Guitar Teacher Needed - SE London

What's Hot
pt22pt22 Frets: 287
Hi. I did some searching and can’t seem to find a central repository of guitar teachers, but plenty of ad-hoc requests on this and the technique forum. So here’s mine:

I’m looking for a theory and guitar technique teacher for myself in SE London. I’m in Catford and the local area is Lewisham, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Honor Oak, and even Crofton Park, Brockley or Crystal Palace. Travel to mine is preferred. 

I’m 43, moderately skilled player but really just getting back into serious playing since uni, and it shows. I’d like to get back to basics. Scales, chords, timing, fretboard knowledge, etc.  throw in some old school rock covers and I’ll be a happy camper. 

Any and all help and references are appreciated. 

Thanks

Peter 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 585
    edited June 2023
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    You could try Sound Heart Music up by The Honor Oak pub, they have lessons in the studios there.

I'm also in SE6 :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • itsmikeitsmike Frets: 3
    I’m in a similar area and found Google Maps to be handy for finding nearby guitar teachers.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 287
    Bowks said:
    You could try Sound Heart Music up by The Honor Oak pub, they have lessons in the studios there.

I'm also in SE6 :-) 
    That’s not a bad shout, although I’ve only seen kids in there. I’m sure they’re better players than me anyhow :)

shame Eric Lindsay shut down. 
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Is Mr T @tugwellguitar in your search area?
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
    I also live in Catford and have lessons with Nico Tomkins. I think his website is London guitar lessons but if you search his name you'll find him.

What every player wants/needs/expects from a teacher is different, so I don't want to oversell things too much, but the ideas he's shown me in 6 months have got me further than any other teacher. He's a conscientious teacher, send voice memos between lessons to remind you what was spoken about, and is super friendly and laid back to boot.

He definitely has a focus on being a rounded musician with technique and theory fundamentals. He's not really a 'hang out and jam' kind of a teacher - it's more about discussing and exploring concepts to take away and work on. I've found a little bit of trust in his approach goes a long way.

Couple of caveats: no sure he does home visits, and I'm learning jazz, which I think is his main area - though he has pretty broad taste so I reckon he'd also help you on the classic rock front.

Hope that helps! 
    Quite a few of us here in and around SE6! @ben_wuh thank you for the recommendation. I'll reach out to him!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    I was raised in SE6 then spent 20 years in SE13. 

In stupid boring no music scene BR6 now :(
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:

In stupid boring no music scene BR6 now :(
    Please tell me what I wouldn’t know about the SE6 music scene as a new resident! 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1429
    As an Se12' er, I'm watching this thread with some interest.  A big hello to all local Fretboarders!

Nico Tomkins' approach sounds like a good fit for me and I'll bear him in mind for lessons. What sort of Jazz have you been focusing on, @ben_wuh?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    Greetings from SE3!
    edited July 2023
    pt22 said:
    soma1975 said:

In stupid boring no music scene BR6 now
    Please tell me what I wouldn’t know about the SE6 music scene as a new resident! 
    David Lee Roth once called it the Rock n Roll Capital of the world* while Van Halen played the town hall in 1978. Here he is in Lewisham on the tour bus.

* He may have said this to evert town but there's a clip of it available online somewhere....

And Eddie backstage

https://www.themightyvanhalen.net/1978/05/27/1978-lewisham-uk-lewisham-odeon/

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah darn. Only a year before I was born. So close! 

That’s a great memento of old-school Lewisham. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1429
    Wasn't David Jones' "first gig" meant to be at the Fox and Firkin or something? That may be what Dave Lee Roth was thinking of.....

*It wasn't what he was thinking of. However, his initials do spell out DLR, so that's something.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    soma1975 said:
    pt22 said:
    soma1975 said:

In stupid boring no music scene BR6 now
    David Lee Roth once called it the Rock n Roll Capital of the world* while Van Halen played the town hall in 1978. Here he is in Lewisham on the tour bus.

* He may have said this to evert town but there's a clip of it available online somewhere....

And Eddie backstage

https://www.themightyvanhalen.net/1978/05/27/1978-lewisham-uk-lewisham-odeon/
    his sound on that live bootleg just sounds like VH1 which probably goes a long way to proving they did record most of live
    edited July 2023
    GoFish said:
    Wasn't David Jones' "first gig" meant to be at the Fox and Firkin or something? That may be what Dave Lee Roth was thinking of.....

*It wasn't what he was thinking of. However, his initials do spell out DLR, so that's something.
    His first gig was in Beckenham I think. I thought it was where the O' Niels is. Bickley boy. Which is a lot closer to where I am now. 

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited July 2023
    Tolis maybe? Or Jamie Humphries, or Phil Hilborne. Or choose your most fave guitar hero and see if you can get online lessons. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
    @GoFish mainly the classic standards with a few deviations into other slightly more esoteric territory. Mainly guided by nico who has a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of the topic. Tonnes of listening suggestions! 

Seems like there's lots of us in the Catford/Bromley/Lewisham area. Dare I suggest a meet up? 
    @noisepolluter is around that area too and we have been threatening to get in a room with amps for a few years now. Someone less shit than me at organising set it up and I'll be there!

I'd be up for a beer or non-alcoholic beverage sometime. My life is upside down at the moment learning how to manage a 4 week old daughter with reflux with my 20 month old son, so anything would probably have to be after 7pm. What's central? Catford? Sydenham? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom