Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebola .... game on.

What's Hot

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Hertz32 said:
    Col_Decker;381015" said:
    my tin-foil hat wearing mate believes that Ebola (and HIV) are man made viruses mixed with alien DNA, spread via chem-trails to reduce the worlds population prior to the roll out of the New World Order.  ahh I wish I'd made that up, but he does think that. Thick Twat.
    Did you not know that? We only cured Polio to convince everyone Big Pharma was on their side, really its just a big consiracy to fleece everyone of their cash.

Nah you've got mixed up with his Fluoride theory. In that the fluoride in our water is there to crystallise the penial gland in our brain to make us more easy to control via telepathy .... from the giant underground lizards who secretly rule our world.

wow

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Decker, does you friend have a history of mental illness?

Or drug taking?

For a change I'm NOT taking the piss.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Without meaning to de-rail the thread ... but no. He did have a head injury about 6 years ago, but in the last 12 months he's really lost it. Posts about 5 things a day on thefacebook. His facebook page would be a life's work for a psychologist.

I'll pm you his name, you'll be very scared.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited October 2014
    @axisus, what's your job involve?

Phil, unless the person before you was symptomatic, got blood or vomit or something all over the glass and then they didn't wash it you'd be unlikely to catch ebola down the pub.

It's actually not a difficult disease to control in small outbreaks. Provided you had no open wounds, you could get ebola - infected blood all over your bare hands and be absolutely fine provided you didn't rub your eyes or nose or whatever and washed up thoroughly afterwards (with normal soap too). This isn't a small outbreak though, and the main reason it isn't is because they didn't follow basic hygeine when it was.
    Use Your Brian
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    edited October 2014

Hungrymark beat me to it. I'm not in medicine, but ended up listening to lots of Radio 4 on a long journey the other day. (This seems to be the only unbiased and accurate reporting the BBC does these days....!).

Basically, its not a hardy virus and will not survive on surfaces particularly long (I think they said 48 hours max, which seems quite long to me, but apparently not!). Normal soap kills the virus. You can only get it through transmission from blood, vomit or human waste. It can be transmitted through sweat, but in the very latter stages of infection when the person infected will not be anywhere public like the gym, bus or other normal activity.

The reason it is spreading is because families in the infected zones are largely in denial that its Ebola killing their loved one and they fear the isolation units set up to combat infection. Poor hygiene, mixed with burial rituals result in easy cross-contamination in their society. They are working on a couple of vaccines that are undergoing clinical trials, with the fist one potentially being available around Christmas. It'll likely be given to health care staff initially.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074

Without meaning to de-rail the thread ... but no. He did have a head injury about 6 years ago, but in the last 12 months he's really lost it. Posts about 5 things a day on thefacebook. His facebook page would be a life's work for a psychologist.

I'll pm you his name, you'll be very scared.

Nigel Farage again?

That man gets everywhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    @axisus, what's your job involve?
    I just do computer graphics actually! 10,000 of my Ebola leaflets and a few hundred of my big posters have just gone out to UK airports. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    mike_l said:

Or drug taking?

What's the matter with you, Mike? They're folkies, OK?

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    breakstuff;381049" said:
    Let's see how long it takes to come up with a vaccine now it's hit American and European soil.
    They've been working on an ebola vaccine for years, and recently (before the current outbreak) got some pretty decent results.

Use Your Brian
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    @axisus Given that viruses can mutate, what are the chances of it evolving to become airborne?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    I have to admit that I am always impressed how the world pulls together with this sort of thing, people from different nations are over there helping, money and resources are going in, everyone is trying to improve the situation. I can't help thinking that if Islam's attempt at world domination ever comes to fruition none of them will give a sh*t about anyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
  • I heard downing a bottle of jack Daniels cures ebola, might have to get some practice in!
    Old Is Gold
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, there is no way it could ever get into this country from air travel, my mind was put at rest yesterday when I heard the questions on J. Vine show that travellers from those regions would be asked on arrival (or was it on Departure).

Lol, they were about as effective as Baldrick's interrogation technique in Blackadder Goes Forth.

"Are you a German Spy? If it was me I'd own up "

If you didn't listen to the programme, maybe you should, you might have to keep going back when you miss something due to laughing out loud.

Instead of me explaining my sarcasm, it's best to listen to the article, that's all I have to say on the matter.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Bucket said:
    @axisus Given that viruses can mutate, what are the chances of it evolving to become airborne?
    It probably has the same chance of building mini spitfires and strafing us!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    If Ebola can't be transferred, how the ruddy-blink are people catching it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    seany65 said:
    In the US and Europe it's mostly been health workers who have been at close quarters with many victims in Africa.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    seany65 said:

Playing with poo; we've been over this.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Or drug taking?

I think the friend in question was from before Decker became a folkie.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    mike_l said:

Or drug taking?

I think the friend in question was from before Decker became a folkie.
    Correct.