Oil City Pickups - new old stock wire!

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Most normal guitarists get excited about a finding a vintage instrument or perhaps a vintage pedal – but I’m that strange breed: a pickup winder … so I can get excited about all sorts of other stuff … like new ‘old stock’ wire.

Yep vintage magnet wire. A short while ago we had the opportunity of buying out the wire stocks of a winder who so to speak was ‘winding down’ (I know … so shoot me). He was winding pickups before the advent of the ‘major UK brand’ or indeed any of the newer crop of winders, and his stock included wire manufactured in the US, but also in the UK … when that was a thing!

And there's much, much more than just this :-)

So why am I excited about old wire? Well, aside from having lots more luverly wire to create stuff with, this lot includes both glorious Heavy Formvar from back when it still had the early formulation for the insulation, and also a stock of plain enamel wire that is very likely the same as early T-Tops were wound with!

Why is old wire so interesting? Well aside from it being rare, it is also less ‘perfect’ than modern wire. Computers and modern measurement and production controls have produced wire that is of super consistent diameter – whereas older wire tends to vary more over its length. This can under the right circumstances lead to very ‘open’ sounding single coils in particular.

As a bonus I got a large stock of rubber magnets perfect for Gold Foils and Rick type builds!

I’m taking a while to consider how I want to use the wire in particular … but you can expect some rater exceptional and unique (and most probably never to be repeated) pickups! 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Looking forward to the results
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Interesting. :-)

I shall be watching for pickups made with this. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Interesting. :-)

I shall be watching for pickups made with this. 
    Proper old-school :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    This is really cool 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    Ooof this is uber cool. 
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    Well I couldn't resist ... I wound myself a set of  Pre-BS 62 (1962 style) Strat pickups today ... they will most probably be tested in my number one Strat that currently has Route 66 pickups. 
    I'm a big kid really :-) 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Well I couldn't resist ... I wound myself a set of  Pre-BS 62 (1962 style) Strat pickups today ... they will most probably be tested in my number one Strat that currently has Route 66 pickups. 
    I bet they will sound glorious!

What thickness of wire did you get? Awg 42? 

I see a 0.0024mm there which is between 42 and 43 awg https://www.carreracasting.com/charts/wire-gauge

I wonder what the manufacturing tolerances are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

42awg mostly, with some 43awg roberty said:

I see a 0.0024mm there which is between 42 and 43 awg https://www.carreracasting.com/charts/wire-gauge

I wonder what the manufacturing tolerances are
    Well the Strat set meters bang on what I'd expect for a 1962 set in resistance and inductance in a vintage pickup. Will install them early next week.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    OilCityPickups said:

42awg mostly, with some 43awg
    Ooh. Unobtanium wire Broadcasters by chance?  I hope you get the chance to make a standard awg43 Alnico 5 Tele neck pickup too.

These humble spools of wire will provide jaded middled aged men more happy endings than a tax rebate/weekend in Amsterdam (I'm too old for Amsterdam).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14509
    edited July 2023
    magnet wire
    I blame lazy Americans for this erroneous and misleading expression.

Copper is non-ferrous. It has no magnetic properties. 

The wire is high purity copper in an insulation coating.

Wire is wire and magnets are magnets. Fortunately, the combination is rather useful.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    magnet wire
    I blame lazy Americans for this erroneous and misleading expression.

Copper is non-ferrous. It has no magnetic properties. 

The wire is high purity copper in an insulation coating.

Wire is wire and magnets are magnets. Fortunately, the combination is rather useful.
    I figure it this way: the Americans invented guitar pickups (based on telephone technology) therefore if they want to call it magnet wire (and they do)  - they get first dibs on the expression even if it is a bit erroneous. Though it's wire designed to be wrapped around magnets so magnet wire is not too far out of whack. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_wire 

tFB Trader

Oh my ... just tried them ... nobody gets this first set ... they're mine all mine.

Best Strat set I have ever wound/played.

Characteristics: 6k / 6k 6.3k neck to bridge. 
    First thought, clear, gutsy and incredibly loud for a vintage wind. Loads of 'air' in the sound and very touch sensitive,  My Route 66 pickups in my white Strat are more mid focused ... these have a flat to slightly scooped tone picked gently - but pretty easily get an aggressive attack with more mids coming in if you dig in hard.

Hopefully I can get around to noodling a demo track for you guys ... these are something really special.  

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Oh my ... just tried them ... nobody gets this first set ... they're mine all mine.

Will you consider sending a set out to Tomo Fujita for demoing? He's a Strat man and I am sure there is a strong Asian following. :)
    tFB Trader

Will you consider sending a set out to Tomo Fujita for demoing? He's a Strat man and I am sure there is a strong Asian following. :)
    Maybe ... had to look him up mind 

• MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    Ash, if you flick over the label on the spools, often the date of manufacture is on the underside, which always appeals to the inner geek.

tFB Trader
    Always got to satisfy the inner geek ... early 70s for most of my heavy formvar 71 and 72 which makes it the same age as my Missus :-) 

Always got to satisfy the inner geek ... early 70s for most of my heavy formvar 71 and 72 which makes it the same age as my Missus :-) 
    Did you check the underside of her label, too?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Did you check the underside of her label, too?
    Yep it said 'this way up' :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Will it just be Strat pickups in the NOS wire or do you have enough to do P90's?