Advice and opinions on Eastman guitars?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
Since seeing James Dean Bradfield playing an Eastman Juliet this summer, I've been hankering to try an Eastman. 

The Juliet is perhaps the right guitar for me at the wrong time as I really want either a LP junior style guitar or a semi acoustic with a bigsby (very specific I know!). So the Eastman 55 and the T486B might be options. Or I just might go for the Juliet (though its a bit outside my budget).

But just wondering if there are any views and opinions out there on Eastman guitars? A quick search showed a lot of FS posts, so I don't know if that's a bad sign. But looking for something different compared to the usual Gibson and Fender purchases.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sxardsxard Frets: 36
    Eastman guitars are great in my experience. Very well made, relatively light, and have a great feel once I have them set up how I like. I've got an SB59, which after a pickup change to Monty's PAFs has completely satiated any GAS I had for other Les Paul style guitars and an E20-OM acoustic that's also very good. I've also had a T59V that I regret selling. I think there are usually some available second hand because they've been making and selling quite a few over the past decade+, and often chances to pick up a bargain as a result.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3340
    I own an sb59 which I swapped the pickups for Fletcher low wound unpotted elysiums. The only les Paul types I have played that were better imo, were a fantastic Ryder and a Custom shop that was 4-5 times the price. It’s a great guitar within my budget. I also have a p90 equipped Juliet, seriously just do it -stunning instrument! I’ve also owned an T59V and an E1OM acoustic, both were great guitars that would still be here if it wasn’t for gas. I am yet to play a bad Eastman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23843
    I spent quite a lot of time a while ago reading and watching reviews of Eastman and Maybach guitars, as to my mind they seem to be fairly similar, well-regarded, reasonably-priced Gibson alternatives. Nothing about the features or construction details seemed to definitively make one better than the other.

There didn't seem to be any consensus at all, some reviewers were strongly in favour of Eastman, others very much preferred Maybach.  Some ranked them pretty much equally.

I concluded that the only way to know would be to actually try them, but I still haven't.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 355
    Never tried one but there’s a lovely LP Jr style one for sale in the classifieds that I keep looking at  :)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Two words.
    Buy. Used.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7911
    I love them
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9642
    Had the 335 style and lp style with the worn finish. Both lovely guitars with stellar pickups. The 335 style is the best 335 a like I’ve ever played, but of course, it has the wrong name on the headstock 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Great guitars. I have the SB55 DC and SC. Both are super light and the Lollar P90s are excellent. I also have an E1SS CLA LTD acoustic, which is their take on a Gibson J45. Another fine instrument.   
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4266
    Longterm E10SS owner here - I love it, it even killed my GAS for an Atkin too!

I’ve played a bunch of their electrics as well and would happily own any of them - they’re one of the few brands I would risk buying unseen.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    Sound and feel of the SB59 and T59 close to Gibson CS in my experience.
    Philly_Q said:
    I spent quite a lot of time a while ago reading and watching reviews of Eastman and Maybach guitars, as to my mind they seem to be fairly similar, well-regarded, reasonably-priced Gibson alternatives. Nothing about the features or construction details seemed to definitively make one better than the other.

There didn't seem to be any consensus at all, some reviewers were strongly in favour of Eastman, others very much preferred Maybach.  Some ranked them pretty much equally.

I concluded that the only way to know would be to actually try them, but I still haven't.
    A valid reference to Maybach there. I also have a Maybach and will definitely buy another. If I wanted something to feel like a vintage Gibson I’d go Maybach (I want one of their 335 types next), if I am happy to have something slightly different but great I’d go Eastman.
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    I have a very nice Eastman archtop (ES-175 style). Can’t fault construction incl fretwork and stock pickups are good.

Im still hankering after a Gibson or Benedetto archtop though. I suspect if I’d gone for an Eastman Les Paul or es-335 I’d also be hankering after the Gibson equivalent. Therein lies the rub.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1467
    If they made a strat, id buy it blind as soon as i could get my hands on one. 
    All handcrafted, beautifully finished, good consistency. Their violins have the same rep - aka concert level quality for reasonable money.

Have an SB59 (non v version) after looking for a lifer les paul when funds were there last year. At retail prices, even now, well worth the money.  The v versions are at gibbo CS level no doubt about it. Only difference to a musician is about £4k

They dont come set up that well imho, so read the specs of setup, might be up peoples street and is pretty normal / plenty of (bone) nut to play with, if action needs lowering. Just the necks i think on sb59 anyway people may thing are a bit thick/high shoulders. But they all differ and not that difficult to solve for a player. Could be like that on other models.

My SB59 is best bang for buck double humbucker guitar ive ever played. Sounds better than the 1979 gibbo les paul custom i owned, but does not play better. Sounds better than by bros custom shop les paul custom (not r8/9 etc) and  plays as well.

Deffo worth trying one off here imho for a sell on at little/no loss if you dont like it.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    edited July 2023
    Philly_Q said:

A valid reference to Maybach there. I also have a Maybach and will definitely buy another. If I wanted something to feel like a vintage Gibson I’d go Maybach (I want one of their 335 types next), if I am happy to have something slightly different but great I’d go Eastman.
    FWIW I tried both Maybach and Eastman guitars together at Project Music last year and ultimately ordered a Maybach. I was going purely on neck profile, it just felt more like a vintage Gibson guitar to me and that was what I was looking for. I am interested in Eastman guitars again now. The Eastmans have a more modern feel to them IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Oh and there's absolutely no way I am paying the Gibson tax again. I have a few nice Gibsons but I find smaller brands more interesting these days, and that's before getting into price/quality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been gassing for an Eastman for ages but that extra nut width just puts me off. Really wish they were standard width.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    I’ve been gassing for an Eastman for ages but that extra nut width just puts me off. Really wish they were standard width.
    I didn’t notice it, I had a T59. It played great. I only sold it because I had a financial reason, it was one of the best guitars I’ve ever had.
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:

FWIW I tried both Maybach and Eastman guitars together at Project Music last year and ultimately ordered a Maybach. I was going purely on neck profile, it just felt more like a vintage Gibson guitar to me and that was what I was looking for. I am interested in Eastman guitars again now. The Eastmans have a more modern feel to them IMO

Absolutely agree. One of the things I have found over the last 6 years is I have had too many Gibsons and I am yet to keep one of them. I think one of the problems is that I have been lucky enough to play a few vintage Gibson guitars that were utterly incredible, but were totally out of my financial reach. These then ruined every Gibson I purchased as they were never as good. The Maybach I own has the feel that I was looking for.  
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    I bought an Eastman 805ce back when they first appeared in the U.K. Based on that experience I’d say they were both overrated and overpriced. Don’t ignore brands such as Ibanez who make fine guitars in both China and Japan.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23843
    roberty said:
    Philly_Q said:

That's interesting, I'd have guessed (without trying them) that Eastman might be the more vintage-feeling, but perhaps that's just because the varnish finishes give them a sort of antique look!  Of course they do have some more unique/modern models like the Juliet.  If I ever buy either it will most likely come down to neck profiles and overall feel.