Speaker suggestions - Marshall Jubilee 2553

What's Hot
I have a 50 watt Marshall Jubilee with a matching 2556 2x12 cab loaded with G12T-75 speakers.

I play the gamut of tones from squeaky clean, edge/crunch, to squealing feedback distortion.

Styles are in the surf, punk, funk, reggae world with a bit of classic to heavy rock and blues. No modern metal or chug. Not that I don’t like it, just don’t play it.

I really like the amp and for me it covers all I need. It has a good master volume for home playing too.

I’ve never dabbled with other speakers and would like to put it too the forum for recommendations for something else to try. I feel there may be an option that is more suited to what I play.

I was there thinking the G12M-65 or Marshall Vintage 30, either as a pair or perhaps a combination of.

Any thoughts are welcomed!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7898
    edited October 2023
    2x G12m-65 if you play at high volume otherwise 2x g12m-25 will give more detail at lower volumes.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73075
    Marshall Vintage and Heritage pair, like in the TSL/JVM 2x12" cabs and combos.

I have exactly that in an old TSL combo cab, it sounds outstanding for all Marshall sounds from vintage to modern. I don't really use it now though, I'd consider selling them to you if we were closer...

Otherwise, G12-65s, Creamback G12M-65s, G12H-75s (pairs or one of each), Classic Lead 80s, G12H-30s (especially Heritage) and G12M-25s all sound good with more or less any Marshall. The Creamback Neo is a possibility if you want to reduce the weight a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Winny_Pooh and @ICBM thanks for the suggestions chaps, much appreciated.

The Creambacks seem very favourable these days. I have a friend with one in his combo so will see if I can give it a try with my amp.

Would I be looking for 2 x 16ohm? I’m not at home for a week so can’t check what’s in there at the moment.

I’m intrigued by the Marshall Vintage and Heritage pairing. Also the lower wattage suggestions. Lots of options! Thanks for the offer @ICBM I most probably would have taken you up on that if closer.

Would I be looking for 2 x 16ohm? I’m not at home for a week so can’t check what’s in there at the moment.
    The stock wiring is two 16-ohm speakers to give an 8-ohm cabinet. You could rewire it to 16 ohms with two 8-ohm speakers in series if it was useful for an amp with only a 16-ohm output, but since the amp has an 8-ohm setting anyway there's not much point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24879
    G12-65.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11767
    tFB Trader
    A few of the Jubilee series amps use the new at that time Celestion S-12 Sidewinder which is a very revealing speaker.
    I have a number of them and I do like them.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

A few of the Jubilee series amps use the new at that time Celestion S-12 Sidewinder which is a very revealing speaker.
    Absolutely amazing speakers, but hard to find now, and definitely a very ‘modern’ sound. (Although they’re nearly forty years old now!)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited October 2023
    Marshall Vintage speakers sound best with the Jubilee to me. Like a V30 but better. I also liked my 2525H with the Neo Creamback and Creamback H.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited October 2023
    I have a vintage series G12H 70th anniversary for sale in the classifieds
    https://i.imgur.com/dyey48P.jpg https://i.imgur.com/h0VrkbV.jpg
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2621
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Absolutely amazing speakers, but hard to find now, and definitely a very ‘modern’ sound. (Although they’re nearly forty years old now!)
    I bought a few years ago and then sold them on before trying them, fortunately I know who has them and he has a stock pile too!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I have a few Sidewinders and use them in my Silver Jubilee.  They work really well with it.  I did have the full range (10, 12 and 15), but hurricane Sandy took out my 15 and one of my 12's (I've still got 4 more).  I like the sound, but they don't work with all amps.  My Ceriatone Overtone Special doesn't really like them at all.  
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    One thing I read before getting my 2553 half stack was that back then you could upgrade for the new at the time V30s. 
    I think @DanGowerAmps is selling some. 

I have no use for that cab in my setup but that's what I'd put in it were I to use it. 
  • Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Speakers and cabs is a rabbit hole I have never really entered. I knew it was a deep one so I was keeping my foot in the ‘ignorance is bliss’ camp.

@felineguitars I’ve not heard of the Sidewinder. Looks cool, sure sums up an era and target market.

I’ve bought a ‘good condition’ Heritage G12-65 and Marshall Vintage (from @DanGowerAmps - thanks for the heads up @Catthan, secured it earlier today before you posted). Interested to hear how they both sound on their own and as a combination.

I presume it’s ok to just install both in the cab but only wire one up, select the correct impedance on the amp, and test? Then wire both up together, select the correct impedance on the amp, to hear as combination.

Any suggestion as to what should go on the top and what on the bottom? I was thinking G12-65 on the bottom and the Vintage on top. The 2556 cab is a diagonal 2 x 12.

After listening to some YouTube recordings of the G12-65 I thought it sounded very good. But hard to tell so figured the only way is to get this and the Vintage to try. I’d also like to try G12-25Ms as @Winny_Pooh suggested for low volumes. Then can keep what I like and shift what is surplus (will that really happen though?! It must!).

I image cabs will be next thing to tinker with. I have had the same amp/cab setup for 20 years though so I think fair to see what else I might like.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Where’s the snake label?!

Any suggestion as to what should go on the top and what on the bottom? I was thinking G12-65 on the bottom and the Vintage on top. The 2556 cab is a diagonal 2 x 12.
    Definitely the other way round - you want the more efficient speaker at the bottom or it will over-dominate since you hear the top speaker more, and in an angled cab the top speaker always sounds brighter (or harsher), so you want the higher-sensitivity V30 at the bottom and the smoother 65 at the top.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Definitely the other way round - you want the more efficient speaker at the bottom or it will over-dominate since you hear the top speaker more, and in an angled cab the top speaker always sounds brighter (or harsher), so you want the higher-sensitivity V30 at the bottom and the smoother 65 at the top.
    @ICBM that makes sense. Thanks so much!
  • My two pence worth here would be Jensens https://www.thomann.de/gb/jensen_c12n_vintage_8ohm.htm?glp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_sqFgbKTggMVwu7tCh3msQ18EAQYBCABEgL9lvD_BwE 

They tend to be less brash than the Celestions so if you don’t need the hard edge this would be my recommendation. Points also for weight reduction!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wineredwinered Frets: 81
    I have a Jet City vertical 2 x 12. It came loaded with two Vintage 30s. I liked the sound but wanted to lighten the weight a bit. Having used and destroyed a Neo Creamback in another cab I thought I would try a V type Neo at the top of the Jet City. It sounded quite unimpressive till it broke in but now it sounds great to my ears. And my back likes it too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 847
    edited October 2023
    I quite like the V types but it seems not many on here do. Less ‘ice pick’ than a V30 to my ears. But V30’s on the bottom of a 4x12 or vertical 2x12 sound ok too. I have liked the g12m 65 Creamback but have sold all mine now! Try a V type but give it a chance to break in before you flip it!