New Steven Wilson album 2015

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
edited October 2014 in Music
I'm seriously looking forward to this ... right up my street. Great band ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17891
    tFB Trader
    Ooo is it going to feature GG and Marco?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited October 2014
    Ooo is it going to feature GG and Marco?
    Watch the video .. cool GG solo at the end .. it's basically the same band as the Raven album ..

• I miss Porcupine Tree... :(
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756

I miss Porcupine Tree... :(
    I'd love something a bit heavier and a PT album and tour would be great,  but the clips on there are enough to suggest the next one will be as good as Raven.  Hopefully I won't miss the tour for this one. :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Excited!!!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sounds good. I recently got into a bit of Porcupine Tree. Some of their output did sound a bit Christian rock though (e.g. Lazarus), I hope he doesn't go down that route with the new material.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Sounds good to me too. Embarrassed because I didn't actually know who Steven Wilson is, and only very dimly aware of Porcupine Tree (i.e. just a name I'd heard somewhere once or twice). So good to have my mind expanded, cheers! :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I miss Porcupine Tree too. For a while they were my favourite band. I do think the last album represented a bit of a decline in quality though - some great tracks but LOTS of filling in time. I wonder if they fell out.

Not been quite as sold on SW's subsequent solo stuff. He's got a great ear for a pop hook and I miss that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. Must buy. 

I must buy that.
    Cirrus said:
    I miss Porcupine Tree too. For a while they were my favourite band. I do think the last album represented a bit of a decline in quality though - some great tracks but LOTS of filling in time. I wonder if they fell out.

Not been quite as sold on SW's subsequent solo stuff. He's got a great ear for a pop hook and I miss that.
    It's clear he's loving getting a bit more proggy, I'm sure I read an interview where he had all this material building up but he knew it wouldn't fit in with what people want from PT, hence the solo releases that have given him space to progress into a different direction.

PT were never really that much of a collaborative band anyway, it's all SW behind it all and this is the material he wants to be putting out at the moment.

Maybe he'll go back to the PT stuff sometime (and I really do hope he does as those are some of my favourite records and gigs). 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17891
    tFB Trader
    Would someone be so kind as to do a beginners guide to Porcupine Tree?
    I'm sure I did somewhere as @boogieman was asking the same....I shall search.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    edited October 2014
    This ought to do it. If you like this, you'll like a lot of the other stuff from In Absentia and Deadwing, probably their best two albums. Pop structures with great melodies, production and heavier/ more avant garde influences.

Fear of a Blank Planet is more intense and proggy with some quite long songs. It was my favourite for a long time.

The Incident is the worst of both worlds - pop - structure songs without the hooks.
    Not easy ... my favourite albums are:

Deadwing
    In Absentia
    Lightbulb sun
    The Incident
    Atlanta

• ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    edited October 2014
    They've changed drastically over the yrs although 'illosaariock' live album is a good place to start for a mix.
    Standout tracks for me, to YouTube.

Even less,
    Trains,
    Anaesthetise,
    Remember me lover,
    Time flies (massive nod to floyd),
    Arriving somewhere but not here,
    Open car,
    Heart attack in a layby.

Should get you started
    There's three stages really.

The early finding their (his) feet/style albums....then the mid period slightly floydy stuff....then the starts to write catchy tunes but also gets heavier period.

Fretwired lists the ones in that last phase, the heavier stuff but with great songs.

"The Sky Moves Sideways" is my favourite mid period floydy one, lots of great meandering stuff like "Moonloop" and "The Sky Moves Sideways", and check out "Voyage 34" (music put over recordings of an LSD experiment).

"Signify" and "Stupid Dream" bridge the gap between the old and new sounds.

There's a great compliation of the earlier stuff, "Stars Die 1991 - 1997" that's a good place to start, but of course doesn't cover the later heavier period.

edited October 2014
    There's three stages really.

The early finding their (his) feet/style albums....then the mid period slightly floydy stuff....then the starts to write catchy tunes but also gets heavier period.

Fretwired lists the ones in that last phase, the heavier stuff but with great songs.

"The Sky Moves Sideways" is my favourite mid period floydy one, lots of great meandering stuff like "Moonloop" and "The Sky Moves Sideways", and check out "Voyage 34" (music put over recordings of an LSD experiment).

"Signify" and "Stupid Dream" bridge the gap between the old and new sounds.

There's a great compliation of the earlier stuff, "Stars Die 1991 - 1997" that's a good place to start, but of course doesn't cover the later heavier period.

Agree with your comments ... I do tend to like the heavier stuff although I have quite a few early albums. YouTube is a good place to go and listen.

I just think some tracks like this meander ..

Fretwired said:

I love that stuff! Check out the Moonloop EP...all 40 mins

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Cheers Fretwired! Will have to keep a lookout for this next year, from the clips in the video, it sounds like something I should really like
    Fretwired said:

I love that stuff! Check out the Moonloop EP...all 40 mins

@not_the_dj .. not heard that before ..I liked it .. thanks.