Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great albums where you tend to skip the first track

What's Hot

Comments

• I skip through the soundscape nonsense that forms what feels like the first 8 minutes of Breaking Into Heaven off The Stone Roses’ The Second Coming.

I also skip the first track off New Orders Technique. Fine Time, perhaps? Just doesn’t fir with the rest of the album, for me.

The second coming was what I was thinking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I skip through the soundscape nonsense that forms what feels like the first 8 minutes of Breaking Into Heaven off The Stone Roses’ The Second Coming.

I also skip the first track off New Orders Technique. Fine Time, perhaps? Just doesn’t fir with the rest of the album, for me.

The second coming was what I was thinking. 
    It's a shame they weren't split into two tracks, as Breaking Into Heaven is actually I song I like a lot, it just is impractical to listen to.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    ICBM said:
    ABBA - Arrival - When I Kissed The Teacher. Not only one of their least good songs, totally wrong as the opener. In fact the whole album running order is abysmal… for one thing, Arrival is the last track, when it should be the first.

Perhaps there needs to be another thread about albums where all the songs are good but the album doesn’t work as well as it should because the order is wrong!
    The Darkness used to have ‘Arrival’ as their intro, as they hit the stage and launched into ‘Bareback’.

It was epic :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    Chris Rea - Road to Hell pt1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    88CuzJ said:
    Chris Rea - Road to Hell pt1
    Road to Hell pt1 is excellent, and a great opener.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Slunky on EC’s eponymous debut album. A pointless waste of space.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    edited January 2023
    horse said:
    I think there's a few for me, starting with

Badmotorfinger (probably sacrilege for some)
    Enuff z nuff "Strength" - probably an odd one to think of!

I don't think there are any albums where I skip the opening tracks, but I'm quite surprised by both of those!

Edit:  Actually the more I think about it, Strength is one of my favourite albums ever.  I've got all the other Enuff Z'Nuff albums (apart from the last few, I've lost track and it's not the same without Donnie...) but none of them even come close to Strength.  Derek Frigo (RIP) may not have been a songwriter, but I think he made a big difference on those first few albums.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5011
    JerkMoans said:
    ICBM said:
    ABBA - Arrival - When I Kissed The Teacher. Not only one of their least good songs, totally wrong as the opener. In fact the whole album running order is abysmal… for one thing, Arrival is the last track, when it should be the first.

Perhaps there needs to be another thread about albums where all the songs are good but the album doesn’t work as well as it should because the order is wrong!
    The Darkness used to have ‘Arrival’ as their intro, as they hit the stage and launched into ‘Bareback’.

It was epic :D 
    Still is and it's amazing! Although they never play Bareback now :(

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Second coming was the first one I thought of. Although I do leave it on sometimes as I know the river well that Mani recorded it at, In Wepre Park Connahs Quay North Wales where the studio was they were demoing at.  
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5011
    edited January 2023
    Invaders at the beginning of arguably one of the greatest metal albums of all time, Number Of The Beast. Total wank, even the half decent verse riff can't save it from the turgid chorus and distinct scent of filler. 

Don't know what they were smoking when they sequenced the album, but wow what a stinker. The rest of the album ranges from very good to the simply amazing classic Hallowed... at the end.

Then, bafflingly when they did the 40th anniversary reissue this year they decide to add Total Eclipse and replace a song.... Do they replace the utter tripe that is Invaders, no they drop Gangland which is half decent. E's frickin nuts Arry Arris is.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Philly_Q said:
    horse said:

I don't think there are any albums where I skip the opening tracks, but I'm quite surprised by both of those!

Edit:  Actually the more I think about it, Strength is one of my favourite albums ever.  I've got all the other Enuff Z'Nuff albums (apart from the last few, I've lost track and it's not the same without Donnie...) but none of them even come close to Strength.  Derek Frigo (RIP) may not have been a songwriter, but I think he made a big difference on those first few albums.
    Yeah, it is quite surprising that someone would like Badmotorfinger, but not Rusty Cage. Love the song.. it was the first Soundgarden song I heard. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    I do like Rusty Cage, but I think in my head I associate Badmotorfinger more with the Outshined type of pace / tone, so I usually want to get onto that asap.

I do still really like Strength too - I think the first track intro riff was just slightly too cheesy for me though, and not sure the bridge into the chorus quite works for me. Love lots of tracks on that album though, and for a "glam" album I think there's a lot of soul in it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    I prefer Soundgarden on the faster songs like Rusty Cage and Circle Of Power to when they do The Obsessed thing.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7301
    Philly_Q said:
    horse said:

Yeah, it is quite surprising that someone would like Badmotorfinger, but not Rusty Cage. Love the song.. it was the first Soundgarden song I heard. 
    If I was being picky, it’s the intro to Rusty Cage that I don’t like.  The rest of it is great.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Cols said:
    Philly_Q said:
    horse said:

If I was being picky, it’s the intro to Rusty Cage that I don’t like.  The rest of it is great.
    I’m not a big Soundgarden fan but I think of Rusty Cage as probably the best thing they did with one of the best intros in rock music. 
    Anyway, off to look at sofas. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I haven't listened to Soundgarden for a long time but god, they had a string of fantastic albums for a few years back then.

(I was listening to Enuff Z'Nuff last night though.)
  • Went to listen to the Rusty Cage intro and now listening to the whole album for the many hundredth time (pretty obvious I'm a fan from my Avatar!)... those first five songs are incredible rock songs... it then gets more eclectic. Superunknown is their masterpiece though in my opinion. 
  • Actually... when Down on The Upside came out, I wasn't keen on Pretty Noose for a number of years... now I think it's superb, though the lyrics are uncomfortable given what happened to CC. 
    Went to listen to the Rusty Cage intro and now listening to the whole album for the many hundredth time (pretty obvious I'm a fan from my Avatar!)... those first five songs are incredible rock songs... it then gets more eclectic. Superunknown is their masterpiece though in my opinion. 
    It just struck me that the cover art is by Mark Dancey from Big Chief.  I loved that band, although they seem to have been almost erased from history.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    I saw then in 1992 and they were so bad I've not not been able to get back in to them since. 
    I fell asleep last time I saw them.