iOS 8.0.2 WTF!

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Frustrating doesn't even come close, after clearing away many vids and photos( that I've saved to my PC anyway) to create 4.7GB of space I start to download this piece of shit, it fails, so I try again and the twat fails again due to "Battery Power is Below 50%" Aaaaaaargh.

Then the 4.8GB I had freed up had suddenly, mysteriously become only 3.7GB, so I have to delete more stuff. Finally I have 4.8GB AGAIN and I start the update.

After 20mins of the cog wheel turning, I see "8 Hours Remaining", WTF! The first time I tried it downloaded in 30mins and failed on the installation, so why is it saying 8 Hours to download?

Edit: I am downloading via Wifi as well.

I don't think there is even an option for cancelling the download.

My phone is working fine in all other respects by the way.

Can anyone tell me what in the name of Bonaparte's Balls is going on?

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Download it to iTunes then update it from there. No need to delete stuff to save space and your battery can be under 50%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Might be the itunes servers are just busy and it's worth trying again later.   I did it yesterday and it was pretty quick.  But I agree with Not the DJ that using a pc so it can d/l in the background is probably less hassle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Download it to iTunes then update it from there. No need to delete stuff to save space and your battery can be under 50%.
    Cheers @not_the_dj

I've not done it that way before. I didn't mind deleting the stuff but I'm confused as to where my "missing space" went after the first attempt.

Do you know how I can stop the current download? Will it balls things up?

Oddly enough when I connected the iphone to my laptop yesterday, itunes failed to do the "synching" part, never done that before.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hmm, not sure how to cancel an update that's in progress.

You could try (adopts Irish accent) turning it off and on again ;-) but I'd be concerned in case it mucks it up somehow. 

Can I assume that  you didn't back up your phone before running the update?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7439
    My iPad retina got loads slower, lost features and didn't seem to gain anything after installing this pile of crap.
  • OK thanks guys, I could just wait for the battery to run down, I'm a bit wary of turning it off and on. It's either that or just plug in the charger and leave it overnight.

I'm not sure if the fact I had the Autolock on "1Minute" whether that failed the update the first time as it interrupted it. I've got it set to permanently "on" at the mo to stop any interruption, the bloody thing will probably melt by morning.
  • DefaultM said:
    My iPad retina got loads slower, lost features and didn't seem to gain anything after installing this pile of crap.
    Sounds rubbish, mate. I usually only download them because they are there, more than actually "wanting" them. I think I assume it might cause problems later on with other downloads etc.

Fingers crossed it will be OK, I don't think I utilise my iphone as much as some others might.

:-S
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited October 2014
    oops
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    Do you know how I can stop the current download? Will it balls things up?

I believe you can put the iPhone into 'Device Firmware Upgrade' Mode and then to a full restore of the device and then restore your last backup which I assume you did immediately before trying install iOS8.2 - slap across the face with a haddock if you didn't do a backup 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    I gave up with my Ipad when I couldn't find how to " transfer purchased items to Itunes before proceeding".

I cant tell how much I hate Itunes....its been the source of many broken items within 1m radius of our PC..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    I gave up with my Ipad when I couldn't find how to " transfer purchased items to Itunes before proceeding".

On Mac its: File > Devices > Transfer Purchases
    I do it every time if I buy a tune on my iPhone.

The PC needs to be 'Authorised' in iTunes first.
  • I'm still on 7 on my Mini Retina.  I don't see any reason to upgrade right now, plus I've not heard of many people having a positive experience so far but that might just be the nature of the internet and how negative experiences tend to get a lot of exposure at times like these.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10616
    edited October 2014

For those who hate iTunes (me included) just use Copy Transmanager

It enables you to connect anyone's phone or ipod and move songs about as you choose without or the sync issues.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Do you know how I can stop the current download? Will it balls things up?

I believe you can put the iPhone into 'Device Firmware Upgrade' Mode and then to a full restore of the device and then restore your last backup which I assume you did immediately before trying install iOS8.2 - slap across the face with a haddock if you didn't do a backup 

Cheers @KarlosSantos

and everyone else, I ended up just making sure the update failed by allowing the iphone to switch off, I'll try again later, no harm done by the way.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    IOS8 has turned my iPad 2 into a ZX Spectrum, but less fun. The 8.0.2 update hasn't improved things

I hate upgrades. No idea why I haven't learned my lesson and just stick with what works.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    I am still on iOS 6 on my iPhone. I didn't upgrade to 7 for exactly those reasons, and now I can't, so that's that! I will not be 'upgrading' to 8, for sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10616
    Me neither, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it. To be honest other than a new camera ap I'm not sure what 8 offers anyway

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBM said:
    I am still on iOS 6 on my iPhone. I didn't upgrade to 7 for exactly those reasons, and now I can't, so that's that! I will not be 'upgrading' to 8, for sure.
    I might not bother if it messes me around any more.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    "It just works".

:))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    scrumhalf said:
    "It just works".

:))
    It certainly does… at the moment. Which is why I'm so keen not to disturb it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein