Any Timmy love?

What's Hot
xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
I remember certainly back to MR days that a load of people were going crazy for Timmys, and Tims. A lot of session type guitarists use them but I hardly ever hear the name any more. Have they fallen by the wayside or do people still like them? Perhaps it's the ghastly purple that puts people off...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    I like it, mine is green though :p
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I've had a few, I kept buying into the hype even getting one of the limited editions with the different chip, but I always ended up selling them as kept coming back to the realisation they are nothing special. Paul Cochrane's customer service is superb though!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've got a Timmy and I'm making a Pedal Parts Candyman today :)

Used to be a whole Zendrive vs Timmy thing -- then people started stacking them and that debate went away :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    I imagine they must have a fairly low sale rate in some parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    Mine has seen off scores of pedals over the last few years. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They're okay, I wasn't blown away to be honest.

But most overdrive pedals don't - they're all just flavours of the same sort of sounds. I'm relatively unfussy when it comes to od tone, but the boss od-3 is genuinely excellent, so that would be my benchmark against which all others are tested. I don't remember the timmy wowing me as much.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I used one for more than a year though i've just sold it. Great pedal, doesn't have much character of its own but that's the point of a transparent overdrive, right? Nice tone shaping with the treble and bass, and the gain comes on very smooth - it doesn't really have a sweetspot, it stays dynamic and clear.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Someone had to!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Richardj;376818" said:
    Someone had to!
    I'm glad this happened.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    No purple Timmy here! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mine's white with the LM1458 chip. Supposedly a bit smoother than the regular one. I had two previous Timmy's and a Tim once, but stupidly sold them on, so I'm keeping this one!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1570
    Have a limited blue Timmy and love it. The sounds I was getting with my Tele, Timmy and J20 this morning were heavenly
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Interesting chaps, thanks. Has anyone stacked two? Or would stacking transparent overdrives be totally pointless?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9715
    This one was mine, and I sold it, and it did have some magic inside compared to others...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/P1000899.jpg

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ICBM said:
    I imagine they must have a fairly low sale rate in some parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland too.
    I don't get it? :))

I need to get one, though. Even the cheapo dano clone I have is excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    edited October 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    ICBM said:
    I don't get it? :))
    Maybe I'm wrong about Northern Ireland, I just assumed it was the same since so much else is!

If it helps, RaymondLin's one might be particularly risky ;).

Ah - checked: the NI translation is Taig.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    LOL

Yeah I've never heard "Tim" or "Timmy" used like that here. Heard a lot of other ones, though :))
  • The bass and treble knobs on my Timmy are backwards (as in you cut by rolling clockwise, and boost by turning anti clockwise)- wtf is this normal?

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1570
    Yes! They are cut knobs. Of course as you raise the gain the dynamic of the pedal changes so you might find that you need to cut treble or bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha my mind is blown...