Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Frozen, then nuked-up food

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• As long as it's not "Frozen, Nuked Up then Puked Up" it's all good.

;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Any student can tell you that a lot of nosh tastes awesome reheated even many days after first cooking.

Especially curry, chilli, spag bol and that sort of thing, as some said it must be sitting in their sauces etc wot does it.

Intersetingly (well to me anyhow) that trust me I am a doctor were looking at cold then cold and reheated pasta etc had health benefits of sorts.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Drew_fx said:
    Hertz32 said:
    It's universally accepted that leaving these things to mature will improve the flavour. So, it could be that leaving it to cool down before freezing is enough, and it's not the freezing process that improves the flavour.

Another theory I've just thought up is that freezing may cause some of the lumpier bits to split - much like freezing a lettuce will turn it to mush, and much like how potholes are created by water freezing in cracks of roads. So, perhaps freezing food does help it to break down and thus taste better.

I can't imagine that microwaving has a massive effect. Doesn't it just heat the water particles in the food to boiling point, and they heat anything else up by conduction?
    Lettuce goes soggy when frozen for the same reason cells die in frostbite, moisture in the cells causes microscopic ice shards to form and puncture the cell wall and/or membrane.  Freeze/thaw weathering to roads is caused by cracks filling with water, which expand when they freeze and contract as they melt to water again. Not quite the same process, and I'm not sure how that applies to breaking up lumpy bits in curry? 

Microwaving wouldn't affect the taste of a curry unless you microwaved the Naan (Seriously, don't do that. it pretty much turns to rubber) 
    You clever little shit.
    Not as clever as these microbes that cause freezing in order to puncture the cell walls to feed:

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080228/full/news.2008.632.html
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    Okay, so you make a load of chilli or curry in one go to eat during the week.

If you eat that sort of stuff consistently (several times a week):
    a) how is it that your guts and tush haven't filed for divorce?
    b) how can you afford to have guitars and amps when surely most of your income is going to be spent on bogrolls?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• scrumhalf said:
    Okay, so you make a load of chilli or curry in one go to eat during the week.

If you eat that sort of stuff consistently (several times a week):
    a) how is it that your guts and tush haven't filed for divorce?
    b) how can you afford to have guitars and amps when surely most of your income is going to be spent on bogrolls?

lol ;)

I eat more stew these days than I do chilli or curry. This week I'm having mainly chilli con-carne con-Quornay (50/50 mixture) but 1 day I had chicken & veg curry from the back of the freezer, and on another day I had lamb & veg stew from wot I made last week. IIRC there's still some of that stew left so I can avoid having chilli for 5 days "on the trot" so to speak ;) As & when more microwave tubs become freed up I will probably do my usual chicken & veg stew.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Well I've just completed my analysis. The second day chilli had a more even flavour with a deeper heat, not hotter, deeper. Jolly tasty.

The second day poo was hotter than the first day one, though that may be due to some sort of  'compounded spicy bum event' phenomenon. I'll have to dig deeper in to that and poke about a bit. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I've just completed my analysis. The second day chilli had a more even flavour with a deeper heat, not hotter, deeper. Jolly tasty.

The second day poo was hotter than the first day one, though that may be due to some sort of  'compounded spicy bum event' phenomenon. I'll have to dig deeper in to that and poke about a bit. 

I didn't know you were into that sort of thing, Decker ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440

...I'll have to dig deeper in to that and poke about a bit. 

Isn't that how ebola spreads?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    scrumhalf said:

He's from Suffolk, they don't used bogroll, just some leaves from the trees.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom