Player, collector, musician etc

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Making the transition from collector to player. That'll involve getting rid of some stuff though (shudder), but I definitely spend more time these days playing than buying, or thinking about buying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a player with an interest in gear...
  • I self identify most with song writer but to most people that conjures up images of twee strummy acoustic guitar twaddle and I'm definitely not that.

Maybe I'm some sort of manufacturer because I refine metal?????
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I guess I'd describe myself as a player with a side order of tinkerer. Still lots of room to improve. Not enough room for guitars to be a collector (a true collector would make room...). I think the problem with the initial list (I may be responsible for one of hootsmon's LOLs), is if you're asking how people describe themselves then the meanings of words are important, even if you say 'these are the definitions we're using', because they carry a bag of associations with them.

Guitarist for instance doesn't solely mean 'single instrumentalist', someone can be the guitarist in a band, but be able to do other things too. In some contexts it's a role. Musician is someone who's making music, but it's also a profession. And the reasons people chose to describe themselves as things are probably more interesting.
    So, I'm a musician while I'm playing guitar, and I usually stop being one when I'm not, but other people carry on being musicians all the time.
    Note to self: join band.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I wouldn't describe myself as anything/
    My V key is broken
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Just an average chap, who buys and plays guitars instead of going down the pub and spending my money on beer :-)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    holnrew said:
    I wouldn't describe myself as anything/
    Well, you look like a small rabbit, so that's a start.