Speaker suggestions - Marshall Jubilee 2553

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• barrettisgoldbarrettisgold Frets: 11
    edited November 2023
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I’ve bought at Vintage 30 from Dan Gower and a Heritage g12-65 from Reverb. They have both arrived and just need to hook them up.

The g12-65 doesn’t have tabs to slide the connectors on to. Could any one recommend the best way to add the tabs and what size to get (presuming there is a standard size)?

Pic of the g12-65:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    You need to cut the terminals off the wires and solder them to the speaker.

I would clean the old solder off the lower terminals first so you can wrap the wire properly through the hooks - put some kitchen roll under the terminals to stop any falling onto the cone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    You need to cut the terminals off the wires and solder them to the speaker.

I would clean the old solder off the lower terminals first so you can wrap the wire properly through the hooks - put some kitchen roll under the terminals to stop any falling onto the cone.
    Marvellous, thank you for the advice
  • Update:

I soldered up the G12-65. It was a bit fiddly for me to solder  both the cab socket and speaker link wires on together as they both had to go on the same small tab but the joint looked sound.

I put the G12-65 on top and the V-30 on the bottom. The layout of the cab is diagonal.

At home playing volumes they did they sound good. A fuller and thicker sound than the G12-75Ts I had in there. But without being able to A/B due to only having one cab I could only go from memory. What was interesting, that having two different speakers produced a subtle stereo effect. At home I tend to sit on the floor in front of the cab so this was a pleasant surprise and gave a little spread and depth to the sound.

Last night I took the cab to a jam with some friends and could turn the amp up a bit. I was really pleased with the sound. The same as I felt at home but more pronounced because it was louder. Fuller and thicker.

At the end the session the drummer asked if it was my amp. I replied it was the same as I had last time we played and he said ‘wow, it’s punchy!’. The other guitar player also commented that had a lot of punch to it. I was well chuffed but driving home afterwards I thought that maybe they were politely saying that I was too loud! To be fair, I run a Boss CS-2 as a boost first in the chain. I hadn’t realised that the level control had been knocked down meaning it was attenuating the volume so when I was playing I thought I was quiet, turned the amp up and switched to the 50watt mode (usually I run at half power). Then when I turned the CS-2 off it was pretty loud!

Anyway, I’m really pleased and thank you all for your help, recommendations and advice
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    The lack of punch before is a characteristic of G12T-75s - they’re a quite scooped mid, loose bottom end speaker. The V30 in particular has a tight low-end and a big mid peak so it really punches through a mix… sometimes too much so, which is also why it’s best at the bottom of the cab. The 65 is tighter than the 75 too, as well as warmer and smoother.

Glad it’s worked out - speaker swaps can be a real test of trial and error unless someone has already done it, there sometimes seem to be quite unexpected results!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The lack of punch before is a characteristic of G12T-75s - they’re a quite scooped mid, loose bottom end speaker. The V30 in particular has a tight low-end and a big mid peak so it really punches through a mix… sometimes too much so, which is also why it’s best at the bottom of the cab. The 65 is tighter than the 75 too, as well as warmer and smoother.

Glad it’s worked out - speaker swaps can be a real test of trial and error unless someone has already done it, there sometimes seem to be quite unexpected results!
    Yes, there are so many variables involved to judge a speaker (cab, guitar, room, etc.) that I can see trial and error is the best way and not just judging it on the speakers characteristics in isolation. It’s easier to make a judgement when the cab is always in the same location with the same amp, i.e. playing at home. But once you start changing location, the room obviously has a big effect on what you are hearing as well as just moving a metre or so in any direction as you are playing. I guess that is one reason why in-ears and modelling are so popular now, a consistent sound.