‘50% of vinyl buyers in the US don’t own a record player, data shows’

What's Hot
barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
edited April 2023 in Music
I know some people buy records ‘just to have them’, but this is so silly (albeit good for artists). 

Not the biggest sample size, I should note, but amusing even if it’s half that number! 

Article is here if you’re interested: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/50-of-vinyl-buyers-dont-own-a-record-player-data-shows/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    I must admit I have approximately 1,000 albums on vinyl but I don't have a working record player.  I did have one when I bought them though.  Well, most of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve loads of vinyl but nothing to play them on. I’d say that figure is higher than 50%
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    But are you guys still buying records with no means of playing them? Old collections is a different thing; these sales seem to be to people who enjoy records as (expensive) merch only.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12360
    I buy vinyl and own a record player and quite often listen to vinyl as well.

The vinyl as expensive merch idea is great for bands though.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4304
    I buy vinyl still & own a player & a tape player . I bought a 12” video CD (like a laser disc ) today but don’t have a player also have reel to reel tapes & 8 track carts although I did have an 8 track & mini disc I don’t at the moment . If it’s by a band I dig I’ll buy anything rare  ,still have collectible VHS of stones ,Aerosmith & G n R but no vcr at present although I have always had them for years 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    barnstorm said:
    But are you guys still buying records with no means of playing them? Old collections is a different thing; these sales seem to be to people who enjoy records as (expensive) merch only.
    I've bought maybe 10 vinyl records in the last 30 years - a few things which weren't available on CD but I wanted them for collection purposes, a few picture discs.  And one accidental purchase where I'd meant to order the CD!

There seems to be a thing for releasing albums on different coloured vinyl, I guess there must be people who collect all of those, but I haven't got into it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Records are nice objects and people want them
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have 2000 or so albums, all from the old days. I have had no room to set up a record player for over 2 decades, although I 'think' I still have one somewhere.

I keep seeing new vinyl albums that I would love to buy, but I resist as there's no point, plus they are bloody expensive.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Given how these sorts of surveys are usually written it probably also covers people who have bought vinyl as a gift, which will be a big chunk of the vinyl-buying public
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    I have three very decent record players.  
    I listen to vinyl a lot. 

If any of you lot who don’t have record players want to sell your collections, I’m buying!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5026
    Buying albums, vinyl or CD, and not having any way of listening to them is akin to buying a guitar without any strings fitted. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    There’s plenty of people on here who have loads of guitars who never seem to play them.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There’s plenty of people on here who have loads of guitars who never seem to play them.
    Guilty as charged!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Given how these sorts of surveys are usually written it probably also covers people who have bought vinyl as a gift, which will be a big chunk of the vinyl-buying public
    That's a good point. Records are an easy gift
    Rocker said:
    Buying albums, vinyl or CD, and not having any way of listening to them is akin to buying a guitar without any strings fitted. 
    Yeah, but strings are easy to fit.  At a time that suits.

I've got a growing collection of films on 4K Ultra HD, but I haven't got a 4K TV or disc player.  However, I will need to buy a new TV at some point, and it will be 4K.  Unless we're up to 8K by then, which will complicate things...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    Vinyl, schminyl.

They are records, albums or LPs, and I play them on a turntable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 674
    If you buy the LP, you also have access to the content online, and you have an album cover you can enjoy while you listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Wax cylinders for me. I've got no time for this new fangled 'vinyl'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    Litterick said:
    If you buy the LP, you also have access to the content online, and you have an album cover you can enjoy while you listen.
    I would say this is true if you buy the much cheaper CD, too, but I wonder how many people have a CD player these days!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5026
    @Philly_Q  my point is that without strings, a guitar cannot be played. TV technology is developing and evolving, so you are wise to hold back until a standard becomes the norm, but LPs have been available for a long number of years and players for them are plentiful and easily obtained. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum