The cab is more important than the amp.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2315
    ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:
    So here’s an interesting thing I discovered recently. I have a 1x12 that Martin (MJW) built for me. It’s got feet on two sides so you can stand it on end (portrait) or on its side (landscape). In the same room, in the same spot it sounds like two different cabinets depending on which way it’s stood…..
    Yes, because the acoustic coupling of the speaker to the floor is quite different, as well as the off-axis dispersion of different frequencies.

If you suspended it in mid-air at head height and stood directly in front of it, it would (or should!) make no difference which way round it is. (But no-one does that :).)
    It’s got feet horizontally and vertically. How can the coupling be different??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    ICBM said:

Cabs make a big difference to the tone, but they can't change the overall sound of the amp.
    I present the Shitwand (trademark pending). 25x1. Made everything sound like a broken resonator.

(though your point has general validity) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7055
    edited October 2023
    Nerine said:
    ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:
    So here’s an interesting thing I discovered recently. I have a 1x12 that Martin (MJW) built for me. It’s got feet on two sides so you can stand it on end (portrait) or on its side (landscape). In the same room, in the same spot it sounds like two different cabinets depending on which way it’s stood…..
    Yes, because the acoustic coupling of the speaker to the floor is quite different, as well as the off-axis dispersion of different frequencies.

If you suspended it in mid-air at head height and stood directly in front of it, it would (or should!) make no difference which way round it is. (But no-one does that .)
    It’s referring to the interaction between the sound wave and the floor. With a horizontal speaker arrangement the floor is closer to the two speakers than in a vertical arrangement, so the reflection of the soundwave back into the room is stronger.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73099
    Nerine said:

Thats not what’s meant by coupling in an acoustic sense - it’s that the distance of the speaker from the floor affects the reinforcement and cancellation of frequencies in the reflected sound waves from the floor with the ones directly from the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerineNerine Frets: 2315
    edited October 2023
    ICBM said:
    Nerine said:

Thats not what’s meant by coupling in an acoustic sense - it’s that the distance of the speaker from the floor affects the reinforcement and cancellation of frequencies in the reflected sound waves from the floor with the ones directly from the speaker.
    Ah, ignore me. I’ve read the cab spec again. I thought it was a square/cube 1x12. If it is rectangle, yeah, it’ll sound a bit different depending on orientation. 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Nerine said:
    ICBM said:
    Nerine said:

Ah, ignore me. I’ve read the cab spec again. I thought it was a square/cube 1x12. If it is rectangle, yeah, it’ll sound a bit different depending on orientation. 
    And it’s semi open back with a slot across the middle of the back running the longer of the two lengths. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31970
    Rowby1 said:
    ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:

If you suspended it in mid-air at head height and stood directly in front of it, it would (or should!) make no difference which way round it is. (But no-one does that :).)
    Makes me wonder what a Fender Twin sounds like stood on its side. :)
    Name a date and we'll all come round and help you tip it on its side.
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Neilybob said:
    I chuckled at this title but actually I recall taking my Orange Jim Root 2x12 to a jam and plugged into @Jonathangus amazing JMP 50 after it was plugged into his traditional cab and wow it made such a difference.  It actually sounded more modern. 
    But it didn't sound like a 5150, did it...

No, it still sounded like a 2204.  But, as Neil said, a more modern flavour of 2204.  His cab was a closed-back 2x12 with (I think) Orange's version of a V30, while mine was a 1x12 open-back with a V-Type.  Mine definitely had a more vintage flavour, but didn't sound 'small' next to the 2x12.  I've since picked up a Matrix NL212, which is different again (and weighs about the same as my 1x12).
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb