WSA: Amplify my Helix

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Laney lfr-112 for me too 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4415
    Not with a Helix, but I’m enjoying the Powerstage 170 into a Thiele cab to amplify my Revival Drive Hor Rod. Fan is all but inaudible and having an EQ on the power amp is super useful.
  • Not a Helix user but I normally run my Kemper through studio monitors (The Yamaha HS8's). I have a bit of a luxury I can turn them up quite loud and it sounds great. Having said that I plugged into my 1x12 cab for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I missed how good moving air sounds through a speaker cabinet!
    I ran my first Helix into HS7s and, while that was a great setup, it was drastically different from bypassing the cab modelling and running into a ‘real’ one. After trying it, I never went back to monitors or an FRFR rig!

I’ve not tried a HX into the L6 PowerCab, but I imagine that would be a pretty impressive combination too.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    I like the Powercab, I'd like to experience it again but they are Megabucks. Why line 6 haven't done more with the power can speaker emulation in that, I have no idea
  • willowillo Frets: 399
    I play my Helix in 4 situations (home practice, garage rehearsal, studio rehearsal and live) and gave this lots of thought recently.

I went for the Headrush FR108 for live and at the moment it's doing double duty at home. Home will eventually be monitors, like the Kali's.

The Headrush is good. It was fashionable, then it wasn't, but in reality the sound is good if you raise it off the ground and it's super portable and cheap so perfect for my live monitoring needs. But for home use, the most you'll use is about 10% of the available power.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2355
    edited August 2023
    willo said:
    I play my Helix in 4 situations (home practice, garage rehearsal, studio rehearsal and live) and gave this lots of thought recently.

I went for the Headrush FR108 for live and at the moment it's doing double duty at home. Home will eventually be monitors, like the Kali's.

The Headrush is good. It was fashionable, then it wasn't, but in reality the sound is good if you raise it off the ground and it's super portable and cheap so perfect for my live monitoring needs. But for home use, the most you'll use is about 10% of the available power.
    I bought one of the Headrush FR cabs - the 112 - when they were crazy cheap on Amazon. I was shocked at the overall build quality etc (IN A GOOD WAY!)

I've still not used it live - I should try it asap.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2185
    I run into the effects loop of a peavey studio amp.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a Helix user but I normally run my Kemper through studio monitors (The Yamaha HS8's). I have a bit of a luxury I can turn them up quite loud and it sounds great. Having said that I plugged into my 1x12 cab for the first time in 2 years yesterday and I missed how good moving air sounds through a speaker cabinet!
    I ran my first Helix into HS7s and, while that was a great setup, it was drastically different from bypassing the cab modelling and running into a ‘real’ one. After trying it, I never went back to monitors or an FRFR rig!

I’ve not tried a HX into the L6 PowerCab, but I imagine that would be a pretty impressive combination too.
    Yeah it took me ages to get used to the monitor sound with a cab sim. I started to like it and as I use in ears too it was my default but just using the cab again the other day sounded so good. Low end and body. Felt natural and real to me so I may have to go back to using it! I wonder if they make any isocab boxes for it go inside....
  • I have a couple of power amps - an EHX 5mm and Laney Loudpedal.

But I actually get my best sound using my HX Stomp into the effects loop return on my Diesel VH4 Mini. Those little mini amp heads are great little power amps for home.

• ^ This is true! I did the same with my VH Mini(/Micro?) too - just be aware the volume is fixed with those to 100%, so you have to change the master level from the HX itself.
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 79
    Get a Catalyst.  Seriously. 

I’ve had a Powercab+ and a Laney LFR112, the catalyst is as good as if not better using the power amp in feature. Not a bad sounding amp either. 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    Bats_ said:

I’ve had a Powercab+ and a Laney LFR112, the catalyst is as good as if not better using the power amp in feature. Not a bad sounding amp either. 

How are you using the catalyst and the helix?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4177
    edited August 2023
    ^ This is true! I did the same with my VH Mini(/Micro?) too - just be aware the volume is fixed with those to 100%, so you have to change the master level from the HX itself.
    Yes very important to set the HX Stomp master volume first or you're in for a nasty surprise.

Jetfire said:
    Bats_ said:

How are you using the catalyst and the helix?
    The Catalyst has a mode switch to effectively turn it in to a powered speaker. 

Disable the cab/IR and off you go. 

Sounds great.  
  • @Bats_ does that bypass the master vol too, or does that still work on the output levels?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    I have a Pod Go and put that through some 5w monitor speakers at home.  it would need a fuller PA for live use but the monitors work well at home

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1005
    Not quite the same use case but I run an HX FX into a Blackstar Amped 1. 

I've been running the xlr out of the amped1 into one of these. It's a monitor speaker:
    HH Electronics HPX108 Active 8" PA Speaker | PMT Online

Sounds incredible both as my main speaker at home and as a monitor for my rig at gigs. Way better than the £100 price tag would suggest. 
    @Bats_ does that bypass the master vol too, or does that still work on the output levels?
    Not sure what you mean here but the master on the amp acts as you would expect, turn it up and it gets louder. 

The rest of the amp is bypassed and the modeller or whatever you plug in to it goes straight to the power section. 

I think John Cordy did a good video on this.