance is about 35 metres to the master socket.  If it is in the wall where I want it, otherwise about 30 meters.

If the master is in the wall, it runs parallel with a load of ring main and lighting cables.

Should I ask him to put the master in the loft and run a cat 7 cable from there to the wall instead?

Is BT cable well shielded? Or should I buy some cable myself?  Is 35 metres considered a long cable run?

I've left enough drawcord to leave it in there should I need another cable in the future.  But the BT man installation is a one hit, so want it to be as good as it can be.

Internet speed isn't going to be great, as we have copper phone lines, think BT use shielded Cat 5 cable.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm just stunned you got the engineer to turn up within 6 months! O_o
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Yeah, only one missed appointment and call to India so far too.  Apparently they are doing a 2500 strong recruitment drive in the South East.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1144
    Sambostar said:
    Yeah, only one missed appointment and call to India so far too.  Apparently they are doing a 2500 strong recruitment drive in the South East.
    wow seems a bit overkill just for 30m! :o

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, but the cable is hand crafted from tallow and copper ore.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Sambostar said:
    That'll be in Tamilnadu, then.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    edited October 2014
    Sambostar said:

Lots of stuff that left me confused.

I couldn't quite work out what is going on from your post, but...  if you're talking about a BT phone line, it's unshielded.  Also, why do you feel you need Cat 7 cabling anywhere. ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1052
    If only they were Engineers...

That is the point, the phone engineer is going to know more than me and I know he is the guy to ask, but as he will only have a roll of BT cable in his van and that is it and limited time, when I ask, it will be too late for alternatives.  If it is unshielded, then surely, as it is run off the main power pole, which has two unsheathed lives and a neutral and then is chased in my wall with a load of 240V mains cables and lighting cable, it will get interference, no?

Just trying to maximise my internet speed, although in fairness it is probably one of those 'My hi fi sounds better because the speaker feet spikes are made of gold' type things, seeing as the exchange is miles away and the cabling copper and probably shared anyway.

As for Cat 7...well it's the highest number, so I figured it would be like turning the internet speed  to eleven.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2112
    Forget Cat 7.. cat 5 max is plenty good enough.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited October 2014

I can just imagine it now, The subcontracted BT engineer will be like

'BT will only allow us to use garden twine and polystyrene cups for your new line, if only you had a length of decently shielded Cat 7e cable to hand, I could have fitted that, you would have had a half decent internet service with that, oh well, polystyrene cups and garden twine it is then'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    OK, but will 35 metres of unshielded BT cable be OK?  Or is it shielded?  I thought they uses 4 core Cat 5, which I understand is shielded?
    The thing is, if and when you do finally manage to get a BT engineer on site, they're normally pretty good guys, who know their stuff.

Yeah, I know.  I'm just a bit excited and trying to work myself into a panic about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Sambostar said:
    Yeah, but the cable is hand crafted from tallow and copper ore.
    That's what I keep telling myself to convince myself that the price I paid to have a line installed here was reasonable.  :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Sambostar said:

I can just imagine it now, The subcontracted BT engineer will be like

'BT will only allow us to use garden twine and polystyrene cups for your new line, if only you had a length of decently shielded Cat 7e cable to hand, I could have fitted that, you would have had a half decent internet service with that, oh well, polystyrene cups and garden twine it is then'.

By the time the engineer actually turns up and all the "external work" is done the rest of the country will probably be getting internet beamed directly into their brain.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited October 2014

Well no one came on the 3rd, my mistake apparently for m=not informing India I had done the required underground ducting. 

Looks like no one is going to arrive today either.

So far my £159 odd advance line rental and £7.50 a month unlimited internet has costs me an additional two days wages.  Do BT do refunds?

Yes, if you have a good case, and get the right person in the quagmire that is BT.

I've just got a 3-month line rental rebate, after the morons pulled the plug on the Company's main phone line and never managed to get it back working for 12 days. They told me they'd reconnected it after a week, but when it still didn't work they said the line was faulty. Turned out they'd reconnected the lines alright, but onto the wrong points at the exchange.

Twats, I hate them and the fact they have the monopoly on the lines.

Good luck with the refund!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Sambostar said:
    Ha ha, that's brilliant, seeing as how they've spent the last 5 years downsizing the workforce with voluntary redundancy deals. (I was one of the lucky ones who got one >:D< )
    edited October 2014

OK. On behalf of all the hard working BT engineers and subcontractors, the older engineers who are forced out to take early pay offs and the Indian guy who I could actually understand I apologize profusely.  Got about £450+ worth of engineering done for my money.

Appointment was apparently booked for after 1pm,  Engineer arrived 1pm spot on, just as the guy told me at 1pm.

Course, everything here was laid out, BT Duct with draw cord, draw cord to the loft and wire and backbox in the partition wall easy.  Except the poor engineer had to find a clear line from 2 miles away, as the splitter was crap. Had to chase the line back, call in a cherry picker, go three poles down for a connection, hoist up three poles worth of cabling, around 90 metres of cable, connect that up to a junction, before getting to the easy domestic bit, which was all he was booked in for really officially.  Poor lad got away at 6:30pm and missed his squash game.

So now have 53mbps it says.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and the four core cable is pretty chunky too.  Satisfied customer.