Western Jam, Firebird Studios, Bristol, 25th February 2024

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited February 26
    another memorable moment -   @spark240 ;;; probably unintentionally but "nonchalantly"  leaning side on against the wall during London Calling (IIRC)  -  just really captured the mood

oh and Jem @SPECTRUM001 -  hate you...........................................  after 50 years of hating everything Fender "jag/must"  you guitars never didnt sound awesome especially clean,  so full. absolutely nailed the tone (and yours too @BahHumbug ;;   )  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2109
    bertie said:
    another memorable moment -   @spark240 ; probably unintentionally but "nonchalantly"  leaning side on against the wall during London Calling (IIRC)  -  just really captured the mood
    Ah yes....that's my relaxed look....;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654

bertie said:

oh and Jem @SPECTRUM001 -  hate you...........................................  after 50 years of hating everything Fender "jag/must"  you guitars never didnt sound awesome especially clean,  so full. absolutely nailed the tone (and yours too @BahHumbug ;;   )  
    ha ha, thanks @bertie - shame about the bozo playing them !!!

I thought the room sound and mix was excellent. So whilst we all spend waaayyy too much time on gas, it is the proof that good guitars and amps are worth it.

As for my JM and Mustang, they are both cheapish MiM Player models, that have been refinished and modded (pickups, tuners, fretwork etc). They are now exactly what I wanted - it took a while, but I got there... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 93
    Another successful team effort, sincerely hope that everyone enjoyed themselves. It was great to reconnect with some familar faces and to meet some new ones!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great photos guys :) Super turn out!

...and @Brocco - is that your Matchless I spy down the back on the left?
    Guilty as charged!  @roberty told me I was a 'bit loud' on The Darkness track, a proud moment indeed  ;)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10929
    Brocco said:
    Great photos guys :) Super turn out!

...and @Brocco - is that your Matchless I spy down the back on the left?
    Guilty as charged!  @roberty told me I was a 'bit loud' on The Darkness track, a proud moment indeed  ;)
    I hate being that guy, sorry! It was just a bit though
  • RR50RR50 Frets: 0
    Good to meet everyone and thanks for organising a great day
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    RR50 said:
    Good to meet everyone and thanks for organising a great day

did you make your meeting ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 351
    mrkb said:
    Might be worth spending a little more time setting up at next event. I tripped over a pedal board when trying to get to the drumkit early on (and we usually have more drummer changeovers than that) - let me know if I caused any damage. So suggest we try and keep the main area clearer.  

We also didnt get the amps back against the wall on the far wall - that would have made more space.

Could also do with spending a bit more time setting up the PA - I forgot to turn off the auto feedback suppressor, so it was cutting out alot of the mids during the event due to the guitars it was picking up from the vocal mics - sorry about that - it sounded great in my headphones (which didnt have the feedback frequencies cut)! 

Would it be worth saying - setup at 10 - playing starts at 11?
    Good suggestions Mark @mrkb ;.  I think playing didn’t really start until 11 anyway, but maybe it would be a good idea to state that as an intention next time.  Certainly when I’m setting up a mixer with mics etc I find helps not to have too many people around so I can concentrate.

As far as ‘amps against the back walll’ is concerned, my excuse is I just put mine down next to Pete’s!  Otherwise, guilty as charged.  I’ll know next time.
  • BahHumbug said:
    mrkb said:

...We also didnt get the amps back against the wall on the far wall - that would have made more space...

...As far as ‘amps against the back walll’ is concerned, my excuse is I just put mine down next to Pete’s!  Otherwise, guilty as charged.  I’ll know next time...
    Yes, I guess I should take the blame for that one. When next to the drums, I'm used to positioning my amp forward of the drum stool to avoid being too much in the drummer's ear. As that's generally preferred. But as @mrkb was wearing headphones, it didn't matter.  I'll know next time, otherwise I'll be told off by the bad cop :)

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7377
    BahHumbug said:
    mrkb said:

...We also didnt get the amps back against the wall on the far wall - that would have made more space...

...As far as ‘amps against the back walll’ is concerned, my excuse is I just put mine down next to Pete’s!  Otherwise, guilty as charged.  I’ll know next time...
    Yes, I guess I should take the blame for that one. When next to the drums, I'm used to positioning my amp forward of the drum stool to avoid being too much in the drummer's ear. As that's generally preferred. But as @mrkb was wearing headphones, it didn't matter.  I'll know next time, otherwise I'll be told off by the bad cop :)

You didnt do that with your bloody bass amp!!!!  ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:

You didnt do that with your bloody bass amp!!!!  ;)
    That wasn't next to the drums. @bobblehat's amp was next to the drums. We'll that's my excuse :)

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2109
    If I bring a Cans amp next time can we all have a headphone mix ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    If I bring a Cans amp next time can we all have a headphone mix ;-)

Now there's a thought. Or how about modellers with IEM's and get @BahHumbug to be the soundman :)

It's not a competition.
    Wanted to canvas views on when might be a good time for the next one?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7377
    Brocco said:
    23rd June?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Brocco said:
    23rd June?

I'm not available on the 23rd June, which might be a good time for anyone that doesn't want me to be there :)

I'm currently available any other Sunday in June or July or August.

It's not a competition.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6131
    I'm not available 16th & 23rd June or 21st July, but don't change anything for me if it works for everyone else.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10929
    May well be too hot if we do it in the middle of summer ;-) 

This could be a fun one to do, not much going on chord-wise and lots of space for noodlery. There's a breakdown section crying out for some weird effects

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    Brill - as far as I am aware, I am available most Sundays this summer (aside from July 28th - Womad weekend).