Boss. Delay - am I the only one?

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    roberty said:
    Looks cool. For digitally controlled analog, did Tom Cram's DOD get there first with the Rubberneck? Wish I'd got one when they were on sale for £160 recently
    No idea if it was first but I love the Rubberneck. It's really got a uniqueness to it. Thomann selling them at £173 at the moment which seems like a decent price. Tempted to get a back up. 
    Saw that actually after I posted this. Does seem like a good offer. Maybe the one I saw recently was even less. Either way I am interested now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 928
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Looks cool. For digitally controlled analog, did Tom Cram's DOD get there first with the Rubberneck? Wish I'd got one when they were on sale for £160 recently
    No idea if it was first but I love the Rubberneck. It's really got a uniqueness to it. Thomann selling them at £173 at the moment which seems like a decent price. Tempted to get a back up. 
    Saw that actually after I posted this. Does seem like a good offer. Maybe the one I saw recently was even less. Either way I am interested now
    I wish I'd got one when they were being sold off around £120-130 (around the time the Gonkulator was £60). I thought I'd keep an eye on it, and it's just steadily crept up in price since. Ah well.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    What's the guitar Danish Pete is playing in the vid? My eyes ain't good.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3354
    The Heritage.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5206

Heritage. 

I'm not that familiar with the range, but I'm guessing it's an H-530

https://www.andertons.co.uk/heritage-guitars/heritage-standard-collection-h-530-antique-natural

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• allenallen Frets: 761
    This is up my alley, but no screen for ms/bpm. 

Plus why only one ‘feature’ per algorithm- why not just have more knobs in all that space?

I will probably end up getting one though. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    allen said:
    This is up my alley, but no screen for ms/bpm. 

Plus why only one ‘feature’ per algorithm- why not just have more knobs in all that space?

I will probably end up getting one though. 
    I come at from a different angle, perfect feature set but why so bloody big! 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    The blurb mentions 8 BBD chips. If these are xx3025 or xx3005 chips, that's up to 2.4 seconds total at normal analog delay frequency range. More likely there are parallel paths eg for the multi-head setting. I do hope they've managed to do this with a relatively bright delay signal (like the EHX DMM, or the Boss DM-2w's Custom mode) - previous attempts by Maxon to do multi-head analog delay (AD9 Pro, AD999 Pro) have been disappointingly dark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    My opinion on these kind of advanced time based FX units...when you're playing live It's hard to tell the difference between a Moog and a cheap behringer delay for example. And if you're using something like this in the studio, they don't sound much better than plugins, at least not to the point where it's worth the hassle of routing the audio out from your daw and printing it back in again. Same with reverb and any modulation FX. I only find it's worth paying extra ££s for drives, fuzz, distortion etc. Just my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    My opinion on these kind of advanced time based FX units...when you're playing live It's hard to tell the difference between a Moog and a cheap behringer delay for example. And if you're using something like this in the studio, they don't sound much better than plugins, at least not to the point where it's worth the hassle of routing the audio out from your daw and printing it back in again. Same with reverb and any modulation FX. I only find it's worth paying extra ££s for drives, fuzz, distortion etc. Just my opinion. 
    Ah, well that’s why it takes all sorts. I couldn’t disagree with all of this more! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Can of worms officially opened.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    Yet on another thread everyone is praising the Caline Blue Sky overdrive pedal that is £26 on Amazon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2023
    I’m convinced now:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337

The sounds in my head are much more delays than they are overdrives (there’s just a bit of overdrive, quite a bit of overdrive and possibly too much overdrive isn’t there?)so I do like the look of the Boss. Yes, £450 for a bit of slapback buried in the mix is probably daft but if delay is a lot of your sound it’s cheap compared to buying, let’s say, a Les Paul. 
    Anyway, I hardly play these days and when I do should probably make do with the four delay pedals I’ve already got but I do think Boss have come up with a nice product here. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • allenallen Frets: 761
    I was totally underwhelmed by the Anderton's video.

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1553
    Was thinking about this. Then I watched TPS and thought, ‘I don’t need that at all!’
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    I might watch the JHS video later. I thought the TPS one was interesting but they are so conservative in how they use delay (ooh not too much level; what? You are demoing the delay FFS!) that it was hard to get much idea of what the Boss actually has to offer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Was thinking about this. Then I watched TPS and thought, ‘I don’t need that at all!’
    I'm very pleased to hear that - more chance that they'll be in stock when I get paid for my recent gigs and order one!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    Keefy said:
    I'm very pleased to hear that - more chance that they'll be in stock when I get paid for my recent gigs and order one!
    There are LOADS in stock. The price will drop.