What is an amazing album with a (kind of) crap opening track?

What's Hot

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    In light of Glastonbury and Hyde Park, I think we can add Right Next Door to Hell on Use Your Illusion I. The song is not helped by the fact that Dust n Bones - a Izzy classic - is the second song and Civil War is the opening track on UYI II.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4990
    Ahhh man, I love Right Next Door To Hell and it's a true story!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 263
    I’m sure we did this topic recently. I noted it for someone’s hot take was Welcome to the Jungle was a poor opening track
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Big Thief - Masterpiece
    1st track Little Arrow. Still their best album though IMO.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1593
    I’m sure we did this topic recently. I noted it for someone’s hot take was Welcome to the Jungle was a poor opening track
     I had this similarish thread:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/239932/great-albums-where-you-tend-to-skip-the-first-track#latest

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    Siouxsie & The Banshees debut album "The Scream" opens with "Pure" which is horrible. The rest of the album is staggerngly good.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7249
    LPManic said:
    Was thinking about album sequencing today and how important a banger of an opening track is or was to an album.

But what are some famous or well respected or huge selling albums with (kind of) crap opening tracks? Or at least songs that are not in the same league as the rest of the album?

Three off the top of my head:

Taxman - Revolver
    Hello - Morning Glory
    EXP - Axis: Bold as Love

Any others?

Funnily enough, EXP was precisely what came to mind when I saw this thread title (the silly talky bit, not the song).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5113
    LPManic said:
    In light of Glastonbury and Hyde Park, I think we can add Right Next Door to Hell on Use Your Illusion I. The song is not helped by the fact that Dust n Bones - a Izzy classic - is the second song and Civil War is the opening track on UYI II.
    pretty sure UYI 1 and 2 is a great EP padded out to 2 double albums
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6580
    Reverend said:
    LPManic said:
    pretty sure UYI 1 and 2 is a great EP padded out to 2 double albums
    with a drummer who ruined the whole sound of the band.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    LPManic said:
    Was thinking about album sequencing today and how important a banger of an opening track is or was to an album.

But what are some famous or well respected or huge selling albums with (kind of) crap opening tracks? Or at least songs that are not in the same league as the rest of the album?

Three off the top of my head:

Taxman - Revolver
    Hello - Morning Glory
    EXP - Axis: Bold as Love

Any others?

Wow. Three of the best tracks by the artists. Crazy. 
    bobeffect said:
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Wildest Dreams off Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

Was going to say exactly the same about The Second Coming 1st track....I always fast forward it 4mins & 30secs to get to the good bit.
    The river in Wepre woods in North Wales that, where I often walk my dog. I love it just for that fact.  
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 512
    bobeffect said:
    The sound collage that lasts an eternity at the start of The Second Coming. The song proper, Breaking Into Heaven is a decent song, but the preamble is unbearable.

Was going to say exactly the same about The Second Coming 1st track....I always fast forward it 4mins & 30secs to get to the good bit.
    The river in Wepre woods in North Wales that, where I often walk my dog. I love it just for that fact.  
    How can I verify this? Great trivia for another local!
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 944
    edited July 2023
    Rise and Fall of Ziggy stardust....Five Years....then Soul Love. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MrTee said:
    bobeffect said:

The second coming demos  were done at the brewery studio, which backed onto the woods (by the kennels). Its still there as a private residence. Wepre Park is also mentioned in a Catatonia song

Connah's Quay (en-academic.com) 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited July 2023
    Springywheel said:
    Rise and Fall of Ziggy stardust....Five Years....then Soul Love. 
    Don't know where to start with this… Five Years is my favourite track on the album and one of my favourite songs in Bowie's entire catalogue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 512
    MrTee said:
    bobeffect said:

The second coming demos  were done at the brewery studio, which backed onto the woods (by the kennels). Its still there as a private residence. Wepre Park is also mentioned in a Catatonia song

Connah's Quay (en-academic.com) 
    I bought a drum kit from the guy who moved into the old studios a number of years back (was it called angel hair studios?). Just didn't know the wepre stream bit, cool! I'll have a chuckle to myself next time I pass it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Wish You Were Here - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

(Only joking…)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    I honestly can't think of anything.  But I'm sure one day I'll put on an album and think of this thread.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825

It's far, far too long, but it's great when BIH kicks in. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1870
    Out of Time by REM is great, but I've always felt Radio Song with it's unnecessary rapping part diminishes the album.

The first song off Flaming Lip's 7 Skies H3 goes on a bit too.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.