The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7006
    I use to watch loads of F1 - But have not seen many races at all in the last 5/6 years as you almost know who will win before the race starts - Just far to predictable and very little competition for Lewis - I might watch a BBC web site race hi-lights with the whole race in 5-10 mins

However , just feels, at the moment as though it might be different this year and more competition/excitement etc  - So am going to watch this weekend, live, and find out if I can get my taste buds working again 
    After decades of faithfully watching every Grand Prix from start to finish on BBC, ITV and Sky I downgraded myself to C4 highlights last year.  Didn’t regret it for a minute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Lots of cars there within a relatively short gap of each other.  Id say it's much closer than in previous years.  Either Mercedes are carrying lead weights or they are going to have problems this year.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    Interesting to hear Norris describing a lack of confidence in the car in certain areas - suggests there's even more time there. Safe to assume Merc have little more in the tanks but could we actually see a 3-way fight, at least in some races? When was the last time that happened - 2012? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Great quali. Looks like it should be tight between Merc and RB, Ferrari are back, and Gasly & Tsunoda are looking like a great pairing in an improved car. 

And Alonso is already making Ocon look silly...
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I like Ocon, he's a bit soft though.
    Really good to see the Alpha Tauri pair right amongst it, I'm no expert but Tsunoda seems to have a bit of grit about him which will be exciting if the car continues to keep him competitive.
    I'm only just getting back into F1 but this season is shaping up nicely.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    That was as close as it gets right to the last lap.  Its shaping up to be a good season.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Vettel looks fucked already, I thought he might be much closer to Stroll’s time. I don’t like him but it’s a shame to see how his confidence is shot. 
    boogieman said:
    Vettel looks fucked already, I thought he might be much closer to Stroll’s time. I don’t like him but it’s a shame to see how his confidence is shot. 
    Very disappointing.  I believe he had his last flying lap wrecked by Mazespin, but frankly he shouldn’t have been in drop zone territory anyway.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4814
    Just watched it, let's hope Red Bull don't get scuppered by reliability. That's been their Achilles heel at times, can't see Honda making improvements and updates through the season. Max destroyed Sergio, you can tell the great drivers by the gaps to their team mates. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Boromedic said:
    Just watched it, let's hope Red Bull don't get scuppered by reliability. That's been their Achilles heel at times, can't see Honda making improvements and updates through the season. Max destroyed Sergio, you can tell the great drivers by the gaps to their team mates. 
    Sergio was on the Medium tyre, Max on the soft so I wouldn’t write him off for a podium 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4814
    edited March 2021
    Good spot, in my tired state I never noticed that! Weird of Red Bull to leave him hanging out there, but I guess they were looking at alternate strategies. Max will of course be their priority as he's their best chance of a title. 

Interesting that on the Medium, low fuel, Mercedes is 3-4 tenths faster than the Red Bull a lap. Let's see what happens tomorrow, tyre wear and reliability wise it should be interesting. Max will make a gap on the softs and then he should take the win one would think. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Yeah, Checo did fine, just got caught out on strategy as the track was evolving rapidly at the end of Q2. 

Vettel was caught by both Mazepin and Sainz's yellow flags so not as bad as it looked, though obviously not ideal. Again with conditions getting much quicker as the session went on his previous lap was never going to be enough. 

Mazepin actually overtook everyone he fucked over just before the start of the lap, so they're even more pissed off. Making as good an impression as expected... 

And Ocon apparently not affected by Mazepin but slowed for Sainz so I guess the jury's out until later today. 

Overall it's almost a shame we get a new formula next year - *just* as things are really bunching up to the point we can't guess what will happen in the race.
    sweepy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Sergio was on the Medium tyre, Max on the soft so I wouldn’t write him off for a podium 
    Nope, Verstappen was also on the medium tyres and 0.3s faster than Perez.  Sergio was simply slower on the same tyre.

It’s a respectably close margin, but unfortunately in this case the team gambled unsuccessfully that both cars would be quick enough to make it through to Q3 without resorting to the soft tyre.  

Meanwhile, the unloved Gasly did what Perez couldn’t and wrestled his car through to P5 on the medium tyres.

Perez has a lot of legitimately fast cars ahead of him on the grid with four of those on mediums.  He’ll have his work cut out to bag a podium today.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Not a good start for Vettel. I maintain he should have retired gracefully. Stroll is gonna piss on him.

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    It will take Checo a bit of time to fully get up to speed with Redbull. Although I doubt he’d get the upper hand on Verstappen very often. Verstappen is exceptional. Checo is a very very good number 2. Redbull are looking very impressive to me. Car looks like it’s on rails in Verstappen’s hands.
    Anyone watched Drive To Survive?

Stroll Sr does not look like a pleasant boss.  The sort of person who’s never happier than when he sees a group of employees soiling themselves in terror as he walks into the room.
    Very impressed with Redbulls new rear suspension too, from an aerodynamic perspective. Very neat and tidy. Not sure how robust it will be over the season though. Could break easily with a good knock. Or a heavy curb. If they’ve worked out a way to keep it stong and stable though. It’s a really good innovation.
    markr76 said:
    Very impressed with Redbulls new rear suspension too, from an aerodynamic perspective. Very neat and tidy. Not sure how robust it will be over the season though. Could break easily with a good knock. Or a heavy curb. If they’ve worked out a way to keep it stong and stable though. It’s a really good innovation.
    That sounds suspiciously like “Nice rear suspension, be a shame if anything happened to it...”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    markr76 said:
    That sounds suspiciously like “Nice rear suspension, be a shame if anything happened to it...”
    Not at all. I’m always impressed with clever innovation. Even from our competition. Just pointing out that from a structural point of view it’s not as strong/robust. Fantastic from an aero point of view. Good on them if they’ve managed to get it working properly. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stolen from the F1technical forum...

GoranF1 wrote: 

Vettel :i need time to adopt to the car
    Perez : i need time to adopt to the car
    Tsunoda: i need time to adopt to the car
    Alonso......

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom