Any Timmy love?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have a Tim that I think may have been @not_the_DJ s. To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed by it at first. It sounded a bit dull. It was only when I turned the volume up on my amp to band levels that it really showed what all the hype was about. A very classy sounding bit of kit when wound up a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2992
    tFB Trader
    I like mine (surf green), can't find much use for it alone but it's ace at the end of the chain because just about everything stacks well into it, and the tone controls are ace. Zen -> Timmy is a great lead sound. Also use it to simulate a slightly dirty amp for running fuzz into, at home with a clean amp. Works as tone shaper with fuzz and o/d, or as second sound combo or boost. Doesn't add much of any noise. So he stays while others change around.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    What are they like alone then?
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    I have the Chinese Timmy clone by Caline and it's good.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2992
    tFB Trader
    To me Hymnal they're OK lower-gain drives but I like drives for the colour & character they add. The transparency thing is great as a stacker or a boost though. Pushing a nice amp, it's also good. On it's own I find the bass notes can get soft & loose quite quickly so the bass control needs twiddling. Very much a keeper though for me because it's so great stacked.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1570

If you have a good amp and you are happy with it's base tones then a transparent OD like the Timmy is a great way to go as it preserves the overall tonal flavour. 

If your amp is a bit lacking tonally then the Timmy would not be the best pedal as a main OD, although it will still be an asset as a boost or stacker with something else.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ^ Yeah. I've seen people on TGP say the Timmy isn't good for high gain, and it's my favourite always-on (or nearly always-on) boost for my high gain amps (or at least the cheapo danelectro clone I have is).

For adjusting the tone of the amp more, or doing the tubescreamer/SD1 midboost/bass cut/compression thing, though, there are better options. It just depends on what you want. I think my dano timmy stacks pretty well with a TS/SD1, too.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited October 2014
    Dave_Mc said: ^ Yeah. I've seen people on TGP say the Timmy isn't good for high gain, and it's my favourite always-on (or nearly always-on) boost for my high gain amps (or at least the cheapo danelectro clone I have is).
    I've always found it kinda funny when people buy a
    drive pedal, use it as a clean boost, then complain that their clean boost isn't tranparent enough... which is probably because, wait for it, it is a drive pedal.

I had the Dano CC TOD V1 which was a nice sound, ugly as sin though, so tried to rehouse and cocked it up

I have looked at timmys ever since, but never found myself pulling the trigger
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ LOL

Yeah it doesn't look amazing, and the knobs on the back are a pain. I haven't even considered rehousing it as I know I'd mess it up. :))

I tried to buy a real timmy there a while back but my antivirus messed me about and didn't let the order go through. By the time I realised that was the problem, it had sold out. :)) I'll get one eventually, I'm sure.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ LOL

Yeah it doesn't look amazing, and the knobs on the back are a pain. I haven't even considered rehousing it as I know I'd mess it up. :))

I tried to buy a real timmy there a while back but my antivirus messed me about and didn't let the order go through. By the time I realised that was the problem, it had sold out. :)) I'll get one eventually, I'm sure.

Humbucker music is where i got mine, just sign up for notification, they are usually enough there to sell for a couple of days.
    Thanks. I know there are a few dealers... Prymaxe is one but they're normally sold out.

How much was postage to the UK, just out of interest (to saving me having to do 90% of the order to check! :)) ). The prices are normally the same everywhere, postage is where they get you...
    edited October 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    Thanks. I know there are a few dealers... Prymaxe is one but they're normally sold out.

How much was postage to the UK, just out of interest (to saving me having to do 90% of the order to check! :)) ). The prices are normally the same everywhere, postage is where they get you...

Prymaxe stuff never gets caught by customs for me...

Humbucker got caught, but even then, after everything it came to like £100 or £110?.  Basically what the secondhand prices is I've seen on the forum !  No brainer really.

Not that worried about customs, I'd rather pay it. Just don't want to be 95% through the order and have entered all my details and then find that postage is like $50 or something daft like that :)) IIRC it was ~$16 on Prymaxe (I think, though it could have changed since that was a few months ago).
    I have two limited edition colours coming over from the states. I bought two to test stacking them but suspect I'll only keep one. In which case there will be a brand new LE timmy for sale... 

now i think about it I really didn't need two but the colours were so cool :) 
    Hymnal said:
    I have two limited edition colours coming over from the states. I bought two to test stacking them but suspect I'll only keep one. In which case there will be a brand new LE timmy for sale... 

now i think about it I really didn't need two but the colours were so cool :) 

What colours are they?
    Orange with white knobs and blue sparkle with white knobs :) 

;)
    Now you need a green one :p
    Noooo, I NEED a warped vinyl haha. My list is too long!