Tonemaster hankering (now successfully hankered)

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• birtnerbirtner Frets: 68
    Was on mine earlier. Such good fun these amps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 843
    TimmyO said:
    There’s a blonde DR not too far away from you in Chippenham on FB 
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/114610674958750/
    Not any more there isn't...

Brilliant…nicely done sir!
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    edited June 2023
    How are you finding it @TimmyO ?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7798
    thefez said:
    First impressions are very pleasing indeed.

I've only had chance to play with it twice, and then at most on the 5w setting but it is lovely. 

I want to plug my LP in and turn it up sans pedals and see if it does that 'perfect Les Paul blues sound' thing that DRs do - will report back when I have. 

I'd been playing through a closed-back, ported 1x12 for a good while prior to this and I'm enjoying the open-backed room-filling sound. But most folk already have that. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3343
    TimmyO said:
    thefez said:
    First impressions are very pleasing indeed.

I've only had chance to play with it twice, and then at most on the 5w setting but it is lovely. 

I want to plug my LP in and turn it up sans pedals and see if it does that 'perfect Les Paul blues sound' thing that DRs do - will report back when I have. 

I'd been playing through a closed-back, ported 1x12 for a good while prior to this and I'm enjoying the open-backed room-filling sound. But most folk already have that. 
    A hefty dose of reverb and a LP on full wattage and you are in Albatross territory (probably not what was used and will upset the purists), it sounds great! 
    Just had a bloody ace noodle - it's really good. 

It's a fantastic blues amp - which is my comfort zone tbh - the sheer pleasure of playing around with it on any volume setting 5-8 then finding various amounts of clean-notclean-lightblues with the volume knob, and then a fab sustaining sound with any of  Lightspeed/Klone/Tiimmy is just fab. 

That was on the 1w setting and still grin-inducing sat close in the room and loud enough that you can play with dynamics (it goes down another 2 settings should family-placating be the priority of the moment) 

Super pleased with it. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Seriously - I can't stop grinning about this - it's like having a DR and an attenuator. But they weigh half what they should. And it doesn't tick or make odd scary expensive 'needs servicing' noises. And you don't need spare valves and fuses. 

Honeymoon period: activate. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2403
    Tim brought this amp around today and I plugged into it on some of the unfeasibly low wattage settings - and it made me smile! More importantly, it made want to keep on playing, because playing through it is a rewarding experience, in that you play a note and it gives you back a luscious-sounding note. And the spring reverb sounds good.

I'm a long-time valve-loving guitarist, and although I won't be off to buy one of these, I certainly would not be disappointed to find one as the provided backline.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    edited June 2023
    One of us!! One of us!! 

I’m glad it’s working out :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3343
    Keefy said:
    Tim brought this amp around today and I plugged into it on some of the unfeasibly low wattage settings - and it made me smile! More importantly, it made want to keep on playing, because playing through it is a rewarding experience, in that you play a note and it gives you back a luscious-sounding note. And the spring reverb sounds good.

I'm a long-time valve-loving guitarist, and although I won't be off to buy one of these, I certainly would not be disappointed to find one as the provided backline.

Recorded with mine for some demos with the band a week or two back, when I was listening back you couldn’t tell the difference in the mix. I’d still like to try it alongside a tremlord, but it’s a great bit of kit all the same.
    Aye I'm enjoying it. 

I've realised that once it's at volume 6 or above any low or medium gain drive pedals are giving you as much the sound of the driving amp as anything else - pulling the amp volume back to 4 brings the distinctiveness of different pedal settings. So if you're going for a blues-band thing where you just need levels of grit and volume, amp on 6-8 and one drive pedal gives you everything you need. And if you want to be able to get different shades of drive from different pedals, you need to pull it back more to 4-5. 

I've no idea if that's what a real DR is like, but I like that there's a couple ways to do it. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 843
    I probably should have got the DR rather than the Twin, but I got excited by my first 2x12 amp! Maybe I’ll swap it one day…
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    TimmyO said:
    Aye I'm enjoying it. 

I've realised that once it's at volume 6 or above any low or medium gain drive pedals are giving you as much the sound of the driving amp as anything else - pulling the amp volume back to 4 brings the distinctiveness of different pedal settings. So if you're going for a blues-band thing where you just need levels of grit and volume, amp on 6-8 and one drive pedal gives you everything you need. And if you want to be able to get different shades of drive from different pedals, you need to pull it back more to 4-5. 

I've no idea if that's what a real DR is like, but I like that there's a couple ways to do it. 
    I’ve found the same with my TM Princeton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So my TMDR stopped making any sound after about 3 mins of being switched on. I emailed Fender Europe and got a somewhat unhelpful response - to go on ebay and buy the power module and get it replaced.

I'd posted this online and thankfully someone from Fender USA saw it and got in touch. Said that was absolutely not what should have happened and put me in touch with Fender UK/Europe again. I have brand spanking new DR and and they've arranged for UPS to pick up the old one, all free of charge.

Cheers Fender, my opinion of you has gone up. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    Enjoy your new amp @TimmyO ;

@thefez Very poor from Fender originally though. The help you eventually got, you should have received from your first contact with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I was really surprised the initial guy wasn't helpful at all. Worked out in the end though