Fender Preamp in a Box - Black 65?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17906
in FX tFB Trader
My band uses in ears. 

Live rig is pedalboard -> amp -> redbox -> desk which comes back into my phones 

For rehearsal I'm using Pedalboard -> Joyo American Sound -> desk to avoid bringing my amp. 

Last week I did bring my amp to try out some stuff and it was apparent how much bigger and smoother that setup sounded (though the Joyo does a great job considering the price)

To that end I fed the Joyo into the redbox which improved things a bit, but you can't turn the speaker simulation of the Joyo off. The Joyo also has to run at drive and character zero so as not to clip which restricts the output quite a bit.

So now I'm thinking what pedals could I get which provide a clean Fender preamp emulation. I could just get the proper Tech21 version of the Joyo which has switchable speaker emulation, but that seems a lot to spend.

I've tried an AMT before and that's not quite what I'm looking for and I'm also not really interested in anything digital like the Boss Fender pedals as I've tried the G3, POD and Mustang and they all sound shit with drive in front of them. 

At the moment the only thing that springs to mind is the Wampler Black 65.

Anyone tried one, or know of anything else that'll do the job?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Use your amp. Ditch the in ears. Ditch the redbox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17906
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Use your amp. Ditch the in ears. Ditch the redbox.

I like the set up I have, much better than anything else I've used and changing isn't an option because it will involve changing the whole setup for every member of the band which isn't my decision to make.

Prior to this way of working practice was about howling feedback, no one being able to hear themselves, hours to setup and teardown and ringing ears.

If I was that bothered I can just take my amp, but it's extra stuff to setup.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well then bite the bullet and get the Tech 21 pedal. Anything else is going to change you current setup to a greater or lesser degree.
    tFB Trader
    It might be what I end up doing, but I'd like to research if anything else might do the job better because I'm like that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal.

You will still need the Red Box because inexplicably it does not have an emulated output, among its other irritations. However the sound is not one of these! It sounds very good.

The irritations with it for me are the lack of the emulated output, the lack of a separately footswitchable tremolo (you can only turn the whole 'amp' off), and the arrangement of the knobs (gain and volume, reverb and tremolo on fiddly stacked knobs at the ends, treble and bass - the ones you use least - on single large knobs in the middle), all of which make it as good as unusable in a live context for me. But if these things aren't an issue it's very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Award-Session JD10 maybe? Or even an MB-10 if you can find one.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    If we're about not discussing the Black 65 - ... have you tried switching it off and switching it on again?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal.

You will still need the Red Box because inexplicably it does not have an emulated output, among its other irritations. However the sound is not one of these! It sounds very good.

The irritations with it for me are the lack of the emulated output, the lack of a separately footswitchable tremolo (you can only turn the whole 'amp' off), and the arrangement of the knobs (gain and volume, reverb and tremolo on fiddly stacked knobs at the ends, treble and bass - the ones you use least - on single large knobs in the middle), all of which make it as good as unusable in a live context for me. But if these things aren't an issue it's very good.
    It will be set and forget and getting left on so that's not an issue. 

Does it react properly to getting a good kick with an OD?

This was the vid that made me think about the Black 65 + cab sim

It will be set and forget and getting left on so that's not an issue. 

Does it react properly to getting a good kick with an OD?
    Don't know, I never tried it like that.

I should also say it doesn't sound exactly like a Deluxe Reverb - it's chunkier, has more gain, and doesn't do that flubby compression thing that you either love or hate (or both, depending on context) with the real amp. But it's in the same sort of ballpark.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• photekphotek Frets: 1471
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

Get one of these and let me have a play with it :)
    tFB Trader
    I'll look into it. 

I was initially using the Zoom G3 for this purpose, but it just sounds laughably horrible and fizzy if you hit it with an overdrive hence my concern about the Boss.
    tFB Trader
    photek said:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

Get one of these and let me have a play with it :)
    How about you get one and let ME have a play with it!

I really want one of those :)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1471
    edited October 2014
    I am thinking about it. I need to look into if you can leave the sansamp off and then use in the front of an amp (basically I was considering getting the hot plexi pedal anyway so could have this whole thing for a few quid more with a delay pedal as well).

Not sure if the speaker emulation is switched off when you switch the sansamp off.
    tFB Trader
    I think you can switch the Sansamp off, but that means you can't use the reverb or the clean EQ. 

I would have bought one if it could do simultaneous speaker simulated and non speaker simulated outputs.

Richie Kotzen uses one live

• You can disconnect the speaker sim on the joyo if your happy with it. Just a little bit of soldering.
    monquixote said:

I was initially using the Zoom G3 for this purpose, but it just sounds laughably horrible and fizzy if you hit it with an overdrive hence my concern about the Boss.
    I'll borrow one and report back... someone I know has another one for sale.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

I'll borrow one and report back... someone I know has another one for sale.
    Cheers fella.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    I have a Tech 21 Blonde version 1 I might let go.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    tFB Trader
    koss59 said:
    I have a Tech 21 Blonde version 1 I might let go.
    It's only of use to me if it's a version 2 with the button I'm afraid. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    Of note that the Tech 21 is a fair bit cheaper on Thomann than UK stores ( although you'd have to add something else to get free p and p).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.