New Neck?

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
I have a Vintera P, but I'm wondering if I'd get on better with a slimmer neck, so thinking about putting a jazz neck on it. The one on my Vintera Jazz is pretty much perfect. 

Can I "just" buy another neck and swap them over? M a total ignoramus on that front. Are P and J neck pockets the same size? 

Assuming the answer is yes - anyone got one going spare? Ideally off a "proper" fender with maple fretboard...as above - needs to fit on a Vintera Precision with no woodwork etc required. 

@GSPBASSES perhaps? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    It’s my understanding that yes, they’re interchangeable. I sold my AVRI P bass for the same reason, I just couldn’t get used to the 44 mm nut width. All three of my current P basses have 41-42mm width necks now. I have a mate who has two P basses with Jazz necks too.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14462
    By slimmer, do you mean shallower or narrower? Fifties P necks are wide and deep. Mid-Sixties P necks are wide and shallower than you might imagine. 

There are some perverse bassists who actually prefer a P neck on a J body. Perhaps, you can find one with whom to swap?

If you are trying to maintain the Vintera pretence, the only Jazz Bass necks with maple fingerboards will be Seventies style examples.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    Narrower.

I actually quite like a chunky neck, but the 44mm width on the vintera P feels huge.

I could live with it, but where's the fun in that? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    A friend recently bought a replacement Mexican Fender Tele neck from Thomann - it was quite cheap, although the nut was fitted so badly I had to replace it before it was usable... clearly a reject from the production line that they sold off as a spare part. Now it’s sorted it’s perfect though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27106
    44mm is daft. My P is 43-ish and that's enough of a handful. The non-vintage-style Fenders are all about 41 these days aren't they? No harm in picking one of those up
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    edited May 2023
    Fender actually sell a maple vintera jazz neck as a replacement part, so in one sense I'm tempted just to buy one.

But I'm also assuming I'd need to pay someone (you busy these days @ICBM ? :-D) to do the nut for me and the price is very quickly rocketing up...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Fender actually sell a maple vintera jazz neck as a replacement part, so in one sense I'm tempted just to buy one.

But I'm also assuming I'd need to pay someone (you busy these days @ICBM ? :-D) to do the nut for me and the price is very quickly rocketing up...
    To be accurate, it was worse even than I described above - the *original* nut had clearly been ripped out with a pair of pliers or something, taking a bit of the finish (where it had flowed slightly up the side of the nut) and a tiny bit of the wood with it, then a ill-fitting cheap crap nut which didn't even look like the correct Fender part had been bunged in. Quite unbelievable, in fact... I was able to fix it with a new nut and some superglue to build the finish back up, but really not acceptable for a 'new' part from Fender. I think he did get some money back from Thomann.

This is as it came from Fender via Thomann in an unopened box -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom