Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Torn between two amps, help

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    If you are after a great clean and an added bonus of a dirt channel have you considered a Fender hot rod deville?
    40watt, reasonably light, 1x12, loud as a mofo etc and the best bit is that there is an abundance of them for £300 used. 
    [Jedi Voice]This is not the amplifier Bucket is looking for. Move along[/Jedi Voice]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Yup. I wouldn't buy a new Mesa. I'd just wait patiently. They always come up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Ok, I've secured myself a really good cab - closed-back Zilla 1x12 with a Black Shadow speaker for £170 - and it's only half an hour away from me. Should be picking that up next week, and will hopefully bring that to Andertons when I go down there. :)

I really do appreciate what you've all said and have given it a lot of thought, but I think going new is still what I want - it'll have a warranty, and I can easily pay it in instalments (I appreciate the PayPal suggestion someone made but this way will honestly be easier for me). I know now that Mesas are a rip-off here compared to the US, but I'll have to live with it - because as ICBM said, the sound and features of a Mesa are difficult to find elsewhere and I know that's what I want, and because I'd rather buy new. The fact I'm paying monthly makes it manageable enough that it's less of a problem anyway IMO.

Call me crazy, but that's where I'm at with this decision atm.

Now... Express 25, Express 50 or Mark V 25?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Not crazy at all! You know what you like, now you just gotta get it!

Try them all ;) my money is on you liking the express 50 though the shredder inside you will wet yourself for the boogie.

Try them all ;) my money is on you liking the express 50 though the shredder inside you will wet yourself for the boogie.
    yup

I have bought stuff new several times despite knowing I could get it cheaper else where etc.
    You have to do what you wanna do. 

Unless its buying 2 £3k PRS guitars at the same time 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    As long as you go into it with eyes open and happy with the price here then happy days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
    As long as you go into it with eyes open and happy with the price here then happy days!
    Exactly!

Nice job on the cab!

• It will be cool to read your write up of the cab. Sounds like a lucky score speaker wise!

yup

I have bought stuff new several times despite knowing I could get it cheaper else where etc.
    You have to do what you wanna do. 

Unless its buying 2 £3k PRS guitars at the same time 

Oi!! :p 
    (I don't regret it lol).
    Now I'm looking for an amp......!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Go to the shop, try both, have fun, buy one. I get the new thing too and this shouldn't need justifying.

From the clips, I prefer the Mk V. I've tried a few express in my time, great amps but not for me but I reckon I could find a lot of nice sounds in the Mk V.
    edited October 2014
    After numerous phone calls to shops, I've established that nowhere has a Mark V 25 and an Express 25 at the same time so I can't A/B them. The best I could find is GuitarGuitar in Epsom, which had the Mark V and an Express 50. Because the V is selling so quickly, I've put down a refundable 10% deposit on it and I'll be heading down there on Friday.

It's not as ideal as A/Bing them but this is my best option - I've a pretty good idea of what the Express sounds like anyway, what's more important to me is being able to try out the Mark V. I don't necessarily have to buy there and then, but who knows?

Anyway, I've got my cab now. Closed-back Zilla 1x12 with a Black Shadow in it. £170. Cushty.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Mark V has a brighter tone. Flame maple always does that.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    You'll love Guitar Guitar in Epsom, be strong and don't look at the Fender Custom Shop display :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I think you'll really like the V. I've just sold my Express as don't regret it as I only really need one main amp sound, but from your style I'd guess it'd fit you well. And the V is just a more flexible, better specced and better sounding version of the same idea.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Surely Westside in Denmark St has both, as they are the distributor?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    @sweepy Been there before, tried an Express 5:25 head with a 1x12 and my pedals - in quite some detail, with a Mayones Regius and yes, a Custom Shop Strat. I'll aim to do the same with the Mark V. Epic place and very accommodating, helpful staff. Brilliant.

@stickyfiddle Hope so - I just hope the lead channel won't suffer from the same problem as the early Mark IV combo I borrowed - the fizz that I just couldn't quite dial out. Difficult to get a sound I liked from that channel. The cleans were fab, but Mesas are always great for that.

@dindude I phoned them up, apparently all the other dealers get the amps before they do! Strange. Probably explains why they're usually pretty slow on the uptake with the floods of new Schecter models every year as well.
  • RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99
    edited October 2014
    Just a 'footnote' but consider the footswitch too as I find the 'solo' on the Express 5:25+ really useful and the MkV:25 does not appear to have a 'Solo' function......

Good call on the solo button, the one on my Nomad is really handy, however i moved it to flat out by accident and hit the wrong switch, needless to say what was left of my hair was promptly parted ;)

• @sweepy I did that too with my MkV nearly died. I really think they need to put a warning on that in the manual.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I love the Nomad, but the knob design is abysmal, they are virtually impossible to see what setting you have on and the graphics are as well thought out as a rattan kettle