Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great albums where you tend to skip the first track

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1593
I think there's a few for me, starting with

Badmotorfinger (probably sacrilege for some)
Randy Newman "Good old boys" - find it uncomfortable regardless of intended satire / irony / whatever
Enuff z nuff "Strength" - probably an odd one to think of!
Spritualized "Let it come down"
The Band / The Band
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14717
    Velvet Underground & Nico - Sunday Morning
    peter gabriel PG1 - Moribund The Burgermeister
    Richard Thompson - Roll Over Vaughn Williams

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet and New Jersey
    Both have superb opening tracks. Let it Rock and Lay your hands on me. Unfortunately both have a preamble that is a load of shite that only works well as the opening of a live show and gets right on my tits when I’m waiting for the song to start.
  • I skip through the soundscape nonsense that forms what feels like the first 8 minutes of Breaking Into Heaven off The Stone Roses’ The Second Coming.

I also skip the first track off New Orders Technique. Fine Time, perhaps? Just doesn’t fir with the rest of the album, for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh and Wildest Dreams on Maiden’s Dance of Death is rubbish.

• horsehorse Frets: 1593
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet and New Jersey
    Both have superb opening tracks. Let it Rock and Lay your hands on me. Unfortunately both have a preamble that is a load of shite that only works well as the opening of a live show and gets right on my tits when I’m waiting for the song to start.
     Let it Rock might be my least favourite track on slippery I think
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    Queen - Jazz - Mustapha. I just don't like that song at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6918
    Planet Telex off The Bends.

It’s a weak opener for me - but I do know others who rate it. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I never skip songs. It’s just not the done thing for me. The only time I would would be a regular album with an Xmas song on it. I can’t bear anything Xmas unless it’s Christmas time. I don’t have any albums like that thus far.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    ABBA - Arrival - When I Kissed The Teacher. Not only one of their least good songs, totally wrong as the opener. In fact the whole album running order is abysmal… for one thing, Arrival is the last track, when it should be the first.

Perhaps there needs to be another thread about albums where all the songs are good but the album doesn’t work as well as it should because the order is wrong!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• horsehorse Frets: 1593
    axisus said:
    I never skip songs. It’s just not the done thing for me. The only time I would would be a regular album with an Xmas song on it. I can’t bear anything Xmas unless it’s Christmas time. I don’t have any albums like that thus far.
     I don't tend to skip tracks once an album has started, but I think I skip certain opening tracks to get to the stuff I prefer faster. So @ICBM ; may be on to something about ordering - I probably wouldnt skip those same tracks if the running order were different
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    ICBM said:
    Queen - Jazz - Mustapha. I just don't like that song at all.
    I love that song!

Jazz was the last great Queen album for me. I think it was hampered with a ludicrously poor title and utterly dreadful album artwork.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t really do this, but I did find the start of Pearl Jam’s Ten a little tedious. See also, innumerable hip-hop skits in the ‘90s. 
  • Skip is a strong word, but Rainy Day Women followed by Pledging My Time is a weak start to Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Appetite for Destruction, Welcome to the Jungle could have been binned or somehow ended up on the cutting room floor.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7231
    EXP, the opening track of The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s otherwise excellent Axis: Bold As Love.
  • Rocker said:
    Appetite for Destruction, Welcome to the Jungle could have been binned or somehow ended up on the cutting room floor.....
    This is the absolute hottest take I’ve read on this website. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    This is the absolute hottest take I’ve read on this website. 
    Yeah, for me it's the best opening track on a debut album ever. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    Planet Telex off The Bends.

It’s a weak opener for me - but I do know others who rate it. 
    I was going to say Airbag from OK Computer. Love the rest of the album but not that song. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I bought the second album by Vivian Campbell’s side band the Riverdogs. It’s really good, apart from the first track which sounds really contrived and awful & like a bad attempt to write a single. The rest of the album is smoky blues & Americana tinged classic rock of the highest standard. 
  • Sticky Fingers.  One of my all-time favourite albumbs but never cared for Brown Sugar, or Bitch which was the first track on the second side.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom