Let's make a Trainwreck amp cabinet in London Plane (not walnut as originally thought)

What's Hot
NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding
Last year I bought a Ceriatone Expression head which is a clone of a Trainwreck Express. It's amazing, never have I ever played an amp that is so touch sensitive, you can go from beautiful cleans to JCM800 gain with just your volume knob and picking hand. I was in love. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/234215/i-bought-a-trainwreck-express-clone-and-wowsers#latest

Anyway the head came in less than perfect old amp shell (see link above) that had the front control panel facing the ceiling, which made accessing the rear panel a nightmare! So I decided to build a amp cabinet. Well me and a buddy did. 

When it comes to wood working I have all the ideas but none of the knowhow on how to get there but my buddy Andy does and he has a workshop. Only issue is I'm about an hour from him and I only get Monday evenings every other week to make progress. Sure he could have made it by now had I said get on and do it but I wanted to be part of the process, especially as he was doing this as a favour/friend experience. Now Andy has made lots of furniture and even the odd guitar body and neck generally working in softer woods like pine so this was going to be new ground for both of us. 

Here is what we are aiming for! 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    edited September 2023
    First port of call was get wood! 

Had a good look around to see what was around on gumtree, FB marketplace and local sawmills for a good hardwood. 

Stumbled across this old (not sure how old) walnut London Plane mantle piece with live edge on FB marketplace which looked great. Did me Del Boy haggling and got it for £70 which from what I can see is a bargain! Off to the workshop it went! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Wow, nice wood!  Ooooerrr!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2511
    Got a similar cab for my TC15 head made from Pau Ferro/Bolivian rosewood, love the look. Now I fancy a trainwreck clone!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:
    Got a similar cab for my TC15 head made from Pau Ferro/Bolivian rosewood, love the look. Now I fancy a trainwreck clone!

Wowsers, thanks for sharing. What a beauty! 

The Trainwreck circuit is something special! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Before attempting chopping up the walnut we decided to use some cheap pine (previously a broken toy box) and make a proof model.  Went well though it was a little short in height to enable valve removal without removing the amp from the cabinet. So we adjusted the design to suit.

Pleasantly surprised to find some old Mullard preamp valves and Sovtek EL34's in there. 

We then created a slab cut plan for the walnut. The plan was to slice it into small slats that would be workable with Andy's table saw and then glue them together. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2023
    We started off by cutting the live edge off and putting that aside for a future project (thinking epoxy table of sorts?). Then sliced the remaining walnut into slats that we could work with. Then as per the plan we glued the slats together to give 3 large pieces of workable walnut. Next job was to plain and sand it flat. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Lovely job.  I built a 50W Trainwreck Express during lockdown using the info and layouts over at Ampgarage - and man are they amazing amps.  In the end I installed a post phase inverter master vol and a vox-style cut control which means i can now play the amp in the house without getting arrested. :o  

Opened up in a studio or rehearsal room though its an absolute beast.   Mines housed in an old ProAmp headshell but now youre making me think I really ought to buy some walnut and put into something Ken Fischer would approve of.   

Have you checked out all of Glen Kuykedal’s TW videos? Some amazing tones there - especially the clip with the SG.   

Good luck with the rest of the headshell build - i bet it will be superb. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28531
    Those pictures with the table saw give me the screaming heebie-jeebies. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I identified (through the magical powers of the internet) the front panel is zebrawood or zebrano wood (see the first photo in this thread of what we are aiming for). So I found a lovely piece from Evilbay which we will cut to veneer thickness (or thinnest) when we get to that stage. Oooooh look at that grain. 

Now it's been plained flat and sanded, it's time to cut it to size. 

Then we strapped it together to make sure the amp fitted in it, and it did!! Happy days. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimoSimo Frets: 44
    Looking good. Although that's definitely not Walnut.. judging by the end grain and fleck pattern on the quarter sawn pieces, I'd say it's likely Beech.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sporky said:
    Those pictures with the table saw give me the screaming heebie-jeebies. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Simo said:
    Looking good. Although that's definitely not Walnut.. judging by the end grain and fleck pattern on the quarter sawn pieces, I'd say it's likely Beech.
    Looks like London plane to me
  • SimoSimo Frets: 44
    elstoof said:
    Simo said:

Yep, could well be. Beech does vary in colour but after taking a second look at the glue up photo, the colour does look more LP like.
  • Simo said:
    elstoof said:
    Simo said:

Yep, could well be. Beech does vary in colour but after taking a second look at the glue up photo, the colour does look more LP like.
    Oh wow. It was sold to me as walnut but looking up London Plane wood I totally agree.  Thank you.

How would you finish it? Wood oil? 
    Some sort of oil would let you touch up any inevitable scratches. Osmo is good, don’t think there’s much between the usual danish, tru-oil etc. pure tung oil is nice if you aren’t in a rush
  • elstoof said:
    Some sort of oil would let you touch up any inevitable scratches. Osmo is good, don’t think there’s much between the usual danish, tru-oil etc. pure tung oil is nice if you aren’t in a rush
    Brilliant, thank you.
  • @Rabs uses London Plane a lot for his builds.  Suspect he would be the man in the know.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader
    Hello...

Well actually I think it looks more like Beech than Plane..  Hard to tell from those pics. Cant quite get close enough...

Its usually easy to tell. Beech has very small and tight grain like this...
    Panel Steamed Beech pear tinted - Prestige dOberflex  Oberflex

When it is quarter sawn it can have fleking which does look quite similar to the lace on London Plane like this
    3x3x12 Kiln Dried Beech Wood Spindle Turning Blank  Got Wood LLC

As for finishing. Well its like any other wood. Use what you want. Tru Oil has an extra hardener in it than other oils so is quite a good finish if you want a bit more resistance. Theres a good video about that

Ug how life seems to be getting in the way of getting this finished but made some progress since the last update -

So the head cab is now glued together which is a great milestone to get to.  Routed out the front panel so the transformer doesn't touch it. 

We've cut the beeding and glued and clamped it ready to be rolled. 

Made a jig for the jig (I call that jiggling!  :)  ) ready for us to cut the zebra wood into 3 pieces of veneer for the front panel.

Lots still to do!  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 989
    Love the look of those Trainwreck amps, they are beautiful.

Enjoyed watching Pete Thorn play through a Trainwreck Liverpool model (in July 2021) this evening

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom