Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Frozen, then nuked-up food

What's Hot
I've noticed it before with curry, and am noticing it again with today's chilli. On Tuesday I thought it was bland, but that one had not been frozen after making the batch, I'd just chilled it. I froze the rest, for later thawing & subsequent nuking. Today's portion from the same batch is a lot tastier. Has anyone else noticed similar?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's Ebola.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He should put it on an E-plate-a
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    That's kind of normal with most "stuff in sauce" isn't it? Not sure of the science behind it, but I've always been aware of it.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited October 2014
    Curry almost always tastes better if you cook it, let it cool down, stick it in the fridge, and reheat it the next day.  The flavours infuse more.  Not really sure if the same thing happens if you freeze it though.
    Yeah but what bellend makes a curry and then doesn't wolf it down straight away?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Wifey makes loads of stuff from scratch, so a lot gets frozen. Always found curries, chilli's, pasta sauces, and soups taste much better when reheated. No clue re the science but I know what me tummy likes.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited October 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah but what bellend makes a curry and then doesn't wolf it down straight away?
    The kind of bellend who makes a huge vatfull at the weekend because he knows he hasn't time during the week to make small portions. The kind of bellend who plans the tasks needed for self-maintenance, and tries to be prepared. The kind of bellend who knows it's more cost-effective to buy enough ingredients for a week's worth of workday lunches than smaller portions, and who also knows that cooking small amounts out of a larger quantity of ingredients is likely to leave the remainder to go off before being used.

I am that bellend.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. So, it could be that leaving it to cool down before freezing is enough, and it's not the freezing process that improves the flavour.

Another theory I've just thought up is that freezing may cause some of the lumpier bits to split - much like freezing a lettuce will turn it to mush, and much like how potholes are created by water freezing in cracks of roads. So, perhaps freezing food does help it to break down and thus taste better.

I can't imagine that microwaving has a massive effect. Doesn't it just heat the water particles in the food to boiling point, and they heat anything else up by conduction?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    The kind of bellend who makes a huge vatfull at the weekend because he knows he hasn't time during the week to make small portions. The kind of bellend who plans the tasks needed for self-maintenance, and tries to be prepared. The kind of bellend who knows it's more cost-effective to buy enough ingredients for a week's worth of workday lunches than smaller portions, and who also knows that cooking small amounts out of a larger quantity of ingredients is likely to leave the remainder to go off before being used.

I am that bellend.
    I admire you sir.

Every time we make a vat of curry, it lasts three days tops. We're addicted to the stuff.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. So, it could be that leaving it to cool down before freezing is enough, and it's not the freezing process that improves the flavour.

Another theory I've just thought up is that freezing may cause some of the lumpier bits to split - much like freezing a lettuce will turn it to mush, and much like how potholes are created by water freezing in cracks of roads. So, perhaps freezing food does help it to break down and thus taste better.

I can't imagine that microwaving has a massive effect. Doesn't it just heat the water particles in the food to boiling point, and they heat anything else up by conduction?
    Lettuce goes soggy when frozen for the same reason cells die in frostbite, moisture in the cells causes microscopic ice shards to form and puncture the cell wall and/or membrane.  Freeze/thaw weathering to roads is caused by cracks filling with water, which expand when they freeze and contract as they melt to water again. Not quite the same process, and I'm not sure how that applies to breaking up lumpy bits in curry? 

Microwaving wouldn't affect the taste of a curry unless you microwaved the Naan (Seriously, don't do that. it pretty much turns to rubber) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Hertz32 said:
    It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. So, it could be that leaving it to cool down before freezing is enough, and it's not the freezing process that improves the flavour.

Lettuce goes soggy when frozen for the same reason cells die in frostbite, moisture in the cells causes microscopic ice shards to form and puncture the cell wall and/or membrane.  Freeze/thaw weathering to roads is caused by cracks filling with water, which expand when they freeze and contract as they melt to water again. Not quite the same process, and I'm not sure how that applies to breaking up lumpy bits in curry? 

Microwaving wouldn't affect the taste of a curry unless you microwaved the Naan (Seriously, don't do that. it pretty much turns to rubber) 
    You clever little shit.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    It's basically marinating in the sauce, not so much when it's frozen but during the freezing and thawing process. Just leaving it in the fridge will have the same effect.
    Use Your Brian
  • It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. 
    Didn't work with the missus or the christmas sprouts
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    maltingsaudio;381983" said:
    roundthebend said:

It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. Didn't work with the missus or the christmas sprouts
    Sprouts are better the day after fried up with bacon. Nom nom. And in a ham broth.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited October 2014

I have left over chilli for tea tonight. I will conduct a highly scientific experiment this evening to ascertain its taste properties tonight versus those of yesterday, and I shall post my findings here tomorrow.

I may also compare my poos.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    jd0272 said:
    maltingsaudio;381983" said:
    roundthebend said:

It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. Didn't work with the missus or the christmas sprouts
    Sprouts are better thrown away.
    There, that's more accurate.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Back when I were a nipper, my step mum cooked up a big batch of chilli as she was going away for a while.  She left it in the brick built larder, so I assumed it was an OK place to keep it. 

It was damn hot, but I don't remember if the flavour improved much over subsequent days of reheating and serving, but when I went into the larder for yet another chilli supper, I found it ready simmering and bubbling away on it's own, without the addition of heat :-O , so I guess it was time for something else for supper ! 

Hardy little sods, those bacteria, that chilli was nearly neat and could stun at forty paces when it was fresh, goodness knows how they thrived and survived.

Maybe she was trying to tell me something  :-S

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    He should put it on an E-plate-a
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

I am that bellend.
    Very poetic!
  • I assume you are making a meat curry. The ice expands helping to break down the fat which is a flavour enhancer it also breaks down any membranes in the meat tissue allowing the spices to enfuse into the meat.