NAD: Marshall beauty

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24781
    NickB said:
    11 valves... The cost of a full re-valve... ouch!
    I nearly bought a Mesa 400+ once until I did the maths of ownership...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    Don't want to be *that* guy, but I've just taken my 6100 off the shelf ... and sure enough ... the 3 front-panel channel switches aren't working.

I have a 100W clean-Fender-voiced Marshall. Yay!!!

Will try the footswitch later...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    And since we're worrying about 6100 MIDI/switching issues, here's a useful resource. Someone has dived deep into the logic problems and created affordable solutions, including programming the EEPROMs that Marshall no longer does.

His old web site still accessible here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20220122075639/http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze1u14s/petes6100midisupportservice/index.html

And he's still posting elsewhere, see anatoli, post #4 on this page:
    https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/petes-6100-midi-website.134398/
  • 59burst59burst Frets: 0
    I love my mine, also got a brass head. Got them signed by Jim marshall years ago.

Ive never had any major problems with them in the 20+ years I've had them. I just send off to Marshall for servicing when needed, although as said earlier a little pricey if your revalving and replacing pots.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 469
    I have a brass one that I got back in the early 90’s - in fact I still have the cardboard box - jeez.  Never let me down even tho I don’t use it much now.  Heard that Eddie Hall uses them for farmers walk challenges.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 59burst59burst Frets: 0
    They are bloody heavy like, you need to be careful for hernias
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    It's heavy right enough. I'd take a punt that the magnet on the driver alone weighs more than my Mesa Mini Rec head. 

Sounds fucking glorious though.
  • I don’t know what it is - looks like some kind of weird marshall
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Is this the 6100? I remember these. Ty Tabor (Kings X) used one on 'Ear Candy' and 'Tape Head'. Good tones.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72942
    edited February 19
    They do sound fantastic - and are also one of the only 1x12” combos I’ve heard that doesn’t get ‘lost’ on a big stage or outdoors, other than an EV-equipped Mesa Mark series. But the reliability issues are a real bugbear unfortunately - it’s not just the switching, although that’s certainly one of the most common issues. The combo is even worse than the head - all the PCBs being stacked on top of the heat from the valves wasn’t really an ideal design decision…

But enjoy it while it works .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randellarandella Frets: 4374
    Yep, that's the plan! It's not getting gigged, and certainly not run at anywhere near the full reach of the power amp - even with a reactive load. Just doesn't need it to sound magnificent.
  • Great amp. Played a few of the heads. Enjoy!
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 367
    I've just taken my 6100 off the shelf .
    Putting one on a shelf is...brave...