Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody else tried Slimming World ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
I signed up on Monday with Mrs Fab and her sister.  I'm on my first real day today....  so far I've busted my 20 syns per day by about er.... ten.

I need to lose a couple of stone.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No, but good luck chap.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    probably a good place to meet women
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Fat ones.

Sorry.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    actually, I saw them down our village hall, about half were thin
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    edited October 2014

probably a good place to meet fat women
    Corrected for accuracy.
    Drew_fx said:
    No, but good luck chap.
    Thanks very much.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    edited October 2014
    To try to make up for my last comment, I do know people who've done it.

It seems like it's essentially just calorie control dressed up in a different way, much like Weight Watchers.  If it works for some people, I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Presumably the money to join it means you can't afford to eat so you lose weight ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    I did Weight Watchers many years ago. Lost 2.5 stone fairly quick. Mrs the Weary did the diet with me at home but didn't go to the club. I very quickly stopped staying for the talks so ended up paying for a weigh in and a booklet each week. But it gives you focus. I didn't carry on when I reached goal weight but it took a couple of years to all go back on. I have thought of going back but the novelty value has long gone and Mrs theWeary won't join in now.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Didn't work.

I had an argument and decided to leave with huge grace.

Wasn't helping her either.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, I did it when my wife did it. 

I didn't go to classes, but I ate the same stuff that she did. I lost some weight which is unsurprising as all diets work if you stick to them. 

I think the main advantage is if you are someone who will be motivated by the shaming of a public weigh in in which you've gained weight. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    A friend of mine has a book shelf in his kitchen - on one side are his wife's cook books;on the other - her diet books. She has more of the latter than the former and is still overweight....

He told me a story about a man in Ireland who ran a series of ads in newspapers offering '100% effective weight-loss advice' - in return for a £10 fee. Apparently those who sent off for it received a piece of paper which read 'eat less, exercise more'....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    ^ at WW there was no public shaming, it isn't like Fat Fighters! I went to a few different groups and they were all the same, your weight gain/ loss was between you and the leader ( well, and maybe the next person in the queue). But, yes, doing it with your significant other, to me, was the bigger deal than the group really.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My wife done/does it, she hasn't gone to a meeting for about 6 months but sticks to the diet, she's lost 3 and a half stone so far.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    +1 to being good if keeping face in a group setting will focus you.
    In time good habits may stick, but it's often not the case

The paleo diet seems to be popular again this year and with good reason (think there was a horizon programme on it)
    The 2:5 diet works if you can be disciplined to do it and it has far reaching health implications

Some of the plans where they supply decent REAL food (not shakes or stuff) can be really good.
    Natural Ketosis seem to be a really good one for that - tried it and the food is excellant and proper real food, just low in carbs.

I lost a load with them , but recent sitting at home comfort eating  has been bad for me, so I may get back on the case
    They seem to be doing a month' drop a jeans size thing this month so may be worth doing.
    They supply all the meals (apart from the fresh veg and fruit which is easy enough to get)

Interestingly enough the paleo diet isn't so different - few starches or sugars and the weight wil fall off.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    In June I left a place I'd worked for six years.  All during that time one of the ladies there was always on a diet, or asking how she could lose weight, and I always said the same thing:  stop drinking.  But nothing changed.

Until about a week after I left when unfortunately her husband died unexpectedly.  I saw her about a fortnight ago and she looked slim and, as it happens, really fabulous.  The only change which had happened was that she'd stopped drinking.

A few days ago I got an email from her saying she'd just had a couple of lagers.

I'm predicting now that all that weight will be back on by Christmas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    I've tried Slimming World and Weightwatchers.

I lost five stone with WW over two years.   I've lost about six pounds in six months with SW.

The problem with SW as I see it, is that they say certain foods are unlimited -  "eat as much as you want" - pasta, rice, spuds, Muller Light yogurts etc.  I did that for a while and worked out that my calorific intake was something like 3500-4000 per day.  :-O

Weightwatchers is far more sensible as it encourages portion control. The results may be slower but it does work.

I now combine a weekly weigh in with the "My Fitness Pal" app.   If I stick to 1800 cals per day, I can have a "blow out" saturday (beer at football and a takeaway on the way home) and still lose weight.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Mrs B did SW before our wedding and lost 20lbs. She wasn't massively overweight, she just wanted to look good for the big day. Some of the recipes she brought home are very nice and she said you don't really feel like you're dieting. You do need to watch the syns though and don't overdo them.

It did seem to me that having the group support and the weekly weigh in kept her focused and motivated. She won slimmer of the week a couple of times and that made her even more determined to keep going. She's stayed the same weight btw, even though she stopped going, just by sticking to the same principles she learnt at SW.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014
    actually, I saw them down our village hall, about half were thin

Ones with mental problems are even easier.

All slimming for you wedding day does is confuse the kids.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770

My wife went to swimming world. Lost loads of weight, felt more confident, looked great.

She liked the attention she got and had several affairs at work then threw me out.

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    Best of luck Emp, it works if you stick at it, my mother in law goes to it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"