Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists with experience of fixing washing machines

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

My money is on a blockage - have another look. Think they normally just fill with water pressure, the pump is used to drain.

My machine is over 15 years old and the only money it has spent on it is new carbon brushes (£8), although the pump sticks sometimes, needs a wee kick to encourage it to start draining.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

VimFuego said:
     I guess I'll have to watch a whole cycle with a multi-meter attached to the solenoid to see if it gets a signal and fails to open.

joy

how the long winter months must fly by in the Decker household. :D
    This is a man with far too much time on his hands! My machine is 12-14 years old drill is chuck in clothes chuck in the condom which has soap in it turn dial to 4 go to pub for an hour or so then take wet clothes out the following day or the next. 
    Sounds galmouos

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    "Galmouos"?

Have you been on the proper real ale, instead of that alcohol-free shite?

Curses!!! F'king spell chequer

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    EricTheWeary;379656" said:
    Lowest form of intervention would be to remove and degunk the tray you put powder and conditioner in and run a couple of empty loads before using conditioner again. The next stage would be to call my brother in law Andy.
    Handy Andy?
  • valve change
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • valve change
    and re-bias
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I hope Decker just gets on and does the job, so this doesn't turn into one of those long-running prevarication sagas.

• maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Try the nozzles above the soap / conditioner tray. Spray them with Vikal or Mr Muscle limescale destroyer leave to work for five mins and give them a good scrub with a stiff plastic brush. Run a boil wash with nothing in it. I have had the same difficulty a few times, this tends to work.
    edited October 2014

Didn't get to it last night as it was my turn to walk the dog, 9pm is too late to start washing mc faff-ification. So cleaned my tackle* instead.

* fishing tackle, not meat and two veg.**

** penis, not actual meat and vegetables

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Washing machine still not working properly. Its ok though as the dishwasher has now started playing up too. It gets stuck in the cycle and runs until you open the door and get your feet. wet

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

It's either the 4Lb hammer or the pub.

Your choice Decker, your choice.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

It gets stuck in the cycle and runs until you open the door and get your feet wet

I never knew VW made dishwashers.

what!!!!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yeah Chilli, Decker's right (for a change) Th VW wouldn't have got that far before breaking down.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12431
    Blood softener? Southern ponces. Up here we throw a bag of grit in with the wash
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24462
    edited October 2014
    Find out when the softener is supposed to be flushed into the machine during the cycle (I think it's near the end, maybe in the rinse?).  Pull open the detergent drawer and look to see if any water at all is coming out of the nozzles in the roof of the detergent drawer cavity.  This will establish if you're looking at a blockage or a failure of the solenoid / associated circuitry.  My money is on the solenoid valve either seized up or gone open-circuit.  I think a blockage is less likely.

Either way, it won't hurt to get a nail brush / toothbrush and poke the bristles up into the water nozzles to clean them out.

If doing just that doesn't cure it, you're going to have to take the lid off (obviously unplug it first - I forgot once and had a shock - it wasn't the electricity that hurt, it was the cuts I suffered when my arm involuntarily shot backwards !).

Disconnect the correct hose from the solenoid end and blow down it to check it's clear (it's probably going to be smaller than the others).  Then disconnect the two wires off the solenoid and check the winding resistance of the solenoid with a multimeter.  Open circuit or zero ohms means it's buggered.  Check (if you can, some are sealed units) whether the valve part of it isn't seized.  Next, I'd run the machine with the multimeter leads alligator-clipped (not held by hand !) to the solenoid wires and check whether 240V appears across them at the appropriate time in the cycle.  If not, it's likely the controller board is kaput.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • vizviz Frets: 10736
    Sock in the outlet pipe. So not pumping water out.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Find out when the softener is supposed to be flushed into the machine during the cycle (I think it's near the end, maybe in the rinse?).  Pull open the detergent drawer and look to see if any water at all is coming out of the nozzles in the roof of the detergent drawer cavity.  This will establish if you're looking at a blockage or a failure of the solenoid / associated circuitry.  My money is on the solenoid valve either seized up or gone open-circuit.  I think a blockage is less likely.

Either way, it won't hurt to get a nail brush / toothbrush and poke the bristles up into the water nozzles to clean them out.

If doing just that doesn't cure it, you're going to have to take the lid off (obviously unplug it first - I forgot once and had a shock - it wasn't the electricity that hurt, it was the cuts I suffered when my arm involuntarily shot backwards !).

Disconnect the correct hose from the solenoid end and blow down it to check it's clear (it's probably going to be smaller than the others).  Then disconnect the two wires off the solenoid and check the winding resistance of the solenoid with a multimeter.  Open circuit or zero ohms means it's buggered.  Check (if you can, some are sealed units) whether the valve part of it isn't seized.  Next, I'd run the machine with the multimeter leads alligator-clipped (not held by hand !) to the solenoid wires and check whether 240V appears across them at the appropriate time in the cycle.  If not, it's likely the controller board is kaput.

Don't encourage Decker, it'll all end in tears once he gets the back off it, I just know it will.

Ha ha!!!! Fixed it with only minor blood loss. Lots and lots of goo in the pipes. Dishwasher is busted heater element I think, so that will be £30 ish. Oh and for the haters ... The van broke down. Electrics and spark issues. New HT leads and plugs for starters as they are a couple years old.