Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

AC/DC are back, and things have changed...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11707
    AC/DC are, for me, a bit like Thin Lizzy.  I've always wanted to like them but I've found myself unable to do so.  There doesn't mean to say I don't admire and respect them however.

I can't believe Brian J is 76 though - that's bloody crazy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know it's irrational and we've heard it a million times but whenever Angus kicks into a solo I still get very excited. 
    Dude's still got it!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22865
    Offset said:
    AC/DC are, for me, a bit like Thin Lizzy.  I've always wanted to like them but I've found myself unable to do so.  There doesn't mean to say I don't admire and respect them however.
    With you on Thin Lizzy, but I've always liked AC/DC... however I do think their best days are long behind them.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I saw them at the previous Donington show, 1981(?), but I've seen them a couple of times since.  Most recently at Wembley stadium, I've no idea what year but it doesn't seem that long ago.
    I think that was 1984...DC, Van Halen, Gary Moore, ZZ Top?, Y&T??
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    DefaultM said:
    yocky said:
    I know it's a bit a of a cliche to point out that Malcolm's parts were played pretty clean, but Stevie almost sounds like he's picked up an acoustic there.
    Was gonna ask why he’s playing through a Boss AC2.
    AC2/DC2 I think. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Malcome was the time keeper, Phil was the feel. I had a hard time accepting them without Bon Scott but this is a cover band.
  • StefB said:
    DefaultM said:
    yocky said:
    I know it's a bit a of a cliche to point out that Malcolm's parts were played pretty clean, but Stevie almost sounds like he's picked up an acoustic there.
    Was gonna ask why he’s playing through a Boss AC2.
    AC2/DC2 I think. 
    Dirt and ODs done dirt cheap?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    I saw them at the previous Donington show, 1981(?), but I've seen them a couple of times since.  Most recently at Wembley stadium, I've no idea what year but it doesn't seem that long ago.
    1981:  AC/DC, Whitesnake, Blue Öyster Cult, Slade, Blackfoot, More (as in the band More, not "... and more").

I remember I had a homemade Blackfoot T-shirt with their logo drawn in permanent marker... which turned out to be not-so-permanent when it pissed down with rain all day.  On a positive note, I and my friend Hugh Blackwood met and had a chat with Mick Box from Uriah Heep.  Who is very small.

You're right though, I'd forgotten that AC/DC did also headline in 1984 and that was "the previous Donington show", but I didn't go  that year.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    1981:  AC/DC, Whitesnake, Blue Öyster Cult, Slade, Blackfoot, More (as in the band More, not "... and more").

I remember I had a homemade Blackfoot T-shirt with their logo drawn in permanent marker... which turned out to be not-so-permanent when it pissed down with rain all day.  On a positive note, I and my friend Hugh Blackwood met and had a chat with Mick Box from Uriah Heep.  Who is very small.

You're right though, I'd forgotten that AC/DC did also headline in 1984 and that was "the previous Donington show", but I didn't go  that year.
    Nice...1984 was the first time Donington appeared on my radar...it was a legendary spectacle in a far off land back then.
    I did the first two, 1980 and 1981.  Haven't been to any kind of music festival since!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7242
    I missed two opportunities to see them live back when they were at their best (opinions on "at their best" era will vary), and I really regret it now, because some bands are never really the same as they get older and some members are no longer there.  I love Angus's guitar sound.  Some of his most memorable solos are the ones that aren't hugely technical and complicated, but it's like he's squeezing every ounce of tone from the guitar.  Brian's vocals are either love it or hate it, and much parodied, but they fit the music and he's a fantastic front man.

I've only ever been to one large "stadium" concert and one "festival".  The others have been fair sized auditorium / concert hall "arena" concerts that were hard enough to get out and back into the floor crowd to get to and from the bog.  I often wonder what people in the standing area do at venues like the massive River Plate stadium.  Do you just piss on the ground and hope nobody around you complains, or catheterise yourself before going in?
    BillDL said:
    I often wonder what people in the standing area do at venues like the massive River Plate stadium.  Do you just piss on the ground and hope nobody around you complains, or catheterise yourself before going in?
    I do remember that for both of my Castle Donington Monsters of Rock attendances, I didn't eat or drink all day and somehow managed to do without the toilets (or indeed pissing on the spot).  The toilet facilities looked rank, and I was afraid I'd never find my way back to my friends if I did use them.
  • I only saw them once - on the Black Ice tour, which feels recent but is already 15 years ago.

Whatever it is they had, they still very much had it - and in spades - in 2008.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    I learnt guitar listening to Angus and Malc on cassette rewinding countless times until I worked out every chord and note.  Their Live In Paris concert video is my favourite, raw, real,  awesome.  
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    With you on Thin Lizzy, but I've always liked AC/DC... however I do think their best days are long behind them.
    For me that would have been when Bon Scott pegged it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    BillDL said:
    I often wonder what people in the standing area do at venues like the massive River Plate stadium.  Do you just piss on the ground and hope nobody around you complains, or catheterise yourself before going in?
    I do remember that for both of my Castle Donington Monsters of Rock attendances, I didn't eat or drink all day and somehow managed to do without the toilets (or indeed pissing on the spot).  The toilet facilities looked rank, and I was afraid I'd never find my way back to my friends if I did use them.
    If you're anything like me, that would never happen today :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Who’s playing drums now?
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BillDL said:
    If you're anything like me, that would never happen today :-)
    I'm not too bad actually, but I make sure I drink plenty of fluids nowadays so the toilet would have been required at some point!  It's academic though, I'm never going to another music festival. 
    Who’s playing drums now?
    An American guy called Matt Laug.  They've made no announcements about Phil's absence or whether this is a permanent change, a temporary replacement or even just a one-off for the show they just played.