Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 93
    I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

(note: I’m playing bass anyway, so it’s a spare for whoever’s on 6-string)
    several of us bring along our own amps so your Rivera will not be out of place and will give us one more amp to choose from  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    The more the merrier, I love gear lol

I will bring my partscaster. It's in D standard but keen for other people to have a go. Will be curious to know how you all find it
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1786
    edited October 2023
    I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

(note: I’m playing bass anyway, so it’s a spare for whoever’s on 6-string)
    That sounds awesome! I was planning to bring my little Bogner Atma which is good fun. 

(I need to get practicing!)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
  • @stratman3142 - well I've just plugged it in at home for the first time and I'm grinning! :mrgreen: 

The cleans are very clean (I expect there'll be a bit of breakup at non-neighbour-friendly volumes), and the drive channel has a great middy-grunt to it that works for the type of stuff I usually play. Cool, I'll bring it along and then it's there if anyone fancies a try
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    Im planning to setup a room mic to see if I can get a good room recording (as I'll have kick and snare mic and vocal mics already running through the digital mixer) - will see if i can get a good recording mix afterwards.  
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 944
    Sorry but I still haven't got my bass guitar sorted. 

Please can I borrow a bass for my 2 songs? 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • ^ You're welcome to use my Warwick @Neilybob, it's a Corvette $$ with active EQ and lots of tonal options :)
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 944
    ^ You're welcome to use my Warwick @Neilybob, it's a Corvette $$ with active EQ and lots of tonal options :)
    Amazing! Thank you. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    Mine too @Neilybob :-)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2247
    edited October 2023
    Here's the final song list, unless anyone spots any errors.

Things to watch out for

'Talk Dirty To Me' is in F# a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Vibetronic ;;;

'Lil' Devil' is in C#, a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Brocco ;;;

If the above two cause any problems, there's the option of tuning down a semitone. I'll bring a couple of spare guitars that can be tuned down if required. I'll also bring a bass that could be tuned down.

I believe @roberty is OK with 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is in A, which makes life easier and avoids tuning down a semitone.
     @Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it.

https://i.imgur.com/ceO6ToG.png

It's not a competition.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 93
    Here's the final song list, unless anyone spots any errors.

Things to watch out for

'Talk Dirty To Me' is in F# a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Vibetronic ;;;

'Lil' Devil' is in C#, a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Brocco ;;;

If the above two cause any problems, there's the option of tuning down a semitone. I'll bring a couple of spare guitars that can be tuned down if required. I'll also bring a bass that could be tuned down.

I believe @roberty is OK with 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is in A, which makes life easier and avoids tuning down a semitone.
     @Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it.

https://i.imgur.com/ceO6ToG.png

@stratman3142 it would be interesting to see your chart, especially for the outro. @Neilybob, so far I have been focused on learning the lower harmony as it seems to be the easier of the two  ;)
  • Brocco said:

@Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it...

@stratman3142 it would be interesting to see your chart, especially for the outro. @Neilybob, so far I have been focused on learning the lower harmony as it seems to be the easier of the two  ;)
    To be honest, I've just notated the start of the outro harmony, then written 'keep going up', as I couldn't be bothered to notate the whole section :)

There are some tutorials on YouTube.

But I'll email you what I've got, as I think I've still got your email from previously.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop :mrgreen: 

oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop :mrgreen: 

The challenge is to stay awake. The bass part to Comfortably Numb is a particular challenge in this regard
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lol, too true indeed - there was a good reason for me to skip that one! :sleeping: 

I'm assuming you'll cover the lead parts throughout CS? I'll bring my HBII, that way I can give you two rythm tones for support at once if I run the piezo direct into FoH (and probably back the tone off a bit), with the mags going into something crunchy as & when needed
    lol, too true indeed - there was a good reason for me to skip that one! :sleeping: 

I'm assuming you'll cover the lead parts throughout CS? I'll bring my HBII, that way I can give you two rythm tones for support at once if I run the piezo direct into FoH (and probably back the tone off a bit), with the mags going into something crunchy as & when needed
    I'm doing bass on CS
  • oops, meant to tag that at @Neilybob ;
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2247
    edited October 2023
    roberty said:
    oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop mrgreen 

The challenge is to stay awake. The bass part to Comfortably Numb is a particular challenge in this regard
    I don't mind dropping Comfortably Numb, if there's no enthusiasm for it. I've played it so many times.

It's not a competition.
    roberty said:
    oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop mrgreen 

I don't mind dropping Comfortably Numb, if there's no enthusiasm for it. I've played it so many times.

Let's see how we go. I was amused to learn this week that Gilmour played the bass parts on the Animals studio recordings
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Let's see how we go. I was amused to learn this week that Gilmour played the bass parts on the Animals studio recordings
    I'd be happy to take the bass part on Comfy if somebody else wants to strum some chords. I'll be bringing a fretless for the Bad Company stuff, and thought that might work well on Comfy and make it more fun to play.