Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody else tried Slimming World ?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    My wife has done it before - not sure why as she doesn't need to lose weight FFS - but has had good results. It's REALLY easy if you're not a fussy eater and enjoy cooking as there's loads of recipe ideas online, in the magazines, in the little books you can get. Aside from sticking to diet drinks and sugar replacements, most other stuff is just "normal" food, so it's not a diet as such, just a focused healthy eating plan.

The other half found it difficult sometimes as there's some foods she doesn't like, so trying to vary stuff is hard and she gets bored eating the same thing all the time (I could eat the same thing every day without issue), but it's a really easy program to help focus on a more healthy diet and to help cut out the crap. 

Oh and I believe it's the rules to have a cheat day after your weekly weigh in :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    ^^^ one of the WW groups I went to was in a pub, some of the members had pints lined up for after weigh in.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eating properly, instead of necking chips and associated rubbish food, had me get better by five stone since mid January.

I think that I've got to the point where I an going to have to start exercising to keep improving.

It's costing me a fortune in new clothes though.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Eating properly, instead of necking chips and associated rubbish food, had me get better by five stone since mid January.

I think that I've got to the point where I an going to have to start exercising to keep improving.

It's costing me a fortune in new clothes though.
    Buy a road bike mate. If you do 30-40 miles a week, you can basically eat what you want and not put any weight on. If you carry on being healthy and start riding, the weight will continue to drop.

• joneve said:
    Buy a road bike mate. If you do 30-40 miles a week, you can basically eat what you want and not put any weight on. If you carry on being healthy and start riding, the weight will continue to drop.

I cut out cakes, sweets and crisps, bought a cyclocross bike, started cycling to work, joined a social cycling group and since June I've lost 38lb and now cycle 70 miles a week.
    I was staggered how much rubbish I ate if I wasn't actually recording it and how much of that rubbish was simply refined sugar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    @Emp_Fab you can get plenty of moral support from the wife and the group. That said the most important thing is to control what you eat. Just keep a notebook in your pocket or have it on your phone and log everything you consume during the day. You will be able to see that you neither need it all or can afford it (not just financially but for your health too).
    I had a health scare a month or two back and needed to lose weight and be even more healthy, I lost 13 lbs in the first 10 days! OK so I was/am a fat bastard, but it just proves it's will power and consumption control that make the difference. You know you can do it you just have to prove it to the rest of us.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    When you hear 'Well done Sandra, you've lost 2lbs this week' and a ripple of polite applause goes around the group, you can't help thinking 'that's bugger all', but..... if you pick up a 2lb bag of sugar or somesuch and bounce it in your hand, then imagine that hanging off you everywhere you go, it's quite a shock  -  and that's just two pounds.

It's amazing how you just adjust to your body weight, how you can be carrying several stones of fat baggage around with you everywhere and you're not constantly aware of it, because it goes on gradually.  If I were to try to carry five stones of shopping, I'd be collapsing after a hundred yards !

It must be a terrible strain on the heart and joints to be dragging all that lard about.

There's no way I'm not sticking to this.  I'm about two stone heavier now than when I had my heart attack, and that's not good, even if I no longer smoke.  I can't afford to play 'Cardiac Russian Roulette' again....  I was lucky the first time.

So.... 15st 4lb is my (clothed) starting weight, I'm almost 5'10" and that makes my BMI about 31.  I'm not a 'real fatty' as such, I'm broad-shouldered and the only place I can really see the fat is on my belly and a bit around my jaw.  Either way, my first goal is to lose two stone.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i'm on a bit of slimming thing as well...i bought the rasberry kenote pills and the aloe colon cleanse...but after reading a bit more about it, i dont take the rasberry kenote pills. but the aloe colon cleanse is quite good...has not bad impacts and is all good for you. What i've also started doing is not having dinners...thats not completely accurate, but my dinner meals were the big issue...i always eat like a pig at dinner. So what I'm doing is having a lean whey protein shake as soon as I get home, and then for dinner I'll have a big of steamed vegatables. Breakfast and lunch havent changed, but I usually buy decent food and i burn through it anyway with cycling and what not.

only in week 1...so we'll see how it goes.

This slimming world seems pretty good though...so if this doesnt work after a couple of months I may hit it up.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I did it, lost almost 3 stone. It's kind of cult-like, IMO. Repeated mantras, lies ("you don't have to weigh anything!") and sitting in a group look at leader.

It works, but the people did my head in. FWIW I've yo-yod around the midway point of my weightloss since then.
    My V key is broken
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Grunfeld;372980" said:
    In June I left a place I'd worked for six years.  All during that time one of the ladies there was always on a diet, or asking how she could lose weight, and I always said the same thing:  stop drinking.  But nothing changed.

Until about a week after I left when unfortunately her husband died unexpectedly.  I saw her about a fortnight ago and she looked slim and, as it happens, really fabulous.  The only change which had happened was that she'd stopped drinking.

A few days ago I got an email from her saying she'd just had a couple of lagers.

I'm predicting now that all that weight will be back on by Christmas.
    This in spades. Beer is the worst single foodstuff on earth for the waist line. I generally have on and off periods with drink and after a boozy august and early September I stopped. 5 kilos lighter in a month.

Weightwatchers is bad science. Old 1970s nonsense that makes life unpleasant. Paleo is vastly better as it is backed by a more rigorous understanding of how the body digests food. Calorie control is a way of forming bad habits and being permanently unsatisfied.

If you have to drink stick to red wine. It's way better for the heart, full of antioxidants and not stuffed with dead carbs.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Evilmags said:

If you have to drink stick to red wine. It's way better for the heart, full of antioxidants and not stuffed with dead carbs.
    Suits me!
    Why do neat spirits have a 'Syn' value ?  I don't get that.  I want to drink alcohols !!!!

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Because alcohol contains lots of sugar,, she'd loads in fact :-)
    What - even gin ? :-(

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    if you put enough lemon in it, it'll counteract all the sugar.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    In regards to the red wine is better etc, it's not strictly true, as although it does have antioxidants in it, the sugar and alcohol counteract the goodness, the stress on the liver etc is quite phenomenal with red wine especially when you compare the abv % of wine compared to a bitter, :-)

I'm not trying to prove evil mags wrong but as an alcohol and drug practitioner, I see the other side of alcohol, and really no alcohol in any amount is good for you, your essentially drinking rotten fruit/plant matter and sugar:-)

Having said that having a couple of pints on a weekend is def not something to worry about at all, it's the daily drinking that can lead to horrific consequences :-)
    Steady on... I was only after a large G&T.  I'm not really up for 'horrific consequences'.  :))

Well - five pounds lost in my first week !  Yay !!!

I've celebrated tonight with a beef chilli, rice, two cans of Bud and a Picnic bar.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well done dude. Keep it up.
    You're on.... I'm going for the full six cans AND a quarter bottle of gin.