BT Engineer coming to fit a new line

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Brilliant! Now you'll be able to post shite on here even faster!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow you;re incredibly lucky. It took BT 3 months in my new build (3 houses) with all ducting done by the developers. 

A colleague in a larger development (100+ houses) is still waiting after 4 months and not a single house in the development has been connected.

So the question is..who did you bribe/sleep with to pull off such a quick turn around?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I think they have an aversion to developers and own home builders.  Really because there is no guarantee they will shop with BT and also I think the main reason is that a lot of resources are needed not to mention the engineers who have had bad experiences with developers. Also it depends on where you are, if they have to put in a work order to fix or update something 1 mile away or more first, so you can get a line, you are looking at anything up to 6 months plus.  But yeah, damn lucky eh.

Only thing is....if it's 58mbps, which is what it says on resources....why is everything taking an age to load with sundials counting everywhere...?  Maybe it means 58mbps wireless communication with the router.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I got that wrong.  It's 0.23 Mbps and total shite.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    I thought the first number sounded odd. You wouldn't get that over a copper pair over a run like you've described. I take it you're quite a distance from your exchange?
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    boogieman;373477" said:
    Sambostar said:

Yeah, only one missed appointment and call to India so far too.  Apparently they are doing a 2500 strong recruitment drive in the South East.

Ha ha, that's brilliant, seeing as how they've spent the last 5 years downsizing the workforce with voluntary redundancy deals. (I was one of the lucky ones who got one >:D< )

You escaped too? I bailed out on a compromise agreememt two years ago to go full time muso/sound tech. Glad to be out of there - learnt a lot, met some great people but the place was changing for the worse.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2014
    Sambostar said:

on his last visit he was a Kiwi

I'm always suspicious of people who adopt different nationalities each time they visit my home - keep an eye on him.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    mike257 said:
    I thought the first number sounded odd. You wouldn't get that over a copper pair over a run like you've described. I take it you're quite a distance from your exchange?

1.6 miles or so and that not fibre.  Proved the line the whole way from the exchange, poor lad.  Only booked for a quick hookup.

Gets up to 4.4 Mbps at it's best.  Just waiting for the neighbour to get back from holiday, see if he still has a phone.

Apparently in late 2015 they are installing a coverter thingy, so at least it will be fibre up to the exchange.

I talked to the guy about redundancy deals, just about everyone and his dog is forced out or put on shit wiring jobs until they quit.  Lad said it was a young man's job anyway....wonder if he feels that way when he hits 60, has to work another 80 years for his pension and gets allocated line turd cleaning duties or something.  Got the impression that it is a bit Royal Mail.  No wonder the few older workers still there are cantankerous bastards.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    mike257;377671" said:
    [quote="boogieman;373477"]Sambostar said:

Yeah, only one missed appointment and call to India so far too.  Apparently they are doing a 2500 strong recruitment drive in the South East.

Ha ha, that's brilliant, seeing as how they've spent the last 5 years downsizing the workforce with voluntary redundancy deals. (I was one of the lucky ones who got one >:D< )

You escaped too? I bailed out on a compromise agreememt two years ago to go full time muso/sound tech. Glad to be out of there - learnt a lot, met some great people but the place was changing for the worse.[/quote]

Definitely not a place I'd want to be anymore either. Talking to mates who are still there things are getting worse by the day; they've been made to go on compulsory call out in the last month. If you complain or refuse to sign up you get shoved into a redeployee group with very limited options for the future. New recruits have got it even worse from what I hear. A lot less pay, 30% less annual leave and much worse pension arrangements. Glad I'm out!