Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Andertons/Victory

What's Hot
18910111214»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Gilly said:
    Sassafras said:
    Gulliver said:

…it’s a bit like Curry’s salesman pushing X brand TV because he gets a higher commission from those.  It’s not like he tells you his commission.

FYI - there are (or at least used to be) codes on the shelf-edge labels in Currys that tells you and staff which items have higher commission. I've not been to a Currys for years and my friends who worked their have all now left - but there was a time where you could see which commission tier any item was in.  Yes, you had to know what you were looking for - but at least it was there.

Although I understand your point is that they wouldn't advertise that commission level to a customer - i just thought it was an interesting thing to note.  

That's another one KDH might waste his time investigating like a pound shop Jessica Fletcher.
    And yet 13 pages later here you still are.

Of course, it's fuckin hilarious!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I've ordered 5 Victory amps just to spite KDH.
    That's pretty exciting!

Which ones did you go for? I imagine that I'd like The Copper Deluxe - the one with a spring reverb 
  • This is ridiculous.

Andertons make videos of products they stock. They do not review gear, they demo it. They only demo what they sell and they want you to buy all of it. The video are there to promote the shop and shop stock and build a bigger shopper base.

You have to approach all of their videos assuming it's a sales pitch, nothing more.

Whether he owns a stake in any of the companies producing the products he stocks, is pretty much irrelevant - unless you happen to think his videos are impartial reviews. in which case, you are a nutter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Nikc said:
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:

Compare that to Peach’s (i mention them as John seemingly took exception to stocking Victory amps) increasingly insular view of the world, still need to book appointments as if we were in Covid times, video content went mute a while ago and since Jack left we don’t even get to see players head! 

John is a proper player with some decent chops and has a very fine collection. He’s also very hands on in terms of the business so the boutique stuff they stock (and I’d still put victory in that category when they’re charging £2300 for a v40) is stuff he believes in.

From what I understand, the reason for the booking is they feel it works. I’ve been in to try since Covid and you get the pleasure of being able to play gear without any rush or the world looking on. Compare to andertons where you’re lucky to bag a demo room. If you’re serious about making a purchase, calling peach to arrange to come in doesn’t seem like a huge deal and it means it doesn’t interfere with their online operation.
    I went to Andertons recently on what turned out to be a very busy Thursday  - I had a demo room all to myself no pressure and they let me help myself to guitars, I even got a nice playing comment from someone :) - really helpful staff and a decent deal struck on the day - I couldn't ask for more. If/when I need some more/other equipment I'll go back without any hesitation. 
    I went to Anderton’s recently on what turned out to be a very quiet Friday - I got a lecture on the ‘million pound room’, how I couldn’t touch anything without asking permission, and how expensive the CS shop room salesman’s guitar was, and why expensive guitars were better than £1k guitars you sell for £500. I won’t be back. 
    And there's your mistake - should've gone on a busy day ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    Has anyone mentioned Chappers yet?….. B)
  • So 2017 Les Paul Custom Shop R8, anyone buy one?

Joking aide how is this thread still going?

Lee has explained why he didn’t disclose his involvement for the last decade. “Legitimate reasons” apparently.  

Going forward he will advise he is an co owner of the brand every time he is pushing it online. Fin. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    This is ridiculous.

Andertons make videos of products they stock. They do not review gear, they demo it. They only demo what they sell and they want you to buy all of it. The video are there to promote the shop and shop stock and build a bigger shopper base.

You have to approach all of their videos assuming it's a sales pitch, nothing more.

Whether he owns a stake in any of the companies producing the products he stocks, is pretty much irrelevant - unless you happen to think his videos are impartial reviews. in which case, you are a nutter.

I’d be interested to know if anyone believes Andertons brainwashed people into buying a Victory amp or if they themselves bought one based on a blindfold test. Because they would definitely belong in the “nutter” category!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am now considering buying a Victory amplifier :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fwiw I don’t use Andertons because their policies for international orders are shockingly poor. But I don’t make videos moaning about it, I just get on with my life.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Fwiw I don’t use Andertons because their policies for international orders are shockingly poor. But I don’t make videos moaning about it, I just get on with my life.  
    I should make a video about American/Japanese stores that do not ship overseas and I have to resort to a forwarding service  ;)
  • Sassafras said:

That's another one KDH might waste his time investigating like a pound shop Jessica Fletcher.
    I prefer to think of him as more of a Roger Cook type figure?  =)
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 890
    elstoof said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Anyone got a link to one of these videos where they've suggested to people they should buy a Victory instead of something else they stock? 
    https://youtu.be/RUPBvX8olAw?si=Wdxvw913BsZzsVWT

Skip to 45 minutes and all three explain the reasons why they would buy the Victory over the Fender and the Milkman, closer to a review than a demo

Just to say up front that I don't have a real problem with this whole issue.  Victory amps seem good and what I've learned recently hasn't made me think less of them.  It's just that I've learned something about Lee Anderton that I'm sure he wishes had never come to light in quite this way.  After watching the end of that three-amp shootout I was left wondering where Mick fitted into the whole thing, and found at the 8th minute he says "I have to declare an interest here given that I did the video for Victory for the V40 Deluxe".  His reputation remains fully intact.  However, Lee remains quiet - should he have said something at that ideal moment?

I note that they've now added a paragraph in the description of the video clarifying Lee Anderton's personal interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorg said:

I note that they've now added a paragraph in the description of the video clarifying Lee Anderton's personal interest.
    There's a feature on YouTube to change descriptions en masse so it's probably on all their videos.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    I loved it when Lee said "I wanna say thank you to KDH for bringing this up and I hope things are a bit clearer now", referring to the video he obviously wished KDH never made. Such an English thing to do, say "thank you" when in fact you're probably thinking "look what you have done, you annoying twat" :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "That uppidy paddy needs to get back in his box"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Elx said:
    I loved it when Lee said "I wanna say thank you to KDH for bringing this up and I hope things are a bit clearer now", referring to the video he obviously wished KDH never made. Such an English thing to do, say "thank you" when in fact you're probably thinking "look what you have done, you annoying twat" :)
    It's mostly a way of not looking like a dick on social media IMO. Quietly taking the issue around the back with a shotgun, "going for a little walk"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At least Lee handled things more professionally than Rob has in the past. Absolute car crash that was.