Any known occurrence of the Metal Zone being used successfully?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
edited October 2014 in FX

I was going to say "in a music context", but then thought better of it...

I used to gig with one and my trusty old Laney World Series (that was my rhythm "chug").

I guess it must have been acceptable,  but (lucky) no know recording remain, and the fact I had even less taste (but better hearing) back then, who's to say? 

Anyone? They were lauded as being an "essential" pedal.  I remember a magazine doing an article on how versatile they were (i think it was Guitarist).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rocker6rocker6 Frets: 16
    Yeah simon neil from biffy clyro
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    rocker6 said:
    Yeah simon neil from biffy clyro
    what he said, but isnt it blended with two other amps?
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    It wasn't in the early days - just into a Peavey Classic. Later on it was the Classic/Fender Deville split. Nowadays he uses an Axe Fx, although his board is still onstage it doesn't sound like much of his FOH sound goes through it. The Blackened Sky record sounds like a Metal Zone through a Marshall to me.

Warren Haynes used to use one on early Gov't Mule stuff, apparently.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17904
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Graham Coxon used one for a while, but I thought of him as more of a RAT user. 
  • I thought the guy from Biffy used an HM2 and an MD2?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Him from The Vines uses one often and to good effect. Not for metal though, thankfully 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Well, colour me suprised!

I'd never found anyone using them. The reason I asked is I picked one up on Denmark Street for £25, I'd knocked him down from £35 .. I still think I overpaid.

I really just wanted one for nostalgia purposes, plus I figured there'd be a way to mod it to sound good. There isn't.

It does have some charm though, but more of as a wierd fuzz type effect (if you use the parametric to boost, rather than cut, it sounds like ... something (the kind of "something" where a listener would assume you meant it).

Anyway ... all good stuff!
  • Well, colour me suprised!

I'd never found anyone using them. The reason I asked is I picked one up on Denmark Street for £25, I'd knocked him down from £35 .. I still think I overpaid.

I really just wanted one for nostalgia purposes, plus I figured there'd be a way to mod it to sound good. There isn't.

It does have some charm though, but more of as a wierd fuzz type effect (if you use the parametric to boost, rather than cut, it sounds like ... something (the kind of "something" where a listener would assume you meant it).

Anyway ... all good stuff!
    That's it - play with conviction. ;)
  • It's an ok paperweight
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17904
    tFB Trader
    I should add that gutting the pedal and turning into a Zen Drive is pretty successful!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/23363/metal-zen-win-a-pedal-now-with-audio#latest

Compo still open until the weekend!
  • You could bludgeon fish with it
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I do believe that Entombed recorded all of Ldft Hand Path with one..
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    JDE said:
    It wasn't in the early days - just into a Peavey Classic. Later on it was the Classic/Fender Deville split. Nowadays he uses an Axe Fx, although his board is still onstage it doesn't sound like much of his FOH sound goes through it. The Blackened Sky record sounds like a Metal Zone through a Marshall to me.

Warren Haynes used to use one on early Gov't Mule stuff, apparently.

I'm pretty sure he said Blackened Sky was a Metal Zone into a Peavey Bandit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Keeley, amongst others, have modded MT2s to great effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Sorrow intro, Pink Floyd

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Bidley said:
    Keeley, amongst others, have modded MT2s to great effect.
    From the reviews I've seen, it still seems to sound a bit naff, albeit with reduced fizz. 

I don't know what I'm expecting though :)
  • I think (and @drbob will correct me) that the Lord of tone, David Gilmour used one for the introduction to sorrow on the album momentary lapse of reason
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Jetfire;374061" said:
    I do believe that Entombed recorded all of Ldft Hand Path with one..
    Nah...that was the HM2...totally different beast.

But MT's are pretty cool...depending on the rest of the rig they can give you some great noises.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Travisthedog;374252" said:
    I think (and @drbob will correct me) that the Lord of tone, David Gilmour used one for the introduction to sorrow on the album momentary lapse of reason
    See, I thought that, but Gilmourish seems to suggest that it was actually a Big Muff into a Fender Concert amp which was then played out through the Floyd's Quad PA system in the LA Sports Arena & re-recorded.

Which I bet was cheap..

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    DrBob said:
    Travisthedog;374252" said:
    I think (and @drbob will correct me) that the Lord of tone, David Gilmour used one for the introduction to sorrow on the album momentary lapse of reason
    See, I thought that, but Gilmourish seems to suggest that it was actually a Big Muff into a Fender Concert amp which was then played out through the Floyd's Quad PA system in the LA Sports Arena & re-recorded.

Which I bet was cheap..

I thought it was a HM through the quad in the LA arena?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)