Goldtop NGD but not what you think

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    TheMarlin said:
    Cool looking thing.  Not a style I would normally warm too,  but has its own cool vibe. I hope it gives you decades of happiness 
    Thanks man, I do prefer the unusual so long as there's quality in it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    That's awesome  =)
    Dave_Mc said:
    That's awesome  =)
    Thanks man
  • I have a bare knuckle true grit p90 in the bridge of my PJD and also find it quite harsh but tameable with volume and tone adjustments. The first time I played it, plugging into an amp that was set up for a PAF style humbucker, it almost took my face off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have a bare knuckle true grit p90 in the bridge of my PJD and also find it quite harsh but tameable with volume and tone adjustments. The first time I played it, plugging into an amp that was set up for a PAF style humbucker, it almost took my face off.
    Same here. After a few adjustments to the amp and the tone control I'm now thinking it's one of the best sounding things ever. I think I may be a P90 convert.  Humbuckers are starting to sound muffled suddenly!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    Wonky said:
    I have a bare knuckle true grit p90 in the bridge of my PJD and also find it quite harsh but tameable with volume and tone adjustments. The first time I played it, plugging into an amp that was set up for a PAF style humbucker, it almost took my face off.
    Same here. After a few adjustments to the amp and the tone control I'm now thinking it's one of the best sounding things ever. I think I may be a P90 convert.  Humbuckers are starting to sound muffled suddenly!
    P90s can be a bit of a culture shock to those raised on humbuckers :-) But a good shock! 
    Awesome guitar!  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Wonky said:
    P90s can be a bit of a culture shock to those raised on humbuckers :-) But a good shock! 
    Awesome guitar!  

Why thankyou Sir.
    I've got  a lot of single coils and humbuckers, but never had a P90 before.  I think it won't be my last P90 guitar.
    I've not even tried it with my number 1 amp yet as it blew up just as I got the guitar, so still something great to come I hope.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    Wonky said:
    Awesome guitar!  
    When Seth Lover designed the first PAF humbuckers the aim supposedly was to make them sound as close as possible to P90s but without the hum. I guess the people you’re talking about above were raised on somewhat higher output humbuckers than PAFs though.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Wonky said:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ksEzmzUSsKKARp6SA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8rim6Ss9oXtrG2u5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/taHn8Lk9jZd786SG6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NpLTmMijm1M6x54A

So I've had this a couple of weeks now.  Bought it off a really nice guy on  Ebay and drove to a half way point between us to pick it up.
    I've had a glaring hole in my guitar collection for some time , what with not having a P90 equipped guitar.  I felt I was probably missing out on some different tones.
    It's a Grainger Attis and the build quality is simply outstanding.  It plays really nice, sounds really nice and looks stunning in person too.   Neck is perfection and the fretwork supered.  I've never been a natural fan of gold tops, but this does look nice to be fair. It's got Bareknuckle old guard P90's in it.  The neck pickup is lovely and warm sounding, but I initially found the bridge pickup very trebly and a bit harsh.  I realised then that the tone control is important for this and sure enough it's making some of the finest tones I can imagine.    A good array of great tones to be had, so I was missing out after all, just had to learn how to use P90's was all.
    I've got a healthy guitar collection of some  high end  instruments, but this one has the longest natural sustain of anything I have for some reason, which surprises me a little with it being a bolt on neck.  It's also the most stable for tuning .  I put a new set of NYXL 10-46 on it straight away and it hasn't budged since, despite me playing the hell out of for the last couple of weeks.  It's got Hipshot locking tuners, but I was a little sceptical about the bar across the strings on the headstock, but turns out it works without causing any issue at all.  The bridge is of Graingers own making and it's a very well made thing.  Perfectly machined and looks like a fairly heavy affair, which probably contributes to that magic sustain.  
    All in all, I'm pretty damn pleased with it.
    Only just come across this thread, so pleased you love this guitar.  This was one originally made for Leo & Ted’s guitar shop.  The styling nod to the classic gold top worked really well