Fender Preamp in a Box - Black 65?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Maybe the twinulator from 4114 of this parish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you talking about the amp in the room, or the amp through the speaker sim to your in ears? If you're always playing DI the Kemper may be worth a look if it would work out financially vs selling your other gear.

If you're talking amp in room sound vs in ears I don't think you can replace the feeling of air being pushed. Near you by a relatively big unit vs headphones.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3351
    edited October 2014
    Seeing as the Fender Deluxe Reverb Pedal and Wampler 65 are being touted, give the Catalinbread Forumla 5F6 a try. Very Fendery, jangly with just a tad if hair if you want it and being a Nile Rodgers fan, this might be right up your street.
    I don't like the gain beyond 12 o'clock as then it becomes quite Neil Young-ish, and that's not my thing, but in the earlier gain registers, it's clean and great for funk or Tom Petty/Mike Campbell, Knopfler "Sultans" sounds and I can nail "Boys of Summer" with it and (EDIT) Nile ;)
    @dindude - having heard and played my pedal D, how would you describe it? And @hubobulous too? Do you think this one should be in the running for Nick?

Of course, you'd still need to use the Red Box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's worth noting, that two notes torpedo video... Torpedo is incredible, and the cab sim is something I now realise is as important (actually, more important) than the preamp sim. 

The models on POD Farm sound excellent through Torpedo Wall of Sound, like a completely different amp.  Well, it sounded like an amp.

So if you did get something, you might find it has similar qualities to the Joyo anyway - unless run through a 'proper' cab sim. 

Just my two penny worth.  

I know you've tried one, but the AMT F1 would probably be my recommendation. There are others though, like the blug one.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17905
    tFB Trader
    Maybe the twinulator from 4114 of this parish?
    Interesting I'll give it a look. 
    Are you talking about the amp in the room, or the amp through the speaker sim to your in ears? If you're always playing DI the Kemper may be worth a look if it would work out financially vs selling your other gear.
    I'll be using my amp for gigs. Playing without is for reasons of convenience because of our practice room. I would like to try a Kemper as I'm not against digital tech, but I do wonder if it would be too complex for me. I'd have to have a massive fire sale in order to get one.
    Kebabkid said:
    Seeing as the Fender Deluxe Reverb Pedal and Wampler 65 are being touted, give the Catalinbread Forumla 5F6 a try. Very Fendery, jangly with just a tad if hair if you want it and being a Nile Rodgers fan, this might be right up your street.
    Good call I'd give it a look. 

It's worth noting, that two notes torpedo video... Torpedo is incredible, and the cab sim is something I now realise is as important (actually, more important) than the preamp sim. 
    Yeah I appreciate that. I like the sound of the Redbox a lot though so I think I'm happy on that front. The clip of my band I posted recently is my amp through the Redbox and I think it sounds pretty decent.
  • I reckon if all you did was load an amp profile then use your pedalboard in 4CM it would be super easy. But yeah if you still want the amp for gigs I think keeping it but looking for an alternate option for rehearsals makes more sense.

I'm assuming you don't have storage and leaving a spare cheap amp at rehearsal is out of the question?
    tFB Trader
    I reckon if all you did was load an amp profile then use your pedalboard in 4CM it would be super easy. But yeah if you still want the amp for gigs I think keeping it but looking for an alternate option for rehearsals makes more sense.

I'm assuming you don't have storage and leaving a spare cheap amp at rehearsal is out of the question?
    If I could get a Kemper Power head and it was easy to use I'd quite happily use that for everything. I used to gig a TM60 and a POD2 so I'm not afraid of doing it as long as it feels OK (which TBH the POD didn't). 

The thing with rehearsal is that we have unlimited free use of a room, but it's fairly small,  has shit acoustics, it's quite a drive and we can't keep any kit there so we have to completely rig up and rig down for every rehearsal. 

The way we are doing it ATM is to have small mixer headphone preamps on our pedalboards DI into the mixer and then have a monitor mix into the phones. This has the advantage that we don't have to bring or setup foldback, amps or PA and we can also have a perfect multitrack recording of every rehearsal. I can bring my amp if I want to, and run it fairly quiet with the Redbox, but that's more to setup and it puts bleed on the recordings. 

I'll use amps for gigs.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    photek said:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

Get one of these and let me have a play with it :)

Just bought one, pretty impressed so far :)

Yes the emulation is off wit hthe sansamp disengaged, but you can EQ the sansamp to get it to sound the same as your direct amp signal, then tweak a bit and use it as a reverb, or another sound alltogather.

I'm interested to hear more about peoples experience going direct and using in-ear monitors, do you have multiple monitor mixes so the singer gets less guitar, and the guitarist more?  Do you have the drums in the mix or just rely on spill?  How big a PA do you have?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

I was initially using the Zoom G3 for this purpose, but it just sounds laughably horrible and fizzy if you hit it with an overdrive hence my concern about the Boss.
    I'll borrow one and report back... someone I know has another one for sale.
    Cheers fella.
    OK... tested it, with a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion in front - I don't really have an 'overdrive' pedal, so this is the closest and it's capable of some quite nasty sounds as well as good ones so I thought it would be a useful test!

The good news is that it doesn't go fizzy, at all - in fact the opposite, it makes the OS-2 sound more middy. The bad news is that if you overdo it, especially if you boost the input level too far, it starts to break up in a grating, unmusical way... but you've really got to thrash it to get there, so unless you use the overdrive as a "nearly clean boost" then it should be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

I was initially using the Zoom G3 for this purpose, but it just sounds laughably horrible and fizzy if you hit it with an overdrive hence my concern about the Boss.
    I'll borrow one and report back... someone I know has another one for sale.
    Cheers fella.
    OK... tested it, with a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion in front - I don't really have an 'overdrive' pedal, so this is the closest and it's capable of some quite nasty sounds as well as good ones so I thought it would be a useful test!

The good news is that it doesn't go fizzy, at all - in fact the opposite, it makes the OS-2 sound more middy. The bad news is that if you overdo it, especially if you boost the input level too far, it starts to break up in a grating, unmusical way... but you've really got to thrash it to get there, so unless you use the overdrive as a "nearly clean boost" then it should be OK.
    Cheers for the update. 

Might look into that as an option then.