Kinda wanna do without an amp

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 227
So I'm looking into the idea of selling my valve amp and just using some sort of amp/cab simulator pedal for recording, practice and playing live. This is basically so I can just have everything fitting nice and compact on my pedalboard. I'm new to all this modern amp/cab sim technology and was just wondering what kind of set up the Fretboarders are using in this respect? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated as I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this sort of thing!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 420
    edited October 2023
    If you like fiddling then Amplitube etc is  great, if like me you'll spend more time fiddling than playing then  maybe not so much. I bought a Quilter superblock UK , its small, loud and can run from pedalboard power supply (9v) for 1w power or from its own supply for 25 watts, has a loop, line out, cab sims (which I quite like) and a lovely built in reverb. 
    Thats my two penneth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27834
    edited October 2023
    It's never been a better time for amp-less setups. 

I've had an HX Stomp for years and use it all the time at home. For live I just picked up an Origin RevivalDrive which is ace. I'm plugging into the front of an amp, but I'm sure it'd be just as good into any decent IR/cab sim and straight to the PA or FRFR speaker. Or power amp and regular guitar cab if you're inclined. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4397
    I'm now using a setup which is a pedalboard going into a guitar cab and couldn't be happier. I have two amp-in-a-box style pedals on there (a Revival Drive Compact and a Revv G3), individual fx pedals and then at the end is a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. That then goes off to a 1x12 compact Boogie Thiele cab. So much flexibility and sounds amazing at any volume without having to piss about with attenuators etc. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 332
    edited October 2023
    I’m selling my Victory The Copper pedalboard amp if you want the best of both worlds. 

Edit - sorry if that came off as a rude attempt to drive a sale. 

So I’ve been through the same thoughts as you. Frankly it was the best decision I could have made as the little pedalboard amps now sound fabulous, have tons of features, and can drive at gig-level should you need it. They really are tremendous. I’ve always leaned towards gain driven by tubes rather than pedals, so for me the Victory was ideal. Plus silent headphone output and IRs designed by Chris Buck. If that doesn’t float you, there are plenty of good solid state options. 

There are few, if any, downsides. This is the future, I’m pretty sure of it. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2315
    Perhaps check out the Friedman IR-X. 

Plenty of solutions these days. And nearly all of them viable. 

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    edited October 2023
    I went amp less - used (and still own and use) HD Pro X Pod and an Atomic Firebox MKII - monitored from my LoudBox mini - or monitors/headphones all works and sounds great.

I then bought an Orange Cr60c - turns out Valves are not my thing but I want that 'in the room sound/feel' because it pleases me

There are any number of options out there - The great news is there are so many really great products available that once you understand what will meet your needs you'd struggle to make a bad choice ;)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7055
    pt22 said:
    I’m selling my Victory The Copper pedalboard amp if you want the best of both worlds. 

So I’ve been through the same thoughts as you. Frankly it was the best decision I could have made as the little pedalboard amps now sound fabulous, have tons of features, and can drive at gig-level should you need it. They really are tremendous. I’ve always leaned towards gain driven by tubes rather than pedals, so for me the Victory was ideal. Plus silent headphone output and IRs designed by Chris Buck. If that doesn’t float you, there are plenty of good solid state options. 

It’s so good that you want to sell it?!? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    Would this be any good? I’m thinking of getting one to replace my heavy Carvin stuff. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Whilst you are looking at options, don’t dismiss the Simplifier, there is a few adoptees on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 332
    mrkb said:
    pt22 said:

It’s so good that you want to sell it?!? ;)
    Ha. Like many others before me, I have succumbed to GAS. 

• What valve amp have you been using and what is on your pedal board?

Some of the suggestions so far have not been ampless, but have included a power amp so you can connect to a speaker if required. Would you need this option?

How do you feel about digital pedals that have lots of options and menus to go through and ones that work best with an app to manipulate? 

Or do you prefer something simpler where all of the basic controls are to hand?

Generally, there are 4 main items that need to be replicated for an ampless rig. The pre amp, power amp, speaker and microphone. Some options have all of these things in one package, others only one or a combination of some of them. You may not need all of them either.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12469
    pt22 said:
    I’ve always leaned towards gain driven by tubes rather than pedals, so for me the Victory was ideal.
    You are Lee Anderton, and ICM £5
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What valve amp have you been using and what is on your pedal board?

Some of the suggestions so far have not been ampless, but have included a power amp so you can connect to a speaker if required. Would you need this option?

How do you feel about digital pedals that have lots of options and menus to go through and ones that work best with an app to manipulate? 

Or do you prefer something simpler where all of the basic controls are to hand?

Generally, there are 4 main items that need to be replicated for an ampless rig. The pre amp, power amp, speaker and microphone. Some options have all of these things in one package, others only one or a combination of some of them. You may not need all of them either.
    I've been using a Princeton Reverb clone and my pedalboard just has an Xotic wah, Korg tuner, Mad Professor Royal Blue OD and a RYRA Klone.

Yes I would need the option of a power amp to connect to a speaker for small live gigs that don't have a PA.

Preferably I'd like something that has all the controls to hand, the simpler the better.

Thanks
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 237
    I use a Origin FX Revival Drive with pedals into Cabzeus Mono. I gig with a fender amp but use this set up for practice / if my amp goes down. Sounds good into RCF PA. I also have a helix thats a good choice.

IMG_0637.jpeg 290.5K