Greta Van Fleet - revisited

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited October 2023 in Music
I guess like many I couldn't get past Greta Van Fleet's Led Zeppelin tribute antics when the first appeared so kind of dismissed them.

But...now have had another look a few years later and I am pleasantly surprised with their follow up stuff. I really quite like what I hear. Josh Kiszka has a distinctly powerful voice and they should quite unlike anything else around these days. It's a bit pixie rock but that's OK with me.

These 2 clips grabbed my attention:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Having right bother copy/pasting video clips from MacOS Sonoma into this forum!

• I don't hate them. The boy has some set of pipes that's for sure.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    I still find them hard work to listen to, but based on those two clips Josh Kiszka's finding his own voice rather than sounding just like Robert Plant.  He now looks even more like a Hobbit though...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely superb band, especially live. Saw them in Dublin last year. 

Interesting, the way they’re compared to LZ (who I can’t stand).
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    edited October 2023
    When the levee breaks...

(And is that Pagey's dragon jumpsuit?)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I think they are a really good kick-ass rock band. It's a shame that pretty much everywhere I see them mentioned the hate brigade show up in droves playing the Led Zep card. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    I really REALLY like them, and I loved their early stuff too when the Zep comparisons and snipes were at their most prevalent.  Sounding a bit like LZ is hardly a bad thing from where I sit, but I think they've moved way past that.

I'd go and see them live at the drop of a hat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    I think they are a really good kick-ass rock band. It's a shame that pretty much everywhere I see them mentioned the hate brigade show up in droves playing the Led Zep card. 
    You don't have to be part of a "hate brigade" to say they sound like Led Zeppelin if they do (or certainly did).  It's just a statement of fact.  Even Robert Plant commented on it.
    I've listened to all their albums this evening.  Fair play, Josh is definitely moving away from sounding like Plant (although I do think he sounds like Jon Anderson on a couple of the quieter tracks... ;) ).

I was half-expecting the latest album, Starcatcher, to be a departure into more diverse, maybe Queen-like territory, but it's actually quite a raw, stripped down sound.  The previous album is more of a big production.

They're fine.  But I'd have to listen more to see if anything really grows on me.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    axisus said:
    It's not great to be honest.

Top Trumps Pop Legends Led Zeppelin card(2015)

First Single 1969

UK No 1's.               0
    Hair and fashion.  8
    Fanciability.           10
    TopTrumps Rating 24

Top Track: Whole Lotta Love.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    I'm glad they're moving away from Zep sonically, but it still doesn't do much for me. 

I do wonder if they're trolling by saying they're not trying to be LZ - between the sound, the dragon suit, the guitarist's mannerisms and now the bassist doubling on organ... 

But I'm glad they exist and are doing well - anything that puts guitars on TV and in peoples ears is a good thing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    There are just so many bands doing the 70s rock thing so much better than them
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    Who? And why does it have to be a competition? Can they not just be accepted for who they are? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7156
    edited October 2023
    Reverend said:
    Not trying to pick a fight but please let me know your top 3 Rev.  I'm a huge 70s rock fan but like to buy something slightly more contemporary at times too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Great voice. 
    In the first clip he is sounding more like Jon Anderson from Yes than Robert Plant.

I do find the band a bit (or a lot) derivative and the drumming is solid but unremarkable, but Bonham was a musical genius and it is unfair to compare.

Doesn't move me, but maybe not made for me?
    I do wonder if they're trolling by saying they're not trying to be LZ - between the sound, the dragon suit, the guitarist's mannerisms and now the bassist doubling on organ... 
    Like Lenny Wolf from Kingdom Come saying he'd never heard of Led Zeppelin?  I think he did later admit that he might have been fibbing.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    You don't have to be part of a "hate brigade" to say they sound like Led Zeppelin if they do (or certainly did).  It's just a statement of fact.  Even Robert Plant commented on it.
    You are correct in that you don't 'have' to be, but so many people get really riled by it and get rather venomous. 
    Reverend said:
    Not trying to pick a fight but please let me know your top 3 Rev.  I'm a huger 70s rock fan but like to buy something slightly more contemporary at times too.
    I'm expecting a mention of Hallas.