New Steven Wilson album 2015

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    Saw them live a couple of times, I like Fear of a Blank Planet. The overall vibe is a bit dark, it takes some time getting used to...Steven is very talented and original. I don't care about his guitar sound though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Elx said:
     I don't care about his guitar sound though...
    Why is why he has Guthrie Govan on board ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Elx said:
    Steve Rothery agrees:

MPc: I find it really surprising that Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree actually records his guitar using a lot of Line 6 PODs considering that he plays great Bad Cat amplifiers live.

Steve: Yeah I’ve often talked with Steve [Wilson] about that in the past. I just don’t understand it. I can see it from the convenience side, but, I mean, if I had to criticize Porcupine Tree, that’s probably one of the only things that I think… you know, they take so much care over everything, and sonically their records do sound great, but I think they’d sound even better if, you know, he recorded guitar properly! (laughs)

Elx said:
    Steve Rothery agrees:

MPc: I find it really surprising that Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree actually records his guitar using a lot of Line 6 PODs considering that he plays great Bad Cat amplifiers live.

Steve: Yeah I’ve often talked with Steve [Wilson] about that in the past. I just don’t understand it. I can see it from the convenience side, but, I mean, if I had to criticize Porcupine Tree, that’s probably one of the only things that I think… you know, they take so much care over everything, and sonically their records do sound great, but I think they’d sound even better if, you know, he recorded guitar properly! (laughs)

That was only in the early days when [by his own admission] his equipment was cheap and not reliable and the band had a small budget to record. All the later stuff is real amps .. there's video of him in the studio.

edited October 2014
    Fretwired said:

Elx said:
    Steve Rothery agrees:

That was only in the early days when [by his own admission] his equipment was cheap and not reliable and the band had a small budget to record. All the later stuff is real amps .. there's video of him in the studio.
    Still makes me laugh though ;-)

"Lightbulb Sun" was the first PT album I got when it came out, and that's a great album, but it does have some shockingly bad guitar tones on it (IMO of course, I still love the album)
    Fretwired said:

Elx said:
    Steve Rothery agrees:

Still makes me laugh though ;-)

"Lightbulb Sun" was the first PT album I got when it came out, and that's a great album, but it does have some shockingly bad guitar tones on it (IMO of course, I still love the album)
    I agree .. didn't PT have an additional guitar player live? With his solo stuff I think he's decided that enough is enough and get a decent guitarist on board.

Fretwired said:

I agree .. didn't PT have an additional guitar player live? With his solo stuff I think he's decided that enough is enough and get a decent guitarist on board.
    John Wesley. Fine player and singer/writer.
    There's a good interview with him in Sound on Sound,

...I don't think it's the gear he's using, I am sure he can afford any gear he wants. It's simply his signature sound. He's a very competent engineer, I just don't like it :)
  • SW is pretty awesome but he kinda broke opeth.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Cheers Gents - Going to listen to Porcupine Tree this afternoon now. It's been a while. 
    A great live performance from 2012 ..

edited October 2014
    Great DVD that /\

I really wish they'd released a full show from the Raven tour...I missed that tour :-(
  • Tour dates for next year announced...I'm not missing this one!

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16071
    ^ wot...no Glasgow?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Front row at Wolverhampton....GET IN  :P
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Row 5 in Manchester -  I couldn't buy tickets til lunchtime, looks like a lot had sold already so I'm glad I didn't wait til after work.  I've not been to bridgewater hall before but it looks a very nice venue as well :)
  • If you are a casual Porcupine Tree fan you may find this amusing: