Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Walked out of a gig last night..

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4696
The Manfreds at York Grand Opera House.   Never, in 55 years of going to gigs, have I experienced such awful sound.

In the stalls, ten rows back and right in the middle, with the whole band playing there's a wall of noise with individual instruments pretty much unheard.  Except for a very toppy electric piano playing, apparently, out of key fiddly bits and a sax occasionally popping through but, again, seemingly at odds with the rest of the band. Backing vocals way too prominent and lead singers way too loud to the point of break up.

I thought it was my hearing aids so switched them off but mrs rlw confirmed it wasn't them, simply awful sound.    There was no mixing desk to be seen, perhaps in the wings?, and the band was playing through proper amps, some of which were miced up but not all.

We left at the end of the first half and my left ear is still ringing today.   It might have sounded like this on a bad day in the sixties but there really is no need for it today.

The audience was very muted too, some looking a bit uncomfortable, and the atmosphere in the hall was a bit strained.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Given what you’re saying about the atmosphere I’d say there were a lot of people there feeling pretty annoyed that they’d wasted ticket money as well as 2 hours of their lives for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw Marcus King this year in Manchester. Not the first time I’ve seen him; he’s a fine showman who can whip a crowd up no problem.

So why was he looking out at a muted response to the first half of the Manchester gig when he should have had us in the palm of his hand by that point? He looked puzzled. I’ll solve the puzzle for you, Marcus: it was impossible to make out what was going on in most of the songs. We couldn’t hear your guitar. All we could hear was THE DRUMS AS LOUD AS HELL.

I was stood directly behind the mixing desk, so goodness only knows what the soundman was hearing that I wasn’t.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Yip been there, Shine On ‘Britain's foremost Pink Floyd tribute band’ - we left at the interval absolutely dire sound and so loud it was painful! Simply distorted sound with nothing recognizable. We’ve seen some great tribute acts - Shine On aren’t one of them.
    The only other one as bad was Danny Bryant supporting Eric Gales! Fortunately Eric Gales lived up to the reviews.
  • Everyone walks out of gigs though....eventually. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    You'd think a band celebrating 60 years would have enough experience to get it right wouldn't you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    You'd think a band celebrating 60 years would have enough experience to get it right wouldn't you.
    The sound quality of a gig is usually down to the sound engineer though? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone walks out of gigs though....eventually. 
    But usually when the gig is over, non?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I've been to some gigs with awful sound:
    • Linkin Park at the O2: the upstairs speakers weren't switched on.
    • Marilyn Manson at Brixton Academy: you couldn't even tell what the recordings were that were playing through the system before the bands came on.
    • Mars Volta (somewhere in London): there were no vocals.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    I've heard bad sound almost as often as good - there's really no excuse for it now unless the sound engineer is clueless, deaf or stoned - or more than one of those - it's not going to be an equipment problem. I find it remarkable how many seem to not be able to hear what the sound is like and fix it.

Three particularly memorable ones...

I walked out of the Swans after about two songs because they were so loud I thought I might experience internal organ failure. To be fair, it wasn't a surprise - they were notorious for it. Couldn't hear anything other than a wall of noise even with earplugs in - I went to the bar above the venue where it was still perfectly audible and the mix was actually quite good.

Roy Harper had an appalling combination of muddy inaudible vocals topped with hideous scratchy piezo electro-acoustic guitar, I left that one too.

Bic Runga - a singer with a beautiful, delicate voice - had a mix so bad all you could hear was drums and bass, no vocals or guitar at all... until most of the crowd turned round to the sound desk and started loudly berating the engineer about it. It was drastically improved after that, and I stayed. (Actually the same venue as the Swans - perhaps the engineer was still deaf, although it was several years later!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787
    edited September 2023

The only one I ever walked out of (that I can recall) was Crass back in the 80s.

"What?" I hear you say, "surely Crass couldn't have been that bad?"

I googled to check the date and found this, so you can decide for yourselves.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    rlw said:
    The sound quality of a gig is usually down to the sound engineer though? 

Yes but I'm wondering if there was one, or whether the band just set up themselves....
  • The only ticketed gig I can remember walking out of was Furniture who were just very, very dull. I seem to remember The Damned as having a particularly terrible live sound but it was okay if you stood at the back of the hall. 
    I saw Fairport Convention live a few times almost just because I didn’t know live sound could be that good, whole new world of clarity opened up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I nearly walked out of Rival Sons at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 2019. Waaaaay too much bass drum in the mix which nearly ruined everything for me. In the end I only stayed to see what guitars Scott Holiday was going to play next. There's no excuse for having bad sound at the Usher Hall, where the natural acoustics are excellent.
  • Do you think the band knew @rlw? I wonder if it was ok stage or whether something out of the ordinary happened - you know equipment or sound man gets lost? If that was the case and you knew it was likely to affect the show you'd have to tell the audience no? 

Do you think others in the audience noticed? Did you speak to anyone?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22871
    I don't think I've ever walked out of a gig early, but I did fall asleep watching Meat Loaf.
    Do you think the band knew @rlw? I wonder if it was ok stage or whether something out of the ordinary happened - you know equipment or sound man gets lost? If that was the case and you knew it was likely to affect the show you'd have to tell the audience no? 

Do you think others in the audience noticed? Did you speak to anyone?

The people sitting around us were very still. No foot tapping, no clapping out of time, just a surprised look on their faces.  It was very odd.

And I don’t think the band knew at all as I think they would have wound it back a bit if they did.

And there was no obvious sound man …
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't think I've ever walked out of a gig early, but I did fall asleep watching Meat Loaf.
    Seems appropriate to be honest :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I left a Bob Mould gig at nottingham rescue rooms after 5 songs or so a few years back. Just a very loud barrage of drums, and it was so packed that there was no room on the floor to move your feet. (I mean avoiding getting cramp rather than dancing!)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11299
    I walked out of a gig bt a Belgian Jethro Tull tribute band.

Nothing wrong with the sound, though. It was a perfect reproduction of an appalling load of bollocks being played in stage. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    I walked out of a Dodgy gig at rock city, as they were crap.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1